Morrissey to Retire from Music

Morrissey

Former Smiths frontman Morrissey says he'll be retiring in two years when he turns 55:

"I am slightly shocked to have gone as far as I have. This is my 30th year, and I’ve aged a lot recently, which is bit distressing for me, as it must be for everyone. The body changes shape and there’s nothing you can do about it. Do I continue as a modern day Andy Williams? I take one hour at a time. We will all probably be blown up by the Syrian government soon, anyway, so it hardly matters in the great scheme of things [laughs]."

Comments

1. Guy from DC says

I love the music of the Smiths, and I liked some of his later stuff. At one of the first concerts I ever went to, he did most of the show laying on his back on the stage. But I honestly thought that he retired years ago.

Meat is murder, but apparently donuts are alright. And what does this have to do with Syria?

2. randomguy says

British musicians seem to all be like this. My beloved Damon Albarn is always threatening to quit some thing or another too, then invariably comes back.

I just read the other day that Morrissey has an already-completed album in the can but doesn’t have a label to release it, but it’s mainly because he’s a prima donna about it being a major label and he’s the kind of artist that doesn’t make sense on a major anymore (because ALMOST NO ONE DOES).

3. Monrob says

You should be doing cartwheels. You are lucky you can damn retire at 55. Very few people can retire at 65 and be financially secure. Count your blessings and stop complaining about your body not being nice. You look fine to me.

4. ratbastard says

I agree, British musicians seem to be particularly prone to these prima donna hysterics. Although Morrissey takes the cake. Bipolar? Wouldn’t doubt it.

I loved The Smiths as a kid.

5. Paul R says

That’s an old picture. He has looked a bit beaten up recently.

Still, almost every sentence in this statement is absurd. But that’s hardly new.

6. Matt says

I attended my first Morrissey concert a week ago. Yes, the man has said some offensive things in the past. But overall, he is a terrific performer, and a really unique voice (both musically and otherwise). I look forward to hearing more from him, including his rumored autobiography.

7. Tim says

If only he’d retire his mouth altogether. It’d be great to see him disappear and stop tarnishing the memory of The Smiths. His current arrogance makes it harder and harder to listen to the band.

8. says

The Smiths catalog plus one Morrissey single – “Irish Blood English Heart,” and that sums up that musical legacy for me, which has always been spearheaded by Johnny Marr. Gluten and bi-polar disorder don’t mix.