Discrimination | Gay Marriage | News | Republican Party

Meet The 7 Most Anti-Gay GOP Lawmakers In The House

GOP7

After an exhaustive and no doubt emotionally draining analysis, Josh Israel and Adam Peck at ThinkProgress have identified the seven most anti-gay Republican lawmakers in the House of Representatives. The number one offender, they note, is freshman Rep. Tim Huelskamp of Kansas.

The most anti-gay member of Congress has been freshman Rep. Tim Huelskamp (R-KS). As the author of his state’s constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriages and civil unions, during his previous tenure as a state senator, his anti-gay fervor in Washington is not unexpected.

In his first 18 months, he has authored an amendment to ban a directive that allows military chaplains to voluntarily solemnize same-sex unions, an amendment to “prohibit the use of funds to be used in contravention of the Defense of Marriage Act,” and a bill to ban the use of military facilities for any same-sex unions.

He also co-sponsored three measures to criticize the Obama administration for not defending the Defense of Marriage Act, to direct the Speaker of the House to defend the law instead, and to delay implementation of the Don’t Ask Don’t Tell repeal.

The analysis involved going over various discriminatory pieces of legislation and tallying the sponsors. While 144 Congressmen have sponsored or co-sponsored exclusionary laws, these seven signed onto five or more proposals looking to limit LGBT people's rights.

There is one Democrat, Rep. Mike McIntyre of North Carolina, who co-sponsored an anti-gay measure: a constitutional amendment prohibiting marriage equality.

Comments

1. "'Rights' mean nothing in the overall scheme of things."

I'm not sure which Rick is the greater parody, a toss-up!

Of course rights mean nothing to the closeted homosexual; they have no use for them. They're also a vanishing breed, a few steps ahead of the anti-gay and GOProud Republican, their dinosaur kin, so blind that they're unaware the future doesn't include them.

Posted by: Ernie | Jun 27, 2012 4:48:35 PM

2. Do you really want to go there with the "closeted homosexual" stuff again, Ernie. I burned you with it once before and can easily do so again.

Now why don't you address the point I made?

I think we both know why......

Posted by: Rick | Jun 27, 2012 5:49:51 PM

3. It's Lady Gaga's fault that my father thinks I want to be a drag queen. I don't! It's just that my legs happen to look really good in a pair of sensible pumps. There's a difference.

Posted by: Rick | Jun 27, 2012 6:01:49 PM

4. ERNIE - I appreciate your more encouraging facts about gay progress, I do believe it's real, and that it is inevitable. But RICK makes several good points in showing where progress has not been made.

And the obvious parody quotes attributed to both me and RICK, by the malicious KIWI of course, (aka Fankenfem) should always be understood to be the work - once again -of a spoiled rich child who, by his paternally-provided safety net, is free from any actual accountability. Look at his website/blog and anyone can see that he is unemployable in any normal sense as no one would hire anyone with such chronic issues of anger. He is, nevertheless, as extremely intelligent as he is unstable and vindictive, a powerful petri dish case to be sure.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jun 27, 2012 7:51:58 PM

5. Rick, if you want to believe you burned me at some point, I'm happy to play along: Ouch, I'm hot! Feel better?

Uffda: I'm quite aware where progress has not been made, the faces above this story are prime examples of how backwards and ignorant the US still is. But the historical and constitutional trajectory is clear, and it is towards equality. Homophobia won't vanish, but the homophobe's power to legislate will. It has already vanished in states like my own.

Posted by: Ernie | Jun 27, 2012 9:43:56 PM

6. where's Crazy Eyes Bachmann? why isn't she on the list

Posted by: Grover Underwood | Jun 27, 2012 11:44:20 PM

7. Manzullo lost his reelection, so that's something.

Posted by: NoSleep4Sam | Jun 28, 2012 12:58:09 AM

8. I wonder how many of them have served in the military.

Posted by: BILLOFTHEDESERT | Jun 28, 2012 7:28:17 AM

9. Only a matter of time before Mike Rogers exposes their intimate connections with the LGBT community. They're all closeted because you can't develop this kind of hatred because individuals choose to love whom they love and express their love through sexual relations as well as other connections that are within most loving relationships.

Posted by: The Political Junkie | Jun 28, 2012 4:58:52 PM

10. Akin and Burton will not return to Congress next term. Akin is running for Governor and Burton lost his GOP primary - not for being too right-wing, but for being ineffective.

Posted by: Christopher | Jul 4, 2012 5:30:24 PM