Football | Italy | News

Italian Footballer Antonio Cassano Hopes There are No 'Queers' on the National Team

Italian footballer Antonio Cassano, a Serie A player for Milan and a striker for the national team, has caused controversy in Krakow after being asked about gay players on the Italian team in advance of the Euro 2012, the Guardian reports:

CassanoWhen asked about media reports that there were two metrosexual players and two homosexual players in the Italy squad, the Milan forward said: "What's a metrosexual?" before adding: "Queers in the national team? That's their business. But I hope not."

Earlier this year Cassano's Italy team-mate Antonio Di Natale said that it would be difficult for any player to come out whereas the national team coach, Cesare Prandelli, has been supportive of gay footballers.

UPDATE: Apparently the term Cassano used was more like "faggots".

He's now backtracking:

"I am sincerely sorry that my declarations have sparked controversy and protests in the gay community: homophobia is a feeling that does not belong to me. I did not want to offend anyone and in no way do I want to question the sexual freedom of people."

Comments

1. **Waving martini glass at Miss Stuffed Animal**

Posted by: Domino S | Jun 12, 2012 5:27:59 PM

2. He's apologizing due to backlash, and backlash only.

Posted by: Francis | Jun 12, 2012 5:48:50 PM

3. I don't think he has anything to worry about from gays anywhere...

Posted by: jaragon | Jun 12, 2012 5:58:49 PM

4. I proudly self-identify as queer.

it's no an insult to have a unique and different perspective, point of view, or way of being.

i've never understood why some gay men get their panties in a bunch because others choose to self-identify and find empowerment in a Queer Identity.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jun 12, 2012 6:07:24 PM

5. @ Littlekiwi the word he used does not accurately translate to what has become the current use of "queer" and @francis Urban Italy where I lived for many years is not "backward" -- in fact, violent queer bashing back in the day did not exist. I never felt the same kind of fear I felt even in San Francisco or in the UK or Germany.

Posted by: Giovanni | Jun 12, 2012 6:16:13 PM

6. As an Italian/American/Gay man still clawing my way out of the Italian family expectation syndrome,I find this guy so typical of the suffocating culture that exists in Italy and its spawn around the world. There is nothing bella or romantico about being Italian when thugs like this roam its landscape. Add the strangulation of the Catholic church to this recipe and you have hell on earth.

Posted by: Rex Paul Martin | Jun 12, 2012 7:02:48 PM

7. "i hope there are no faggots in the national team, but I'm not homophobic"

Posted by: michaelofthegreen | Jun 12, 2012 9:41:15 PM

8. Is there any topic that the posters on Towleroad don't have an "expert" opinion on? What a collection of Know-it-alls!

Posted by: andrew | Jun 12, 2012 10:14:58 PM

9. ANDREW, the posters are right.

Posted by: nikko | Jun 12, 2012 11:00:31 PM

10. Andrew, the purpose of the comments sections on any blog is for people to express their opinions. Is there anything that you do not have an opinion about? Your opinion may not be "expert" and my opinion may not be "expert",but we are allowed to express that opinion. Perhaps you need to be reminded that everyone has both a-holes and opinions.
    See how that works. One can even have an opinion about opinions.

Posted by: vanndean | Jun 13, 2012 12:06:16 AM

11. I don't know Italian but I do know Russian.
    And to Cassano I say "idi na huy blyad'"
    Hopefully tge coach does the right thing and takes him out.

Posted by: Mk Ultra | Jun 13, 2012 12:19:49 AM