Facebook | News

Homophobic 'Sagging Pants' Warning Circulates on Facebook

Saggingpants

DailyKos calls it out:

It's false. Completely false. It's worked so well because it preys on teenagers' homophobia. Since there's a ton of insecurity among teenagers when it comes to sexuality, the story was written specifically to prey on teenagers' homophobia so they would pull their pants up for fear of being thought gay.

Do your part to help stop this homophobic myth by telling people that this story is bogus and does nothing but spread homophobia. Find another way to tell kids to pull their pants up.

Comments

1. Anyone in the gay community, who often pushes the limits of taste and appropriateness (which I fully support) has a double standard if they take issue with saggy pants.

Posted by: DJ | Jun 20, 2012 2:59:07 PM

2. I just don't understand why the guys who do this don't wear better underwear? You would think they would have clean, nice and maybe some fancy pants, but no...dirty dollar store brand boxers or worse. Ugh.

Oh yes, I get the point of this being homophobic. It essentially says "dont sag or people will think you are gay" so for that logic to work, gay must equal bad, which then equals homophobic.

Posted by: beef and fur | Jun 20, 2012 3:06:59 PM

3. In any case, it's really the most ridiculous fashion trend I've ever seen... and I've been around quite awhile.

I also don't understand how they keep their pants from falling down and it certainly can't be comfortable.

Posted by: Married in Mass | Jun 20, 2012 3:08:42 PM

4. Hmm, I always thought that sagging pants were homoerotic anyway, but I think that the sagging pants story is very much true, because those who are denying it are simply doing it because of their own internal homophobia as they like to sag their pants and show off their butts to other men.

Posted by: Jose S | Jun 20, 2012 3:25:23 PM

5. It is homophobic and the the guys on here who don't see that are not very informed. If someone is trying to discourage something by saying you will look gay if you do it, and you wouldn't want THAT now would you? How is that not anti-gay?
    I don't like the look of the sagging pants either, but it's just another fashion fad that will pass with time. Let them do what they want. When I was younger, I liked to dress in vintage clothes. My mom hated it and said I looked like a bum. We don't dress to please an older generation.

Posted by: Insensitivefools | Jun 20, 2012 3:36:24 PM

6. Myth is distorted...belts are confiscated when arrested, hence the baggy pants. That is all.

Posted by: yep | Jun 20, 2012 3:45:45 PM

7. It is absolutely homophobic, and in the purest sense of the word. It plays on straight guys' fear of us f_gs, or of even worse, appearing to be one of us.

As for the fashion aspect, most of you are saying exactly the same kind of things that the old fogeys were saying about our long hair back in the 60s. Now that I'm old I refuse to be a fogey. Purple hair? Lip rings? Ear lobes the size of quarters? It's all good, dude.

Besides, those saggers can be kind of sexy.

Posted by: Jacques | Jun 20, 2012 4:12:29 PM

8. I read that as 'gays are so ready for anal sex anytime and anywhere that they can't be bothered to pull up their pants'.

Which is very homophobic and offensive, even more offensive than people wearing saggy pants.

Posted by: Tanoka | Jun 20, 2012 4:13:19 PM

9. I think the point that most of us who don't view this as homophobic are saying:

Nowhere in this poster is the word "GAY" or "HOMOSEXUAL" used.

Nowhere.

If you know anything about Kinsey or any other sexual studies, you'll know that many otherwise straight men resort to same-sex situations in prison, regardless of how they self-identify otherwise. The only thing this poster mentions is anal penetration. Anal penetration is not necessarily gay, especially in prison. Many otherwise straight men will offer themselves for penetration to get jobs, money, favors, cigarettes, drugs, whatever. It's how the prison system works if you are there for a long time.

The poster not equating anal penetration to gay men, it's equating it to inmates. And with good reason.

Yes, if people want to look like inmates (white or black), that's their business. But I certainly won't hire them, regardless of their skills. It's basic thug behavior and totally ignorant. It glorifies criminals and celebrates prison life.

Has our society sunk so low that people are now just fine with glorifying the lowest common denominator of society, a criminal?

Something is very wrong here and it's not my outlook.

Posted by: johnny | Jun 20, 2012 4:19:05 PM

10. Get over it grandpa. Don't like saggy jeans? Don't wear them. It's just one generations silly fashion trend, nor more ridiculous seeming to other people than many others.

As for the intent? Of course the intention is homophobic. Wearing your pants down is what those who want to take it up the backside in prison do. Maybe people will think you want it to.

Posted by: Michaelandfred | Jun 20, 2012 4:37:17 PM

11. Hmm, part of me wants to fight homophobia among teens, but a bigger part of me wants the teens not to look like f'ing mental defects when they go outside...

such a dilemma.

