Madonna | Music | News | Tel Aviv

BigGayDeal.com

Madonna Opens 'MDNA Tour' in Tel Aviv: VIDEOS

Mdna

Madonna opened her 'MDNA tour' in Tel Aviv last night.

MadonnaABC News reports:

The elaborate stage production, which started over 30 minutes late, was not totally sold out — there was space at the back of Ramat Gan stadium. The festivities started with monks ringing a church bell, and an altar onstage. Madonna appeared in a confessional, and then broke out of it, kicking things off with her song “Girl Gone Wild.” The first part of the show featured Madonna and her dancers brandishing numerous guns for the songs “Revolver” and “Gang Bang.” During other parts of the show, she appeared wearing a red and white majorette outfit, and also in a Jean-Paul Gaultier-designed cage-like bustier.

The set list was a mix of old and new tracks, and included Madonna’s much-discussed mash-up of her own hit “Express Yourself” and Lady Gaga’s “Born This Way,” with a few lines of her song “She’s Not Me,” from the 2008 album Hard Candy, sung repeatedly — and pointedly — at the end. Other songs performed included “Papa Don’t Preach,” “Like a Virgin,” “Vogue” and what proved to be the most popular number of the night, “Like a Prayer,” which featured a gospel choir.

She also made a speech about spreading peace in the region:

“We are all human beings. We all bleed the same color. We all want to love and be loved….If we can all rise above our egos and our titles and the names of our countries and the names of our religions…and treat everyone around us…with dignity and respect, then we are on the road to peace, OK? So, start today. Start now, each and every one of you. You are the future. We are the future, and if there is peace here in the Middle East, there can be peace in the whole world, OK?”

One image used in the show reportedly causing controversy is this still (below) from a montage in her "Nobody Knows Me" interlude which shows her overlayed with a Hitler mustache and a swastika.

Watch eight videos, including the opening (spoilers) and speech for peace, AFTER THE JUMP...

Madonnanazi

Opening:

Speech for Peace:

Nobody Knows Me:

Express Yourself/Born This Way:

Best Friend/Heartbeat:

Turn Up the Radio:

Like a Virgin:

Masterpiece:

More videos here.

Comments

1. I know Madonna is a gay icon and everything, but I do not remember her making speeches like these about "jews, christians, blacks, whites, gay, straight" in a long time. I know, I know, like a prayer, gay icon, she's done stuff --- but all I heard now was lady gaga talking!

Posted by: topher | Jun 1, 2012 11:33:07 AM

2. That Express Yourself outfit doesn't look great on a 50 year old woman... it's all a bit Baby Jane!

Posted by: Remote Patrolled | Jun 1, 2012 11:35:00 AM

3. @Topher Madonna has been speaking out about tolerance/peace for a while now...long before Lady Gaga rose to prominence.

Posted by: Brian NYC | Jun 1, 2012 11:36:58 AM

4. @Brian: Like I said, I know she's done stuff. But somehow all I can remember now is her making that bitchy comment about the hydrangeas some fan/reporter gave her.

Posted by: topher | Jun 1, 2012 11:41:19 AM

5. What a hag.

"I'm Madonna look at me, look at me: I learned to play guitar (awkwardly and terribly and I look like a complete idiot when I play it but still)!!! I'm twirling a baton!! I ripped off "Respect Yourself" by The Staples Singers and then called a younger artist "reductive" when she ripped off my rip off! Of course, the younger artist used her song to advance gay and trans rights whereas I stayed in the grand tradition started by my fellow "Icon" Elvis: I stole a song from black people then re-branded it as "Blond Ambition" (whiteness sells!) and then surrounded myself onstage with black and Latino backup dancers to further highlight my Whiteness which makes me transgressive, progressive and cutting edge like all the other white thieves who came before me. Oh yeah, I stole Vogue'ing from poor black queens from Harlem too!

Posted by: David | Jun 1, 2012 11:42:26 AM

6. @David: Just ewww. What a horrid person you make yourself out to be. Are you really that miserable?

Posted by: Alex N | Jun 1, 2012 11:47:42 AM

7. Madonna has been speaking out about tolerance since the beginning of her career. Tolerance, coming together and respecting one another... those are the most common themes in her entire back catalogue.

Posted by: Jude | Jun 1, 2012 11:50:30 AM

8. So the message is (in part) rise above ego, but is accompanied with a "She's not me" slam on Gaga?

Posted by: AERES | Jun 1, 2012 11:51:22 AM

9. @Aeres - Touche

Posted by: Patrick | Jun 1, 2012 11:57:18 AM

10. David, unlike Alex I don't think you're miserable at all - I think you're accurate. Madonna's narcissism has always overshadowed what meager support she might feel for our community. In regards to the Madonna v Gaga crowd...here are three indisputable facts to clearly contrast the artists:
    1. Gaga is a better vocalist, period.
    2. Gaga's a real musician with piano and strings, not a three chord wonder like Vadge.
    3. Despite being at the dawn of her ascendance - Gaga has given a tremendous amount of her own personal wealth and time to LGBT causes which tower over Madame Vadge.
    Bonus, the Hitler dealio is just revolting and self aggrandizing even for Vadge's own co-opted cult of personality,

Posted by: Tadpolicus Wex | Jun 1, 2012 12:23:24 PM

11. Speaking of ripping off.....seriously, is Kazaky getting ANY credit for the clothing and exact dance routine for GGW? It's their LOVE video to a T!!

