Dustin Lance Black | Gay Pride | Mormon | News | Salt Lake City | Utah

BigGayDeal.com

300+ Straight Mormons March in Gay Pride Parade in Salt Lake City: VIDEO

Mormons

As I noted on Friday, a group of LDS Church members called 'Mormons Building Bridges' marched in yesterday's Utah Gay Pride Parade in Salt Lake City as an act of reconciliation with the LGBT community, and made quite an impression, the Salt Lake Tribune reports:

Mormons Building Bridges followed right behind [Grand Marshal Dustin Lance] Black in the parade. The men in beige suits and ties and the little girls in white dresses were a sharp contrast to the pounding music and dancers behind them, but the crowd clapped and shouted their approval for the folks in their Sunday best. Erika Munson, a mom of five from Sandy, started the group a few weeks ago to show her support for the LGBT community and to encourage members of her religion to do the same in a public way.

Holly Nelson, a 38-year-old lesbian who lives in Murray, had tears in their eyes as the Mormons walked past.

"I think it’s amazing," she said. "It’s been so hard to be in Utah knowing the Mormon church is against the gay community."

Black also gave a speech talking about bridging the gap between Mormonism and being an LGBT person.

Watch a video of the group marching and the Black clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

Black

Comments

1. I was one of the 300. My wife and kids and I were not doing it for a stunt or to fool anyone. We wanted to show our support. It was a wonderful come-together experience. I wish more could have been there in person to understand what it was like.

Posted by: John | Jun 4, 2012 1:54:34 PM

2. Daniel, I was trying to caution against stereotyping against an entire group. It is that same stereotyping that is used against us. I appreciate support from wherever it comes from and I applaud the organizers of the Utah Gay Pride Parade for being inclusive of this group and not discriminating against them because they're Mormon. Im not sure what part of that is "nonsensical."

Posted by: ScottNYC | Jun 4, 2012 1:57:10 PM

3. I understand why people may be suspicious but kudos to MARY, ERNIE and NCSCOTTY. Everyone else should heed the wise advice to not serve up the same rhetoric and hate that is presented to us in our fight for equality. Yes the Mormon Church is horrible and still stands against gay rights 100%. But if you bitter queens can remember back to things Andy has already posted before…from 2009 (way before Mittens)…

(http://www.towleroad.com/2009/11/gay-mormons-deliver-petitions-to-lds-church-in-slc-by-handcart.html )

You will see that there is a faction of more liberal and open minded Mormons that actually managed to get 2000+ signatures to petition change in the LDS church. It is entirely possible that 300 of them showed up for this parade. Also, I have several gay Mormon and ex-Mormon friends who cannot be in their church because they are openly gay. Their families and friends support them and also want the church to change its policy. Like most organized religion, however, change is feared and always slow. The Catholic Church is no different. We all know Catholics that are against the Holy Mother Church and the position of this pope. They still donate and practice their faith (even gay Catholics) while at the same time preaching for our cause.

Wake up ladies, stop being as mean and nasty as the people we oppose and accept support from where ever it comes. Even if this group did turn out to be self-representing to increase acceptance of their church, they would still have my thanks. Support, for whatever reason, is what changes people’s minds and pushes the dialogue forward in a positive way. Don’t Hate, Appreciate! Mitt Romney is and will always be against homosexuality on all fronts. Obama is our only hope.

