Comments

1. Stephen says

Jean Francois (Blondin) Gravelet did it in 1859. So did William Hunt. Walleda is just the first person to do it in 116 years.

(FYI, ABC was being VERY generous with where the border actually was)

2. SweetBabyKeith says

Agreed, Michael Bedwell. As admirable as the feat was, there was just a little too much of the praising of the Jesus and the “Glory Be to God in the Highest”…it was enough to make me want to telepathically snap that cord with my mind just so he’d shut up.

3. SweetBabyKeith says

Also, I’ve been thinking about this all day. Think of the millions spent on this extravaganza. He did it “for the glory of God?” REALLY?! Pardon the cynicism, but I’m thinking he id it for the glory of Nic. Because I’m pretty sure Jesus would want those millions of dollars spent elsewhere. “Wah wah wahhhhh…” (Debbie Downer music) I’m a hypocrite, though, because I watched.

4. Johnson says

…””America’s great wonders”??? The falls he walked over are Canadian.”…

And, Canada is in North America, therefor it is American, and even if the falls are in Canada, they are an American wonder not unlike the rainforests of Brazil.

5. andrew says

The creator, if there be one, of this billion gallaxy universe was protecting this human on the third rock from our star in a corner of one of the billion gallaxies in the universe. It is so ridiculous. It is just human arrogance.

6. Mike says

I thought “cool stunt” was an over justification. It was a feat of some sort granted. However ABC’s playing fast and loose with the facts, it’s over promotion of it, over advertising, and the evangelical comments by Nik Wallenda himself made it a BIG fail.

7. Mike says

I thought “cool stunt” was an unusual over justification by Towleroad. It was a feat of some sort granted. However ABC’s playing fast and loose with the facts, it’s over promotion of it, over advertising, and the evangelical comments by Nik Wallenda himself made it a BIG fail.

8. Bill says

Being familiar with Niagara Falls (are most of the commentators?) they are actually between New York and Ontario. He went over the Horseshoe Falls, which is on the Canadian side…but they referred to America in the comments…or did the United States change its name…I think Canada and the U.S. are sharing much of the continent. I also wonder if any commentators are ready to get on a tightwire and hoof it across anything higher than five inches? I believe the previous rope walk was over another area…probably the whirlpool. There’s a lot of sour grapes coming from a lot of couch potatoes whose daring adventures are most likely an extra trip to the fridge to grab that last beer. Despite all the praising….they are a close family and a religious one….it was a hell of a feat…and the work of a man and on his own accord in spite of the idea that he thinks that he had extraterrestrial support.

9. Dave says

But wait a minute – wasn’t that a safety harness he had attached to the wire? The point (if there is a point) to these stunts is the danger – this guy was never in any danger. If he’d fallen, the only thing damaged would be his pride. Boring.