2012 Election | Law Enforcement | Mitt Romney | News

Lawrence O'Donnell on Mitt Romney's Cop Uniform Fetish: VIDEO

Romney

On last night's The Last Word, Lawrence O'Donnell reported that Mitt Romney used to brag about impersonating a police officer:

When Mitt Romney wasn't gay bashing kids whose hair he didn't like, Mitt Romney 's other favorite sick thing to do was to impersonate a police officer. In an exclusive article just released tonight by the National Memo, details emerge of a Mitt Romney who as a college freshman at Stanford University allegedly admitted to fellow dorm mates that he sometimes disguised himself as a police officer, and laid out on his bed was a Michigan state trooper's uniform. One of the people who saw the uniform said he told us that he had gotten the uniform from his father, George Romney , then the governor of Michigan, whose security detail was staffed by uniform troopers. he told us that he was using it to pull over drivers on the road. 'He also had a red flashing light that he would attach to the top of his white rambler. We thought it was all pretty weird....'

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Creepy. That's a classic trap used by rapists to get their victims.

Posted by: Sean in Dallas | Jun 7, 2012 9:01:40 PM

2. For what it's worth, you should capitalize Rambler -- it's the make of a car:

Posted by: Joseph | Jun 7, 2012 9:05:01 PM

3. Is this true? That's what serial killers sometimes do.

Posted by: Yonkersconquers | Jun 7, 2012 9:37:58 PM

4. Do I remember accurately that one of the selling points of the Rambler was that its from seat folded down evenly with the back seat, making it a mobile bedroom? Or is that simply a feverish imagination at work?

Posted by: gregory brown | Jun 7, 2012 9:39:27 PM

5. If true (and based on Romney's past I don't really doubt it), this is really disturbing, pathological behavior. Though it IS a tactic that has been used by criminals in the past that's not the only thing disturbing about it.

One of the things that struck me about the Romney hair-cut story was how fixated Romney was that someone dared "step out of line" by growing their hair than HE felt was acceptable. According to those who came forward, Romney kept saying things like "Look at that! He can't get away with that!" When the boy DID "get away with it," Romney took it upon himself to enforce his own standards by gathering a posse to hold the kid down while Romney cut his hair.

And here once again we have Mitt Romney acting as an unauthorized authority to enforce his own standards and rules. This is just the type of person that Criminal Justice tries to KEEP OUT of actually serving as an officer. I doubt Romney would have passed the psychological exam to become a real police officer. (Not that plenty of odd-balls, control-freaks, and bullies don't become police officers.)

Posted by: Caliban | Jun 7, 2012 10:04:15 PM

6. Nothing like a sexy cop, which I'm sure he was. Better than getting in drag or dressing up like a honky white Harvard student. At least Romney displays a sense of humor. And don't try to tell me you wouldn't gag on it. Are you gay or what?

Posted by: Garth | Jun 7, 2012 10:37:19 PM

7. GARTH, please either leave or explore your sexual curiosities in a more civil way.

Posted by: MonkeyPuzzle | Jun 7, 2012 10:54:27 PM

8. I wonder if he collected fines from the people he pulled over. Maybe he needed pocket money or maybe they paid with sexual favors.

Posted by: Swiminbuff | Jun 7, 2012 10:54:44 PM

9. Monkeypuzzle: That was comedy, but remember sex is the common denominator. We aren't choir boys or The LA Gay Men's Choir. I find that choir more cringe worthy than any racy comment. Watching them sing is embarrassing. All those tilting heads and ernest expressions make me want to puke.

Posted by: Garth | Jun 7, 2012 11:22:13 PM

10. Not surprised. Everything about him reeks of entitled power-tripper.

Posted by: Chris | Jun 7, 2012 11:30:30 PM

11. Most politicians are control freaks. They all want bigger and bigger governemnt regulating our lives, thoughts and actions. If Romney is a control freak about other individuals' behaviors, he's no different than Mayor Bloomberg who wants to tell us how large our soda can be and how much we can eat at McDonald's. Politics draws people who want to dictate to others what to do. A person who truly believed in free will and self-governance would never run for public office. Both parties are the same when it comes to this ideal: They both want the government to be bigger and to control more aspects of our lives. There is no difference between the parties. That said, Mitt Romney is really creepy.

Posted by: JCMS | Jun 7, 2012 11:33:41 PM

12. As someone who's seen a lot of weird fetishes on the Web, I have to say this one's pretty tame.

Posted by: ophu | Jun 7, 2012 11:52:55 PM

13. Stopping strangers whilst dressed as a police officer isn't a fetish it's a pathology. It's also illegal.

Posted by: yonkersconquers | Jun 8, 2012 12:17:50 AM

14. This ranks more under harmless Halloween prank, as opposed to pulling over the paperboy for speeding.

Posted by: Garth | Jun 8, 2012 12:22:52 AM

15. @ JCMS: Though I'm no fan on Mike Bloomberg, I draw a big, bright line between someone regulating cola sizes and someone telling me that I can't marry my partner so that he can get citizenship. But if you mean that Repubs are at least as big-government as the Dems -- and usually for far worse reasons -- then I'm right there with you.

Posted by: Chris | Jun 8, 2012 12:28:32 AM

16. OMG! He drove a Rambler? Really? One of the worst American cars ever made...right behind the AMC Pacer. Wow, he really is not qualified! Not to mention, it is a felony to impersonate a police officer, son of governor or not.

Posted by: millerbeach | Jun 8, 2012 3:57:05 AM

17. I've repeatedly said that Romney is a sociopath and I'm sticking to it.

Posted by: Oliver | Jun 8, 2012 5:04:08 AM

18. Ohhoh!

Posted by: Matt26 | Jun 8, 2012 6:15:02 AM

19. Every new vignette of Romney's past makes him seem weirder and less likable.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Jun 8, 2012 6:23:09 AM

20. Does anyone really believe that if Mitt Romney would ever been caught in a police uniform, performing illegal acts, that he would have gone to jail! No, his daddy would have gotten him off the charge and everything would have been covered up. There is no equal justice or treatment of people in the United States or any other country on this planet.

Posted by: Rob | Jun 8, 2012 6:36:25 AM

21. "A person who truly believed in free will and self-governance would never run for public office. Both parties are the same when it comes to this ideal: They both want the government to be bigger and to control more aspects of our lives. There is no difference between the parties. That said, Mitt Romney is really creepy."

Posted by: nfl nike jerseys | Jun 8, 2012 7:09:36 AM

22. As it was mentioned before, impersonating a police officer is against the law. And this clown is running for President?

Posted by: Jack M | Jun 8, 2012 8:18:26 AM

23. ah c'mon. I know of a dude who got into dressing up in a pilot's uniform + codpiece in front of the camera--and he impersonated a president for 8 years.

Posted by: Daniel Berry, NYC | Jun 8, 2012 8:54:00 AM

24. I have no wish to see Romney anywhere near the Whitehouse, and, yes, I think his conservo politics and Mormon religion are batshit; BUT the man is hot and the idea opt him dressed in a uniform is beyond hot. I'd pay to see that.

Posted by: AC | Jun 8, 2012 9:27:23 AM

25. AC, I hate to admit I, too, think Romney is hot. Wallowing in my dirty shame, I once secretly spent an hour or googling shirtless pics and was not sorry.

Posted by: greatone | Jun 8, 2012 11:09:15 AM