Posted by: Tim | Jun 1, 2012 12:33:42 PM

12. Nazi/Hitler imagery in Israel. (Nazi/Hitler imagery in anywhere...) Is she that oblivious?

Posted by: Inside | Jun 1, 2012 12:45:07 PM

13. At an average ticket price of well over $500 each I think I'll wait for the inevitable HBO special or DVD.....besides I can see a 60 year old person lipsync Madonna songs at my local gay bar for FAR less cash.....

Posted by: Steven | Jun 1, 2012 12:45:32 PM

14. @ David. Exactly. When I committed the cardinal sin as a gay man of saying I've never cared for Vadge one of my friends was horrified "But you have to respect her for what she has accomplished!" I replied I don't have to respect anyone who hasn't earned it. The stage was set for a transgressive, sexually uninhibited female pop star in the early 80's and Vadge filled the bill--but if she hadn't hogged that particular spotlight someone else certainly would have come along to shine in it. Wouldn't it have been nice if it had been someone like Gaga with reserves of talent and compassion to offer instead of simply bland ambition and a vampiric ego?

Posted by: Arrant | Jun 1, 2012 12:53:51 PM

15. Boys, please don't force Madonna's super fanboy Matthew Rettenmund to come over here and lecture us all about not looking like kids by bickering about Madonna v Gaga.

Posted by: Mike | Jun 1, 2012 12:55:30 PM

16. it's pathetic for people to always have to mention her age. I assume that most of these comments are from gays who on a daily basis deal with homophobia. Why be ageist? You will be 53 someday and I bet you'd like to be as fit and successful as Madonna is. Long live the queen.

Posted by: dc | Jun 1, 2012 1:00:37 PM

17. So shocked to see bitchy, ageist, sexist comments about Madonna here. Quelle surprise! And the monsters are in full hate mode as well.. Again, no shocker. As for Madonna's track record supporting us, let's remember that out fight then was for survival... From Regean and extreme fundamentalist right wing people like Jesse Helms... And of course from AIDS. I can't recall ANYONE in the 80s with as much power as Madonna who was speaking out, raising money and showing respect and tolerance as she was at that time (Liz Taylor and Elton John were great, but already past their prime with not as much to lose). Yes, Gaga has done lots and although I'm not a big fan of hers, I give her due credit and thank and respect her for what she does... But she's doing it at a time when we are already much more accepted in society, and our big struggles are gay marriage (which is hardly as life threatening as AIDS) and bullying... Which of course is a very important issue. The fact remains is that it is nowhere as risky or challenging for Gaga to champion gays now as when Madonna did in the 80s. Why is that? Probably in part thanks to Madonna. I wish these annoying little monsters would recognize that. Don't like her, her music? Think she's too old? I don't care less about that or your own prejudices or hang ups. What burns my ass is people are now saying, "oh, she really didn't do that much." that's just being ungrateful and I really get fed up with how privileged that makes you all seem. Be thankful to everyone who has walked with us and carried our torch. I know I am.

Posted by: Graphicjack | Jun 1, 2012 1:03:04 PM

18. Madonna rules woo hoo!

Haters go on and hate.

I choose love.

I am the future.

Posted by: truthiness | Jun 1, 2012 1:04:13 PM

19. Any good Nazi worth their salt would know immediately that the swastika is backwards. Oh Madge.

Posted by: B-rod | Jun 1, 2012 1:06:40 PM

20. Lol, it's like that Simpsons episode: In a thousand years, religious wars will be fought over who is the real goddess: Madonna or Germanotta.

Posted by: topher | Jun 1, 2012 1:14:51 PM

21. @B-Rod... I doubt that's an accident. And while it's obvious with the moustache she's referencing Hitler, the swastika is also a symbol in Hindi and Bhuddist cultures as "auspiciousness". In China, it was a smybol of eternity. The Nazi swastika was "right-facing", the other symbols could be either "left-facing" as this one is, or "right-facing'. With her message of world peace, which she also referenced at the Super Bowl and has always talked about acceptance and tolerance, it's pretty clear she was using the ancient Eastern symbol. Nothing Madonna does is accidental... I'm sure this was well thought out as a way to shock, but also educate.

Posted by: GraphicJack | Jun 1, 2012 1:15:10 PM

22. I agree with David and Tadpolicus Wex - Madonna's one trick pony show is boring. She rang in the performance the last time I saw her and that was it for me. Really, you want me to pay $700 a ticket so I can watch her try and act like she is 21 again. Nope. She needs to stop acting like she invented pop music. There were artists before her and there will be MUCH more talented artists after her. Her constant strain to reinvent herself is another term for her saying "I am trying to act much younger than I am" -

I am not trying to preach the song of Lady Gaga, but I will give it to her that she vocally and financially supports the LGBT community in a huge way. Madonna makes her speeches at concerts, but what has she actually done?

Posted by: C.J. | Jun 1, 2012 1:21:25 PM

23. The sets and costumes look spectacular. But I do have to wonder -- when you start appropriating Adolf Hitler, have you run out of ideas?

Posted by: Gregoire | Jun 1, 2012 1:24:22 PM

24. Do we need to watch yet another remix of Express Yourself? Or see Madonna prostrate herself yet again in front of a cross? I'm a huge fan of old Madonna. These warmed-up leftovers just make me feel sad. I wish she'd focus on her music, not concerts or perfume.

Posted by: Dan | Jun 1, 2012 1:26:12 PM

25. Being so deep into the Kabbalah, she must understand the Jewish mentality much better than us mere mortals.

Posted by: inor | Jun 1, 2012 1:33:05 PM