Posted by: Snownova | Jun 20, 2012 4:53:09 PM

12. If it gets them to pull their pants up tell them that it is true.

Posted by: andrew | Jun 20, 2012 5:05:55 PM

13. I wouldn't say the intent is necessarily homophobic. At least not blatantly anti-gay. It's not really targeting gay men, or even homosexual sex. But the ad is basically saying "do you want to look like a prison b*tch? No? Then pull your pants up". It's not saying "don't be gay" or "don't look gay". I was told by my uncle that the pants sagging was a prison sex thing. This ad is definitely targeting urban/inner city communities because that's where that whole connection came about, literally an urban myth. Hopefully something comes out of it, I don't really care about sagging pants, but for those who do it, it looks so unprofessional and unbecoming.

Posted by: Francis | Jun 20, 2012 5:15:23 PM

14. That whole "there are no belts in prison" thing is utter nonsense. One word. Elastic.

Seriously, did anyone actually try asking prison inmates from back in the day? I knew a few and the graphic tells what they told me 20 years ago...

Also, the whole "this is homophobic because it mentions gay sex and prison" is nonsensical at best.

Posted by: Eric | Jun 20, 2012 5:15:35 PM

15. I also think it's hilarious that the "PSA" says that ..."prisoners needed to invent a signal that would go unnoticed by the guards..."
    I think the guards would have to be blind not to notice pants that are hanging down around an inmate's knees and it wouldn't take them long to figure out that the guys who "were available to be penetrated" were the only ones wearing their pants in this fashion. It's hardly a subtle signal. I would think a wink or a nod or a smoldering look would work a lot better and be more easily hidden. This was clearly made up by someone who is trying to prey on the homophobia of young men.

Posted by: Insensitivefools | Jun 20, 2012 5:15:37 PM

16. Lying to prove a point is a contemptible decision and so is defaming a sexual practice as pejorative because it would label you not only as gay, but as a willing bottom.

Posted by: StevyD | Jun 20, 2012 5:27:50 PM

17. Of course the ad is homophobic. The whole thing boils down to "you don't want people think you're gay, do you?"

That said, with all the homophobia around, at least this little bit is serving a public good if it gets guys to dress less ridiculously.

Posted by: BobN | Jun 20, 2012 5:31:26 PM

18. @johnny--but this isn't telling them "don't do this or else you'll look like an inmate"--heck, that wouldn't work at all since thug fashion is extremely popular with the young men this is supposedly trying to reach.
    What it is saying is "you don't want to look like an inmate who takes it in the butt!!!!"
    It doesn't have to say the words "gay" or "homosexual" to be homophobic. Saying that "appearing as if you are an inmate who does those disgusting things that the gays do... ought to scare you from this fashion trend".... is most emphatically homophobic.

Posted by: Insensitivefools | Jun 20, 2012 5:32:56 PM

19. WOW! SOME OF THE PRISSY COMMENTS
    AND THE FOOLS WHO DON'T THINK THIS IS HOMOPHOBIC!
    The obvious origin of sagging pants in prison -- many Black people have larger hips, thighs, and ass, and a smaller waist, than the typical White person for whom clothing is sized.
    Thus, the need to wear prison pants too large in the waist (no alterations in prison), thus the sagging, which got taken up as a look.

Posted by: Bob | Jun 20, 2012 5:39:09 PM

20. Sorry, but as a top, I tink saggy pants are the best thing to ever happen to fashion. And if ur a guy that has ur ass hanging out u know exactly what you're selling.

Posted by: Michael | Jun 20, 2012 5:47:15 PM

21. This ridiculous look did start in prisons- there is nothing really homophobic about the add-but there is nothing sexy about sagging pants.

Posted by: jaragon | Jun 20, 2012 6:02:37 PM

22. You kids get off my lawn! *shakes cane*

Posted by: Mousie | Jun 20, 2012 6:14:19 PM

23. Not gonna lie, I think it's a hot look. It's sorta edgy, actually: It reclaims the male ass to be admired in a way.

I see gay dudes at clubs pull it off, and I admit it's sexy. That said, it represents a disconnect from professionalism, and just isn't ME.

But, Towleroad, you hit the nail on the head with your post. I've seen that banner like a year ago and thought the same thing. I'm so PROUD of you for properly and formally calling it out for the load of BS it is. :-).

Posted by: just_a_guy | Jun 20, 2012 6:27:09 PM

24. I don't see it as homophobic either. I see it as a way to stop the stupid fashion trend. If you want your coinslot to be seen, walk around bareass.

and I am unanimous in this

Posted by: poof | Jun 20, 2012 6:41:11 PM

25. Not so homophobic. Get off the cross.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Jun 20, 2012 6:41:13 PM