While I’m agnostic myself and think most of organized religion is silly, I accept people of faith and definitely accept groups working from within to change their church in our favor. Here’s another blog from 2011 talking about bout the growing movement of Evangelicals, Catholics, and Mormons for gay rights….http://www.everydaycitizen.com/2011/02/evangelicals_catholics_and_mor.html

Posted by: DRG | Jun 4, 2012 2:27:16 PM

4. Thank you, John, for marching at pride with the Mormons Building Bridges group.

I understand completely why everyone feels skepticism and feels resentment towards Mormons, I can't say that I don't either. With that said, if a hand is extended in solidarity, rejection I don't think is the answer. We have people here who are making an open, public proclamation that they support our community and want to send the message that one can be Mormon and be pro-gay. That's a good thing. Now, obviously, actions speak louder than words, which is where the skepticism from my end comes from. It's one thing to say you're for equality, and it's another thing entirely to actually be active in changing hearts and minds within the Mormon church and with fellow Mormons who may hold anti-gay positions. So this is a positive step, but it's just that, a step in the right direction. The mission has yet to be completed and this message of equality has to be heard loud and clear within the Mormon sect, and a promotion of progress regarding LGBTQ citizens and our lives and rights needs to be put forth.

Posted by: Francis | Jun 4, 2012 3:09:30 PM

5. If these 300 Mormons are devout, they tithe 10% of their gross incomes to the Mormon Church, which means they're financially supporting the church's efforts to deny gay people civil rights and equality under the law. These people don't deserve our embrace unless they renounce their church's anti-gay political activism and stop funding it.

Posted by: Stephen | Jun 4, 2012 3:59:08 PM

6. Again thank you to the 300+ Mormons who in a very public way showed their support for their LGBT bros and sisters. Next I await residents of the Vatican State to show their support for human equality. Lest you worry about my health, I am not holding my breath.

Posted by: andrew | Jun 4, 2012 4:17:53 PM

7. I think it's great that Mormons are coming out to support gay rights. I'm sure most of them are sincere. That said, I also know that what religious people think of support is often different than what we GLBT people would think of as support. But until I know different I will still be cautious. Again, I was raised Mormon. Many of my family claim to support me but they want me to be celibate and live an unfulfilled, lonely life. Essentially, they would like my 14 yr relationship to break up--but they claim to love and support me. So, SCOTTNYC--what's nonsensical is that we can't be cautious around this, until the church has actually done something concrete we should be careful. I will welcome their support--I do have relatives who are very supportive--but the church itself is another matter. The church is NOT gay friendly and any claim they try to make that they are is naive. That said, I think there are Mormons who are wonderful people--but even there I tend to be a little cautious. I was raised in the church and I know that most religions mean a different thing by support than we would. So, it's not mean or narrow minded to act with caution.

Posted by: Daniel | Jun 4, 2012 7:19:17 PM

8. Here's hoping they stop tithing to the church. By all means, attend services, but don't give them money. The money that would otherwise be given to the Church can instead be used to "build" the aforementioned bridges, or donated to Utah's PFLAG chapters to help the legions of LDS and former-LDS folks and their LGBT family members with support outlets.

By all means, extend support - but also cut financial aid to the Top. That's what makes the Top listen.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jun 4, 2012 7:31:56 PM

9. Propaganda event. Mormons are just trying to erase the pain of the Prop 8 Hate the Gay campaign in California, and similar Mormon coordinated movements in other states to outlaw same-sex marriages.

If a Mormon wasn't running for the White Horse, this wouldn't be happening.

If this group really wanted to make a statement, they would have the Mormons allow same-sex couples to kiss and hold hands in Temple Square without the Jack Booted Nazi Temple Guard coming out in force threatening gays and lesbians with arrests for trespassing.

Tolerance - a word NOT in the Mormon venancular.

This is just for "looks" for "Romney."

Whatever it takes to fulfill the White Horse Prophecy.

I see the Mormon Press Releases have made it to many of the news outlets again. Have to get the word out, Mormons like Gays - until Nov 7th that is.

Posted by: Timothy Unrine | Jun 5, 2012 11:01:07 AM

10. ScottNYC, what was nonsensical is comparing us voicing distrust of the Mormon church's motives to what they did to us. They worked to deny us our rights--it's not the same. I hope these marchers are sincere and I will give them the benefit of the doubt--but I also want to know exactly what they support.

Posted by: Daniel | Jun 5, 2012 12:04:29 PM