Facebook | News

BigGayDeal.com

Homophobic 'Sagging Pants' Warning Circulates on Facebook

Saggingpants

DailyKos calls it out:

It's false. Completely false. It's worked so well because it preys on teenagers' homophobia. Since there's a ton of insecurity among teenagers when it comes to sexuality, the story was written specifically to prey on teenagers' homophobia so they would pull their pants up for fear of being thought gay.

Do your part to help stop this homophobic myth by telling people that this story is bogus and does nothing but spread homophobia. Find another way to tell kids to pull their pants up.

Comments

1. Does it even matter how it started? Who cares. If it looks good, it looks good. Only the mirror can tell...

Posted by: Randy | Jun 20, 2012 6:52:14 PM

2. I do see how this ad can be deemed homophobic, it doesn't have to explicitly refer to gay people to be seen that way.

On a personal note, I would never wear my pants like that. Just not my style but I do admit it does look good on some guys who have the physique to pull it off.

Posted by: NY2.0 | Jun 20, 2012 7:05:47 PM

3. It's postings like this that breed taunting and bullying of our gay kids. Please express the homophobic angle of this ad on it's page or any person who circulates it. Don't be complacent toward homophobia. People are not complacent toward racism or any form of prejudice..why should we when faced with subtle to not so subtle traces of homophobia?
    Think about that

Posted by: IonMusic | Jun 20, 2012 7:07:43 PM

4. I don't really see how it's homophobic, but I really would like to see these dumbasses pull their f'ing pants up!

Posted by: Gary A | Jun 20, 2012 8:04:48 PM

5. I think it actually started because belts were seen an potential weapons in a prison.So they stopped giving prisoners belts to hold up their pants. On another note, it is a really disgusting trend that makes the participants look like they have a diaperload that needs changing. :p

Posted by: ophu | Jun 20, 2012 9:55:05 PM

6. It's TRUE.

Posted by: Munro | Jun 21, 2012 5:21:42 AM

7. If anything I think this is bottomophobic. How do prison tops dress?

Posted by: WillnDurhamNC | Jun 21, 2012 7:42:43 AM

8. This look has been on my radar since the early 1990's. When will it be over?

Posted by: kdknyc | Jun 21, 2012 8:41:37 AM

9. This is actually true. My mom has been a deputy sheriff in the Norfolk, VA prison for well over 15 years, and not only did she tell me about this prison meme repeatedly, but on my numerous trips to the jail, I saw it. And I don't see how this can be homophobic if it's true. I don't think it preys on heterosexual fears because, as a gay man, I don't want to be raped at all! I think it preys on all fears. This article is so silly.

Posted by: Sherrod | Jun 21, 2012 9:51:24 AM

10. I don't see this article as being homophobic at all. Honestly, I am not the least bit offended by this P.S.A. If it gets guys to pull up their pants and wear them correctly, then more power to them. To be frank, I don't care to see men with their pants hanging off their hips like that. It's uncouth and totally shows a lack of decency on the wearers part. If I had gone outside looking like this, my mother would have marched me back upstairs and made me wear a belt.

Posted by: Ray Sager | Jun 21, 2012 10:14:35 AM

11. As a teen I was into all kinds of stuff and looks, and am far from tight a**, but this 'fashion' has got to be the stupidest sh*t to come down the pike in my lifetime. I'm not going to lie and say I don't check these dudes out *wink*, but it's still completely asinine. Some of these dudes literally have their pants almost completely fallen down. Just the stupid way they have to walk, like they took a dump in their shorts, makes me crack up. I assume gay fashion designers are the ones really behind this 'look', because why the F would a straight dude want to show off his underwear and a** crack to begin with?

Now of course the fashion is tight pants and shirts, but a lot of them still wear their pants 'low'.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jun 21, 2012 10:41:34 AM

12. I happen to love seeing a hot ass framed in boxers peeking out of a pair of sagging pants. But maybe that's just me. And as far as decrying it as a stupid fashion trend, I think there are plenty of those out there, so why pick on this one.

Posted by: Dan | Jun 21, 2012 1:17:29 PM

13. You kids get off my lawn! *shakes cane*

Posted by: Mousie | Jun 20, 2012 6:14:19 PM

LOL!!!!

Posted by: Dan | Jun 21, 2012 1:19:01 PM

14. DAN, and many others, this isn't just a fashion trend. It is wholly innappropriate to have your pants hang just below your butt and be forced to walk like a idiot as a result. And Jacques, giant earlobes(another ugly, stupid trend) tattoes, lip piercings all are good? Really? Who taught you good taste?! aPeople have never looked more ugly and stupid than today's delinquents. Douchebags are the majority today.

Posted by: nikko | Jun 21, 2012 1:40:44 PM

15. I see it as proof, once more, that gays start most fashion trends.

Posted by: lookyloo | Jun 22, 2012 8:08:08 AM

16. Wow, the lack of logic on the internet is astonishing. How is this NOT homophobic? Does someone really need to spoon-feed you something offensive for it to dawn on you that yes, it is offensive? Are people truly that dense? Let me break it down for ya!

1 - Myth!
    2 - Dislike a myth, find a way to make people feel bad about the practice
    3 - Claim it was started by gays seeking anal sex!
    4 - feed (successfully) on subtle homophobia so as to fly under the radar of lukewarm IQ.
    5 - Profit.

Posted by: GPry | Jun 22, 2012 9:24:50 PM

17. For this to be homophobic, don't you have to presume that anal sex is an exclusively gay activity and that all anal sex practiced between men constitutes gay sex? Homophobia is an identity based attitude--it's not the same as edinakusesiphobia (fear of anal sex).

Posted by: Stefan | Oct 2, 2012 1:52:39 PM

18. Lmao it started because prison systems had generic sizes for uniforms. To save money they purchased bigger sizes to fit multiple inmates. Watching old people with pant legs that don't touch their shoes, or guys wearing tight jeans like girls arnt any better. Spend more time hating on your self and less time hating on others.

Peace hommies :)

Posted by: Mofo | Nov 18, 2012 11:26:02 AM

19. My father, a correctional officer in Chino, told me this in the 1970's.

Posted by: TM | Nov 19, 2012 4:12:13 PM

20. Of course it's homophobic in the context of the audience sought to be influenced by the ad. The ad isn't directed to fashion forward gays, as some here seem to think, but young people (African-Americans in particular). These adolescents are, just as the article claimed, extremely sensitive to any attacks on their "manhood", or self-image as hetero sexual. Telling them it's unflattering or unfashionable to get them to change might work in WeHo or Manhattan's west side, but gays are not the audience! It's obviously dropping the gay bomb on young men allergic to gayness, even if the readers of this blog wished they weren't.

Posted by: Contrarian | Nov 21, 2012 12:40:49 AM

21. I am all for the advertising. I can out of walmart the other day and there was a 'black' guy with the top of his pants below the bottom of his white briefs. NASTY! You could see the tread marks on his underpants.

Posted by: Tom Smith | Nov 21, 2012 8:01:44 AM

22. yes, this is homophobic, not explicitly but implicitly

When reading this, change it so instead of the connection it creates between
    sagging pants ---> wanting penetrated
    and change it to
    sagging pants ---> wanting cookies

It really doesn't quite pack the same punch does it?

I think the really sad thing is that in a group of (im assuming) homosexuals the notion that wanting to get topped is such a negative thing is so ingrained into our society that it doesn't even register

Posted by: MaddM@ | Nov 23, 2012 9:18:25 AM

23. Akk I know for years gang CRIP identify themselves by showing there crack !!!

Posted by: Alexander | Jan 6, 2013 6:05:16 PM