Benji Schwimmer | Dance | I'm Gay | Mormon | News

BigGayDeal.com

'So You Think You Can Dance' Winner Benji Schwimmer Comes Out, Talks About Being Gay and Mormon: VIDEO

Schwimmer

So You Think You Can Dance winner Benji Schwimmer has come out of the closet in an interview with the Mormon Stories Podcast that spans five and a half hours, Reality Blurred reports. Schwimmer was the winner of the second season of SYTYCD in 2006.

I have only had a chance due to time to really skim moments of the videos, but it all follows in three separate videos. The first and second deal with his coming to terms with his sexuality, and quitting the Mormon church in 2011 because of its policies regarding gays working with youths. He also founded the charity group D.E.M.A.N.D. which helps provide healthcare to dancers with HIV/AIDS, as well as other groups who are in need.

Dive in to the interviews, AFTER THE JUMP...

Parts 1 and 2:

Comments

1. I'm not surprised. I suspected it the moment I saw him on SYTYCD despite him talking about being heartbroken after his fiancée had dumped him and despite him denying it many times.

However, I'm susrprised to learn that he was a Mormon. Although that explains why he had left his fiancée to USA when he went to live abroad for a year during which she dumped him for another guy.

Anyway, good for him. Anyone whose not open about it knows how it feels to carry that secret and anyone who has come out knows what a relief it is to finally be truthful about himself/herself. I'm happy for him and I wish him the best.

Posted by: Jude | Jun 4, 2012 1:44:09 PM

2. He's CUTE.

Posted by: Alan | Jun 4, 2012 1:44:14 PM

3. the freedom you gain by Coming Out is a burden off your shoulders.

it's not the cure-all, it's exchanging one set of life complications for another, but at least these are complications which can be met from a place of actual honesty.

kudos to him on coming out, and addressing the bigotry and pressures of a Mormon life.

well met.

and he's an utterly sensational dancer.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jun 4, 2012 1:49:51 PM

4. He and his sister are my two favorite dancers in the world. I do not know much about dancing and do not know the names of many dancers. But they're both incredible. Hopefully he also will be on DWTS.

Posted by: Sp8ce | Jun 4, 2012 1:53:14 PM

5. That does it. I'm JOINING the Mormon Church.

Posted by: Demian | Jun 4, 2012 1:58:35 PM

6. Good for him, NO ONE should be closeted but really!, was he the last to know?

It's the equivalent of Liberace "coming out".

Posted by: Truth | Jun 4, 2012 2:08:35 PM

7. I watched some of this but had to stop when he was talking about how masculine he is, how unlike the effeminate gay men he knows. Queen please.

Posted by: ger | Jun 4, 2012 2:30:08 PM

8. My hat is off to this guy. It must be an Olympic sport to be a non-Mormon who dates a gay ex-Mormon, though. I didn't make it 10 minutes without the torrent of words like "temple worthy" and "apostasy" rolling off his cute lips before my head was spinning. Like a delightful robotic puppy with its head stuffed with incomprehensible programming.

Posted by: Josh | Jun 4, 2012 2:32:12 PM

9. Ger, it's like this idiot, who complains about "stereotypical gay people"

uh....what the heck does he think HE is?!!? LOL!

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jun 4, 2012 2:41:01 PM

10. I know, I ragged on Andy a couple weeks ago about outings, but with this one: DUH.

I do feel for Benji, though, because I know too many Mormons who've been through the same things, some of whom even got into marriage and parenthood feeling stuck.

I was just thinking about Benji this morning, though, because his dad is David Schwimmer's uncle, and, well, David's branch of the Schwimmer clan is Jewish...

Posted by: Jerry | Jun 4, 2012 2:56:06 PM

11. Good for him and hope for the best for him. I thought it was pretty obvious he was gay watching that season. I mean, shoot, he's a dancer! 95% of male dancers are gay

Posted by: Barca | Jun 4, 2012 3:17:02 PM

12. havent watched the vid but, GER, your comment had me HOLLERIN'!!! (reminds me of margaret cho and her "Queen, please!" retort)

Posted by: redball | Jun 4, 2012 3:27:16 PM

13. If you want to see how evil religion is just look at how difficult it has made the life of this bright and good and handsome young man.

Posted by: andrew | Jun 4, 2012 3:27:44 PM

14. I knew he was Mormon during SYTYCD and figured his coming out process would be a long, tough road. Glad to see he managed to do it when he was still in his 20s.

Posted by: Kevin_BGFH | Jun 4, 2012 3:30:04 PM

15. I am sick to death of gay boys bitching effeminate gay men yet their gayness can be spotted 1/2 way around the world. Who the f*ck do these people think they are? It's always the gayest boys who think they're the most straight acting. Shite pisses me off.

Posted by: Michael | Jun 4, 2012 3:41:43 PM

16. Benji and Heidi did a fast mambo that was, in my opinion, the best routine they've EVER had on the show. (And if it'd been up to me, Benji would've been runner-up to Heidi.)

I can't link to it because YouTube took down every trace of that episode. But if anyone is interested I saved the video in FLV format from another site. Would be happy to email it.

Posted by: sparks | Jun 4, 2012 3:59:44 PM

17. Typical. People who didn't even watch the video throwing shade. The boy never said he didn't know he was gay FFS.

AND if you WATCHED IT, you'd see he told his bishops the truth for YEARS when seeking counselling on how to balance the two. Since apparently it's an established custom for gay men to marry women fairly openly in the LDS church. The way he describes it.

Don't try and learn, just mock him. Yay.

Posted by: _swarm | Jun 4, 2012 4:18:43 PM

18. not surprised and I stopped watching the show many seasons ago BUT will always remember this as my fave

jump to 1:33 mark to get into the actual performance

Benji & Natalie dancing to WONDERFUL

it still makes me happy just to watch that dance by them

Posted by: say what | Jun 4, 2012 4:37:27 PM

19. I knew it! Love you Benji - have since the first time I ever saw you dance (love your sister Lacey and your cousin, Heidi too!)
    All the best guy!

Posted by: Torontocentric | Jun 4, 2012 5:13:08 PM

20. Good for Benji, but Travis should have won S2 hands down.

Posted by: A_gay_guy | Jun 4, 2012 5:29:11 PM

21. So we had two excellent gay male dancers in the finals, and we didn't get to see them dance a real dance together. This is why I hate SYTYCD.

Posted by: Randy | Jun 4, 2012 6:24:37 PM

22. He came out to me a few months ago when he tried to jump my bones after our date..... Seriously dude? Then he proceeded to lie repetitively this interview is a joke he's just as big of a queen as anyone else if not worse.... Nice body though :)

Posted by: T_rex | Jun 4, 2012 6:56:12 PM

23. So 6 yrs later his sexuality is more of a headline than his talent or what he did post sytycd. It's like since we forgot he existed he might as well exploit his sexuality ... We knew you were gay the minute the camera panned across your glossy gay face

Posted by: Suchajoke | Jun 4, 2012 6:59:53 PM

24. While not a surprise - I LOVED him and Donyelle on SYTYCD, all these seasons later, they are still the best most exciting couple

Posted by: Marky | Jun 4, 2012 9:22:58 PM

25. Oh... the line about "gays are all into their little convertibles... I'm not THAT kind of gay."

Really?