Boy Scouts | Jennifer Tyrrell | News

BigGayDeal.com

National Boy Scouts Board Member Calls for End to Gay Ban

James Turley, the Global Chairman & CEO of Ernst & Young, last night called on the Boy Scouts of America to drop its discriminatory policy against gay scouts and scout leaders.

TurleySaid Turley in a statement to CNBC:

“Ernst & Young is proud to have such a strong record in LGBT inclusiveness. As CEO, I know that having an inclusive culture produces the best results, is the right thing for our people and makes us a better organization. My experience has led me to believe that an inclusive environment is important throughout our society and I am proud to be a leader on this issue. I support the meaningful work of the Boy Scouts in preparing young people for adventure, leadership, learning and service, however the membership policy is not one I would personally endorse. As I have done in leading Ernst & Young to being a most inclusive organization, I intend to continue to work from within the BSA Board to actively encourage dialogue and sustainable progress.”

Jennifer Tyrrell, the Ohio den mother who was ousted from her position for being a lesbian, launched a petition campaign calling on Turley and another BSA Board Member —the CEO of AT&T, Randall Stephenson — to stand with her in calling for an end to the ban.

Comments

1. It's great to garner support, but how could he, in good conscience, be a board member of an organization that blatantly discriminates, when Ernst and Young has "such a strong record of inclusiveness"?

Posted by: percy | Jun 13, 2012 8:35:44 AM

2. Good luck - especially when the Mormon church has their claws pretty deep into the Boy Scouts organization. And we all know how much they love the gays...

Posted by: Kieran | Jun 13, 2012 8:49:18 AM

3. I agree with Kieran. The Mormon church pretty much runs BSA. It will not change as long as they are in control.

Posted by: Brad | Jun 13, 2012 9:44:49 AM

4. Learning that the CEOs of Ernst & Young and AT&T are on the board of the Boy Scouts of America only makes me think that their vaunted commitment to inclusiveness is just public relations bs.

Posted by: Jay | Jun 13, 2012 10:03:55 AM

5. The next logical step is to resign from the board if the policy isn't rescinded. Otherwise, it is "just talk."

Posted by: Brian | Jun 13, 2012 10:06:58 AM

6. THis is good news, but please don't forget the atheists and other non judeo-christian folks. You can;t be a scout and be an atheist either!

Posted by: busytimmy | Jun 13, 2012 10:53:04 AM

7. I know Jim Turley personally and he and his family have always been fair-minded and progressive people. Was really surprised to read of him on Towleroad this morning!

Posted by: Mike | Jun 13, 2012 10:55:34 AM

8. That's a nice gesture. It's reminds me of the Log Cabin Republican apologists who defend their association with an anti-gay institution that altogether rejects them, by saying they are "working from within the party" for change. I wish him success.

Posted by: Joe in CT | Jun 13, 2012 11:26:05 AM

9. I work for an EY competitor and I sent Jim an email to thank him for his. Those of you who are critical ignore the reality of what it takes to effect change in an orgnazation that is over 100 years old and, understandably, tradition bound. The timing may be a bit over due but let's celebrate, not chastise.

Posted by: Ted | Jun 13, 2012 1:01:30 PM

10. Considering that virtually no inroads have been made on this issue, I think this is very positive.

Posted by: kirkyo | Jun 13, 2012 2:10:04 PM

11. "To keep myself...morally straight". What part of the Scout Oath isn't understood here?

Posted by: Kent | Jun 13, 2012 2:34:21 PM

12. @Kent... the part you quote, apparently. You seem to think "straight" is a synonym here for "heterosexual" rather than "correct", and you're wrong.

Posted by: Vint | Jun 13, 2012 5:31:27 PM

13. Marriage reflects the natural moral and social law evidenced the world over. As the late British social anthropologist Joseph Daniel Unwin noted in his study of world civilizations, any society that devalued the nuclear family soon lost what he called "expansive energy," which might best be summarized as society's will to make things better for the next generation. In fact, no society that has loosened sexual morality outside of man-woman marriage has survived.

Analyzing studies of cultures spanning several thousands of years on several continents, Chairman of Harvard University’s sociology department, Pitirim Sorokin. found that virtually all political revolutions that brought about societal collapse were preceded by a sexual revolution in which marriage and family were devalued by the culture’s acceptance of homosexuality.

When marriage loses its unique status, women and children most frequently are the direct victims. Giving same-sex relationships or out-of-wedlock heterosexual couples the same special status and benefits as the marital bond would not be the expansion of a right but the destruction of a principle. .

Posted by: Mormons Are Christian | Jun 13, 2012 7:15:31 PM

14. I'm glad to see Turley taking this stance. E&Y is a great organization because of leaders like him.

Posted by: Books | Jun 15, 2012 11:17:12 AM