Film and TV | Jay Leno | News

Louis C.K. Wishes He Were Gay: VIDEO

LouisCK

Comedian Louis C.K. popped over to Jay Leno's Tonight Show last night to talk up the new season of his show, his ongoing tour and, yes, why he wishes he were gay.

Apparently being straight is tough because you can't say the word "wonderful" — "That strip club was wonderful," has a queer ring to it, he says — nor can you do jazz hands, tell another straight man you miss him or wear taupe. Who knew being straight was such a trial?

While he wishes sometimes he were gay, the funny man is clear that he doesn't want to have gay sex, which really is a pretty essential part of being gay.

Watch Louis C.K. explain himself AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. Jeez-us... Some people should just stick to Jay Leno and his Funny Headlines....

Posted by: Dave | Jun 29, 2012 12:17:14 PM

2. he seems talented and the back story of him being an ally certainly puts this in perspective. i like the guy...theres a charm to his comedy

Posted by: alistenacrush | Jun 29, 2012 12:32:02 PM

3. I love Louis CK! And he's a total ally, he's openly supported marriage equality.

Someone else drew the comparison between hsi brand of humor and Kathy Griffin's and Margaret Cho's (I'd add Chelsea Handler to that list). If you're not offended by them, CK shouldn't offend you either. And if they don't make you laugh...then get a sense of humor!

Posted by: Lucas H | Jun 29, 2012 12:58:45 PM

4. I LOVE Louie C.K.! Friend of the community and DILF of a RedHead!

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Jun 29, 2012 1:40:44 PM

5. Many straight men worry that they will be thought of as gay because heterosexuals have privieged status. Many gay men have worried about exactly the same thing. Whether the assumption that one is gay is true or false, it can resul;t in losing a job (it was, for example, until recently official policy in the US military), being denied teh right to use a public facility (like a swimming pool in Roanoke) or can even result in being attacked (like when the straight Jose Sucuzhanay was murdered in New York by someone who mistook him for gay).
    Nobody worries about being mistaken for straight because heterosexuals are both socially and legally treated as our superiors in this society.

I think Louis CK's humor here could have been more insightful if he had made a very subtle shift in his phrasing to acknowledge that straight men CAN do all the things he said he "wishes they could do" (I do have straight male friends who are secure enough to greet me with a kiss or who who don't worry what anyone thinks if they feel like using the word "wonderful") and that society will be healthier when that kind of nonchalance no longer requires any bravery.

Posted by: GregV | Jun 29, 2012 1:56:47 PM

6. I do love how the internet allows anonymous people to think their personal opinions are
    a)solid, unchangable fact, and
    b)anyone who disagrees is automatically wrong.

As a gay male who happens to find Louis both funny and attractive (but not necessarily a comedy genius), I wish some of the commenters here would keep in mind that they don't automatically speak for everyone who visits this site- opinions are subjective, and can be changed with knowledge. Get over yourselves.

Posted by: Pete | Jun 29, 2012 2:03:30 PM

7. Got tickets for his show and can't wait to see him.

Posted by: Johnathan | Jun 29, 2012 2:47:03 PM

8. I pity DAVID EHRENSTEIN. It must suck to be him.

Posted by: John | Jun 29, 2012 3:40:41 PM

9. Great stuff, great guy. Hate to be stuck in a room with the haters.

Posted by: David R. | Jun 29, 2012 4:40:41 PM

10. Louis CK reminds me of Kevin Smith (and maybe Seth Macfarlane) in the way that he's gutsy enough to question who he is and where he is in society, and comment on it. He's not always gut-bustingly funny, more wryly amusing, but his observations are genuinely insightful (and even a little wistful). Straight guys like this are major allies for the gay community, in that they aren't afraid to hold up a fun-house mirror to what America thinks straight men "should" be/do/look like/think/feel, which is how change begins. (And seriously, how many straight men would openly admit among their friends--let alone on TV--a same-sex crush, like Louis' on Ewan Macgregor? And in graphic detail, no less?)

