David Burtka | Gay Parents | Neil Patrick Harris | News | Oprah

Oprah Visits Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka, and Their Twins: VIDEO

Oprahnph

In an episode of Oprah's Next Chapter which aired yesterday, and may be repeating on her OWN network, Winfrey visits Neil Patrick Harris and David Burtka at their home and meets their kids and sees their nursery.

Oprah asks the couple about the challenges they've faced parenting, if one is more "maternal" than the other, and how they plan to tell the kids about what Harris calls the "weirdly scientific" way in which they were conceived and born.

She also asks Harris and Burtka about their past relationships with women, and about when they realized they were gay.

WATCH, AFTER THE JUMP...

What they'll tell the children about how they were born:

Parenting challenges:

Past relationships with women:

Comments

1. I actually don't mind her asking "that question"

I was sexually active with females when I was in my teens, and I know a lot of other gay men were as well.

We're in a culture where we still have to Come Out, and many adopt a faux-hetero life and identity - we aint "orientation neutral" just yet. It's actually a fair question at this moment in LGBT History.

Me having sex with females didn't make me straight, nor did it even make me bi. It made me a closeted-homosexual who was adamantly committed to my act.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jun 4, 2012 4:52:15 PM

2. Both have stated that they dated múltiple women in prior interviews thats why she asked

Posted by: Kimono | Jun 4, 2012 6:59:28 PM

3. Redball when he mentioned Kinsey he inplied he fell in the middle maybe not bi

Posted by: Kimono | Jun 4, 2012 7:05:00 PM

4. He used the as an example that they think sexuality is broad, and I agree.
    It was a very insightful and honest interview. David said that they agreed to do it because they thought it was important. Good job Burtka-harris family

Posted by: pal | Jun 4, 2012 8:10:40 PM

5. Regarding Mary's post and the responses about having a mother in their lives, a woman provides certain things for a child and so does a father. It has been proven children without a father grow up to be more likely to drop out of high school, end up in jail, etc. A woman provides the nurturing side, the father provides the order, protection and authority in a household. They both have their roles. Of course, that's in an ideal world. Almost no one has an ideal upbringing. Everyone comes from some sort of dysfunction - single parent, divorce, death of a parent, people having kids who should never have them in the first place, and everything else under the sun. My parents weren't perfect, and no one's are, but they both provided something very important for me and I'm glad I had them both despite everything. So I guess I understand what she was trying to say.

Posted by: Carrie | Jun 5, 2012 12:38:27 AM

6. I see people make a lot of comments about how having a 2 parent household (mom and dad) is not so great or important. Others mention there are a lot of kids whose mother may die from a disease or accident and the kids grow up just fine, or how they were raised by just a mom (or dad) and are just fine. I work for an organization that teaches teens how to make healthy choices. Most of our kids are in high risk areas, where there are a lot of single parents (mostly without fathers). It is worst in our community (Black) and it definitely makes a difference in how they function as adults. Of course, you can survive without one or the other but there's a difference between surviving and thriving. Yes, there are a lot of dysfunctional heterosexual relationships and instead of trying to justify/defend a household without a mom or dad we should just admit that the dysfunctional heterosexual relationships aren't right either. Just because many are dysfunctional doesn't somehow justify purposely not having a mom or dad. The kids whose parents die by accident didn't go out of their way to make sure the mom died, it was an accident, not done on purpose and those kids still suffer the effects of not having that parent. Yeah, they survive but they are effected nonetheless. I have friends whose mother's died of cancer when they were teens and they are still affected to this day. They have issues, but they'll live. But the single parent households in the Black & Hispanic community is a big issue and it's getting worse. We have to admit it's a problem, not try to justify it or sugar coat it by saying that the kids turn out fine. It's been proven in these communities that kids with single parents have more problems than kids with both parents (mom and dad). So why would it be different in any other community? We can't change the facts, they speak for themselves. We just try to empower them from where they are. It seems like people just get more cynical and give up on the "ideal." Being a single parent has now become the norm but that doesn't mean it's right. We just accept it because, well, it doesn't kill you! We shouldn't be tolerating heterosexual single parenthood but we do even though its not good. It's not the best, but it won't kill you, so we just settle for less. It just seems people go through great lengths to justify their behavior, whatever it is. You can't point to bad heterosexual parents to justify same sex parents, because bad heterosexual parents are in the wrong. They need to be corrected. One doesn't justify the other. Two wrongs don't make a right. Nothing on this earth will be ideal, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try for it, even if we had a dysfunctional childhood.

Posted by: shawn | Jun 5, 2012 2:12:53 AM

7. P,S, I was mostly raised by my father in my pre-teens as my parents divorced when I was 7. I didn't go live with her until I was 17 and that was by my own choice. My father was a great provider. I had everything I wanted, nice house, good school, clothes, food, I lacked nothing but I missed my mother terribly. I loved my father but my mother provided something different. Again, not that she was perfect but, let's face it, talking to my father about my period....not ideal. He has never had one! Ugh.

Posted by: Carrie | Jun 5, 2012 2:27:29 AM

8. These kids, who are lovely and appear to be incredibly happy, are growing up in the lap of luxury with constant care. I really can't see them dropping out of high school or falling apart socially because they have same-sex parents. What matters to children is love and care.

PERIOD.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jun 5, 2012 9:47:53 AM

9. "That question" was completely appropriate on many levels. Oprah gives her guests a platform to express themselves...who they are, who they were...and who they hope to become. The "sliding scale" of sexuality was partially in answer to that question...and it was perfectly handled.
    Kiwi said it just right...and for many of us gay folk, the line has not always been clearly drawn in the sand. For some, yes. The world needs to know, hear and understand this !! Sexuality can be fluid...and rigid thinking is what we're trying to evolve from.

Posted by: Paul B. | Jun 5, 2012 3:34:44 PM

10. Frankly, it is superbly boring and idiotic when people demand that an interview be utterly, impeccably politically correct, which is exactly what half of these comments are demanding; such comments say nothing, and are just meaningless complaints about a somewhat interesting interview; and by the way, maternal and paternal are simple adjectives that can apply to any gender or whatever. Good parenting is just that: good parenting; there are no special exigencies required; the fact that you are constantly rejecting the nuclear family belies your pointless obsession with it. It is merely a variation among thousands, neither worse or better than any other. Its the parents/parent who count, DUH. Besides, this is OPRAH. If you want erudite conversation, go somewhere else and stop moaning.

Posted by: Matt | Jun 5, 2012 7:07:41 PM

11. It looks like the nanny does the bulk of the raising. This is one of the most disgusting interviews I've seen. It's too bad Joan Crawford wasn't alive to interview her. This is the height of selfishness Even the obvious money and surroundings could not take away from the seediness of it all The children are props for their TV show. It's all stage managed. You have to wonder about the psychological aspects, that will most certainly rear their head at some point.

Posted by: Skip | Jun 9, 2012 10:41:21 PM

12. The most amazing thing is how people can rationalize ANYTHING to get what THEY WANT. It's like a bad salesman. Too bad the products are human beings. From the way they are handling these children I wouldn't trust these two babysitting. It's as if Ozzie and Harriet were the same sex and they brainwashed each other into creating a "family" Wonder what the cost of all that genetic mumbo jumbo amounted to?. This is a dangerous, and relatively new, form of child abuse. Seriously.

Posted by: Gary | Jun 9, 2012 11:06:31 PM