Barack Obama | Florida | GLAAD | Mormon | Music Video | Relationships | Religion | Royalty | Sci Fi

NEWS: Monarchs, Mormonism, Sci-Fi, And 'Jan Pehchan Ho'

Queen-elizabeth-2-coronation-1040sp-112210

Towleroad-roadicon Vids and pics from the Diamond Jubilee.

Towleroad-roadicon The New Yorker's 60 years of sassy queen coverage.

Towleroad-roadicon Grey's Anatomy, Days of Our Lives among winners at last nights GLAAD Media Awards, in Frisco.

Obamanote Towleroad-roadicon Remember the fellow who's challenging Jonah Goldberg to a boxing match? He's Jamie Kilstein, a comedian, and here's his gay marriage rant. Be aware that the language is a little coarse. (Thanks to FilmTurtle for the link.)

Towleroad-roadicon An ideal European getaway for the supervillain in your life.

Towleroad-roadicon A fifth grader cuts class; gets pretty awesome exculpatory note.

Towleroad-roadicon For these married Mormons, love conquered faith:

“I don’t believe in God,” my husband whispered in the darkness of our bedroom.

... his confession hung over our nuptial bed. And though I’d known this was coming — he’d been struggling with his faith for at least two years — I’d never considered what I’d say. Sean had always been the rational one, a brilliant computer scientist who spoke sense when I was in the throes of clinical depression. Now, my thoughts went still as I groped for his hand. Before I could process what I was saying, forbidden words slipped off my tongue. “You are more important to me than the Church,” I said.

Towleroad-roadicon Sci-fi as mental oxygen, from William Gibson:

... When I was five, I was chastised for disagreeing with an Air Force man, a visitor to our home, who made mock of my Willy Ley book. I knew he was wrong when he said that space travel would never happen. And I was right, at least in the relatively short term, just a few years off from Sputnik. I was a native, I felt unquestioningly, of Tomorrow.

But somewhere along the way, during the decade after my argument with the Air Force man, Tomorrow went lowercase. By 1964, when I was negotiating puberty in the chill deeps of the Cold War, history itself had become the Atomic Disintegrator. In those years, I was drawn to science fiction (and mainly to its prose forms) for the evidence it offered of manifold possibilities of otherness. To a curious, anxious, white male child coming of age in an incurious and paranoid white monoculture, there was literally nothing like it—though a great deal of science fiction, possibly the majority of it, I was starting to notice, depicted futuristic monocultures that were dominated by white males. The rest, however, had as much to do with making me the person I am today as anything else did. Things might be different, science fiction told me, and different in literally any way you could imagine, however radical. Simply to know that people who thought that way existed was a game changer for me. Being able to directly access their minds, as a reader, was like discovering an abundant, perpetually replenished, and freely available source of mental oxygen. You bought it from a wire rack in the bus terminal, less than a dollar a shot, and took home Alfred Bester, Fritz Leiber, Theodore Sturgeon, Robert Sheckley, and many others—and then you saw things differently ...

Towleroad-roadicon It's Jefferson Davis Day in Florida -- because that actually is a holiday there -- and to celebrate, the governor's purging the voter rolls. Or would be, if the Department of Justice hadn't stopped him.

Towleroad-roadicon You know that hideously catchy song from that Heineken commercial? See it in its proper context -- in the 1965 Indian hit Gumnaan, given voice by the legendary Mohammed Rafi -- AFTER THE JUMP. Seriously, hideously catchy.

Comments

1. the salon piece on the Mormon wife is a terrific read.
    and this is the reality of a great many modern-day religions - they don't just wreak havoc on lgbt people or couples.

and ya gotta love 'jan pehchan ho' - which many art-film lovers will remember from being featured in the opening scenes of "Ghost World"

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jun 3, 2012 5:21:09 PM

2. Whatever links you click on, be sure to go to the "gay marriage rant" by Jamie Kilstein. It's f*cking hysterical!

As a side note...why is towleroad censoring comments that have curse words in them? It's really asinine.

Posted by: peterparker | Jun 3, 2012 5:28:59 PM

3. Whatever links you click on, be sure to go to the "gay marriage rant" by Jamie Kilstein. It's f*cking hysterical!

Posted by: peterparker | Jun 3, 2012 5:29:02 PM

4. That production number is a masterpiece of camp.

Posted by: jaragon | Jun 3, 2012 6:12:05 PM

5. Don't say Frisco. It's San Francisco.

Posted by: Matt | Jun 3, 2012 6:51:40 PM

6. By the way, iran pehchan ho is from Gumnaam, not Gumnaan. Sounds like you love naan too much.

Posted by: David | Jun 3, 2012 6:59:25 PM

7. *jan. Fudging autocorrect.

Posted by: David | Jun 3, 2012 7:09:15 PM

8. @David: "...from Gumnaam, not Gumnaan."

Thank you for clearing that up.

Posted by: Fred | Jun 3, 2012 8:10:45 PM

9. Jamie Kilstein is made of awesome. I've watched that Green Room episode about fifty times, principally because that episode's panel was about as close to perfect as Provenza could have assembled, given the connections between the four comedians before the episode was taped.

I still think that Lewis Black and Kathleen Madigan would destroy the world if they ever got off the pot and married each other, but hey, they're still pretty cool just living in sin from time to time.

Posted by: Jerry | Jun 3, 2012 8:33:49 PM

10. *destroy the world with awesomeness, that is.

Posted by: Jerry | Jun 3, 2012 8:34:47 PM

11. I've been enjoying Jaan Pehechaan Ho since discovering it in in the 2001 film Ghost World. The music video is one of the DVD extras. I never get tired of it. The girl in the gold dress is pure joy.

Posted by: Grady | Jun 3, 2012 8:45:39 PM

12. If you like Jaan Pehchaan Ho, check out this Indian take on the Beatles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxxi6LZ3Jv0

Posted by: Aniket | Jun 3, 2012 10:50:49 PM

13. Who cares what the Queen thinks!!!

Posted by: Jeffrey | Jun 4, 2012 4:07:21 AM

14. For the love of GOD, don't say "Frisco". Frisco is a city north of Dallas, in Texas. They city to which you refer in Northern California is San Fransisco. If you have to abbreviate, well, don't. Thanks.

Posted by: Steve | Jun 4, 2012 6:36:04 AM

15. The British can have their Queen. She is a good tourist attraction for Britain. I don't understand how self respecting Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders etc can accept a foreigner as their Head of State.

Posted by: andrew | Jun 4, 2012 1:33:35 PM

16. because she's ceremonial. our parliament passes laws, she gives royal assent. i don't understand how any self-respecting american can accept a republican as their president.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jun 4, 2012 1:39:55 PM