Posted by: Dback | Jun 29, 2012 6:23:49 PM

11. I thought it was sort of funny.

Posted by: Randy | Jun 29, 2012 6:39:26 PM

12. i thought it was true and funny

Posted by: t | Jun 29, 2012 6:48:18 PM

13. He is an idiot. I've disliked him ever since that condescending video where he chastises the LGBT community on how it handled the whole Tracy Morgan incident.

Yes, please heterosexual white man, tell us more on how to cope with institutionalized oppression. Surely you are an expert on this!

Posted by: Lance | Jun 29, 2012 7:10:46 PM

14. Louis C.K. is alright as long as he doesn't believe his own schtick I guess.

He's TOTALLY walking on eggshells talking about gay stuff -- cuz he ain't us. And I think he KNOWS that (or should). But as long as he doesn't believe some of his pronouncements, he's overall good-natured enough and self-deprecating enough that i kinda find him a tad charming.

That said, isn't he stupidly famous for using the F** / F****** word like it means nothing? THAT shtick is TRULY offensive to me. Not cool, C.K. Not cool. (And F*** you for doing it, C.K.)

But this bit here w/ Leno: kinda dorky-humourous. I don't think he actually holds himself to those rigid standards, ya know.

Posted by: just_a_guy | Jun 29, 2012 7:28:05 PM

15. Cuz, C.K. every time I heard use that term, it made me wanna spit on you or punch you or something. I mean, I make myself behave like a gentleman, ya know, but those are FIGHTING words to me, C.K. Again, C.K. NOT COOL.

Despite generally liking a lot of C.K.'s stuff, I'm not sure if I'll ever REALLY be a fan cuz the F** sschtick stuff is just WAY too doushy of him, even if its in the past (Is it? or does he do it at EVERY show still??)

Posted by: just_a_guy | Jun 29, 2012 7:32:31 PM

16. It sounds to me like he was being ironic in a way. A lot of C.K.'s comedy is geared towards that sort of humor; he pokes fun at stupid and senseless stereotypes by bringing them to light in a different fashion than what we're used to. It sounds more like he's insulting heteronormative privilege without actually saying that word.

Posted by: Rikki | Jun 29, 2012 8:24:38 PM

17. Adam Corolla is a genius at seeing through the bull--- His truths leave casualties.

Posted by: Nick | Jun 29, 2012 10:56:23 PM

18. Louis C.K. is the most intelligent comedian there is. PERIOD. For anyone to not see that means they can't see past their own nose.

Posted by: Robert | Jun 30, 2012 12:03:29 AM

19. Lol Robert, sure.

Posted by: Lance | Jun 30, 2012 4:50:44 AM

20. Wow, you really showed me, Lance!

Posted by: Robert | Jun 30, 2012 9:15:59 AM

21. @ @ Bruce and David: two words. "Up" and "lighten."

Posted by: Jedi | Jun 30, 2012 9:37:04 AM

22. Try again, ROBERT, please.

Posted by: Lance | Jun 30, 2012 11:31:44 AM

23. Did you guys watch the video? At no point does Louis C.K. say that gay men have particular behaviours. He just says that straight men are afraid that certain behaviours are gay.

Which is true. Straight men grow up being terrified of being misidentified as gay (probably because it's something that you get beat up for in middle school), which leads to a lot of stupid hang-ups.

Posted by: InscrutableTed | Jun 30, 2012 12:20:14 PM

24. Once I realized Jay Leno was a Republican I stopped watching his show years ago. He makes my skin crawl.

Posted by: Icebloo | Jun 30, 2012 3:38:35 PM

25. Louis CK is bloody brilliant ... perhaps the best right now in the business along with Chris Rock .. LCK mocks life's absurdities

Posted by: MarkBoston | Jul 1, 2012 2:24:17 AM