AIDS/HIV | News | Randy Phillips

BigGayDeal.com

Gay Airman Randy Phillips Reflects on the 20-Something Generation and HIV While on AIDS/LifeCycle Ride: VIDEO

Phillips

You'll remember Randy Phillips as the gay Airman whose series of pre-DADT repeal videos caused a sensation on YouTube before he revealed himself and came out to his dad in one of them.

Phillips is currently participating in the AIDS/LifeCycle ride from San Francisco to L.A. and spoke with I'm from Driftwood about perceptions about people living with HIV, particularly is own mom:

She couldn't think of any, couldn't relate to another gay person who had had a normal life, who grew up healthy and had a successful life and a career and lived a long life and maybe got married and found somebody and possibly had some kids. She didn't think that's what my life would be like. She thought it would be absolutely a horror story and that I'd die 10 years later alone, a drug addict, from HIV.

And the 20-something generation:

I kind of wanted to parlay what little bit of attention I got from YouTube into something I think is a taboo for our generation. Not very many people in their early 20s like to think about AIDS...We kind of think we have it under control, but we don't. It's still very big and it shouldn't be a taboo. It should be something we talk about and discuss and fundraise for and fight and be active in our communities.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Whether one will die alone, a drug addict with HIV is completely independent of being gay. Your choices in life decide if you will die alone, a drug addict with HIV regardless of your sexuality.

Posted by: Larry | Jun 6, 2012 10:02:04 PM

2. I love it when a cutie becomes an activist!
    =)

Posted by: George F | Jun 6, 2012 11:10:38 PM

3. Larry: he was describing his mother's initial reaction to his coming out. Who are you lecturing?

Posted by: Bingo | Jun 7, 2012 12:01:51 AM

4. Good. Airman Phillips is recognized for his previous videos on coming out. He is taking it to another level. Becoming involved. There will be those who see him on this site, YouTube, who will listen to him. Randy doesn't have the answers but he is looking for them and asking, exploring in a context and with a medium that others his age will follow. Coming out, meeting those who have HIV/AIDS, just experiencing one of those days where things don't go as well as one would like, good for him to help others by being with him on the journey toward figuring what it all is. It's a good thing.

Posted by: GJ | Jun 7, 2012 12:15:51 AM

5. OMG

If I ever had a son, this is the boy that I'd want. He's a miracle.

...although I'd also adopt Zach, I think. lol

Posted by: JAMES in Toronto | Jun 7, 2012 12:29:10 AM

6. What Randy didn't mention is that he is one of the top AIDS/LifeCycle fundraisers - he raised more than $22,000 to support the HIV/AIDS services of the L.A. Gay & Lesbian Center and San Francisco AIDS Foundation!

Posted by: Jim Key | Jun 7, 2012 12:41:09 AM

7. This little dude is so sweet and well meaning someone should begin auctioning him off to be taken care of for a year at a time so that more of us can have his bright spirit around more personally. I'm up for his immediate adoption.

Contrast he and Zach Wahls against KIWI - sunshine vs corruption.

Posted by: UFFDA | Jun 7, 2012 2:41:02 AM

8. Nu cu mult timp identificat cu privire la site-ul dvs. şi deja sunt în continuare de-a lungul lectură. Am presupus că i se va putea părăsi primul meu comentariu. Eu nu verifica ceea ce spun cu excepţia faptului că am bucurat de lectură. Frumos blog. bine să fie bookmarking continuaţi să vizitaţi acest site foarte tipic.

Posted by: chaussures converse | Jun 7, 2012 4:37:10 AM

9. I felt proud at how we overcame the stark terror of AIDS in the early 80'a and showed love to one another. Now I feel proud of our younger generation, and Randy Phillips's accomplishments for himself and others bodes well for our future.

Yes, I also feel like adopting him, but isn't he already our son, in a way? AIDS brought out the fact that there is a loosely-knit queer family in the world. Remember when lesbians noticed they weren't getting sick, and some of them started taking care of the men who had gotten sick? And our family connection extends far beyond AIDS into all the aspects of queer life and our interactions with the rest of the culture.

I want equality, but that isn't because LGBT's are the same as everyone else. We aren't better than other members of human culture, but we aren't the same as them, either. The world is lucky to have us.

I'm proud that we have someone like Randy among us.

Posted by: Demian | Jun 7, 2012 4:46:38 AM

10. @BINGO: His mother and my 12 year old self.

Posted by: Larry | Jun 7, 2012 6:42:49 AM

11. Airman Randy Phillips is hands-down awesome. Whatever drew him to the military, he will be all that he can be wherever he is; whatever he does. That accrues as a huge gain to the military as a result of DADT repeal.

I was moved by his “coming out” video and his dad’s response which shattered a stereotype about folks from Alabama. To recognize that he could leverage that and take it further underscores the value of freedom and the creative spirit it releases for expression.

I’m delighted to see this. It’s beautiful and I want to wish him well. Live long and prosper, Randy Phillips!

Posted by: Bad Humor Boy | Jun 7, 2012 7:46:29 AM

12. I heard the conversation with his father--watta guy! Watta pair of guys!

As for his mom, she's willfully deceived. Wonder what she's running from.

Posted by: Daniel Berry, NYC | Jun 7, 2012 8:34:49 AM

13. I want to be his friend! He sounds so down-to-earth.

Posted by: Andreas | Jun 7, 2012 9:15:35 AM