News | San Francisco

SF Gay Man Missing After Meeting Stranger Using Smartphone App

Flanary

UPDATE: Flanary has been found SAFE.

Police and relatives are searching for 22-year-old Evan Flanary, who went missing almost a week ago on June 19th after meeting a stranger on an online dating app. Police have not disclosed which app Flanary was using though many people are assuming it was Grindr or something similar.

SFist writes:

According to one commenter on SFAppeal who says she's Flanary's sister, Flanary was last seen on the 400 block of Harrison Street near Fremont Street in SoMa around 5:30 p.m. last Tuesday.

Flanary's mother has set up a website:

This is my son, Evan Flanary, 22, 6ft 1, 160 lbs, blonde/blue wearing blue jeans and gray hoody. Last seen on foot in the mission district in San Francisco on June 19 2012 meeting a stranger from a social phone app contact. This is not like him to disappear. He has no money and his phone has died.

According to reports he was also wearing a "Cal" hat.

Anyone with information should contact the San Francisco Police Missing Persons Department 415-734-3268 or J.D. Berlingeri 541-680-2616 or their local Police Dept. Share this website on Facebook or retweet on Twitter if you can assist. Your assistance is very much appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

1. It will be interesting to see if the App maintained logs of the communications and gps coordinates. What a shame. We all have done something similar.

Posted by: Angela Channing | Jun 25, 2012 7:13:17 PM

2. It will be interesting to see if the App maintained logs of the communications and gps coordinates. What a shame. We all have done something similar.

Posted by: Angela Channing | Jun 25, 2012 7:13:20 PM

3. heartbreaking. I don't know how parents survive something like this. I pray he turns up ok.

Posted by: Daniel Berry, NYC | Jun 25, 2012 7:37:05 PM

4. I'm praying for his safe return.

Cautionary tail. Leave whereabouts on your table, text to self or tell a friend where you are going when it's not part of the norm, especially when dealing with a complete stranger.

Posted by: Martin C | Jun 25, 2012 7:37:26 PM

5. You mean that not everyone who uses GRINDR is not a good person? You don't say... I hope people remember to be careful!

Posted by: jason romero phila | Jun 25, 2012 7:38:02 PM

6. I meant not everyone is a good person, not that everyone is not good (I.e. bad)

Posted by: jason romero phila | Jun 25, 2012 7:38:51 PM

7. I hope Evan is found safe... It's a little disturbing.

Another gay man was murdered in SF's Diamond Heights recently (see URL).

Posted by: Denis | Jun 25, 2012 7:39:09 PM

8. "We all have done something similar."

Speak for yourself, dear.

I hope he's found safe and alive.

Posted by: theo | Jun 25, 2012 7:44:33 PM

9. i hope he turns up safe and sound. i know this is an inappropriate thing to mention here, but i can't help noticing he is gorgeous

Posted by: DanSwon | Jun 25, 2012 7:49:25 PM

10. Doesn't referring to someone as "Dear" automatically make the person using such a monicker sound like a complete douch bag? Can't stand bitter gay men that lash out in such a snide manner! Done. I feel better.

Posted by: Martin C | Jun 25, 2012 7:51:22 PM

11. Agreed, Martin. We're not judging Theo for his shennanagins at Dory Alley, so he should just probably just keep his tacky little mouth shut - especially when its in association with a missing person.

Posted by: Fairy P | Jun 25, 2012 8:04:21 PM

12. Not good. I hope he's found safe and sound.

Posted by: Caliban | Jun 25, 2012 8:04:57 PM

13. Thank you Martin C.

Theo, my statement was to convey empathy because at some point in our lives, we have met someone in a bar, for coffee, or, egads, hooked up. I did not mean to suggest that I was judging Evan. For all we know, he may have taken all of the precautions.

Posted by: Angela Channing | Jun 25, 2012 8:12:54 PM

14. Thank you Martin C.

Posted by: Angela Channing | Jun 25, 2012 8:12:55 PM

15. What's scary is that the Diamond Heights murder from less than two weeks earlier seemingly began as a hookup that turned into a murder and robbery. I don't know if that originated on Grindr (SFPD has been really tight-lipped about any details about the DH Murder) but it certainly seems like it started the same way. There were also two hookup murders in Hayes Valley in 2010 that are unsolved.

Posted by: Jason | Jun 25, 2012 8:13:06 PM

16. This sorta has me freaked out a little bit because I live within 1000 feet of the Diamond Heights murder victim (thanks to Grindr, I know this). Of course we don't know who it was, but given the nature of Grindr, it could very possibly be someone very near me.

You never know who is in the other end of the app or screen or whatever. A friend of mine texted all of us about this Evan guy last week with a reminder to always let someone know where you are going. I used to chuckle at my friend in NYC who sends me emails from time to time with something dramatic as the subject like "IN CASE I END UP IN THE HUDSON" with the address and name of the person he was heading of to hookup with. But I'll definitely start to do the same.

Posted by: John | Jun 25, 2012 8:26:06 PM

17. i just looked him up on facebook. this is very strange. http://www.facebook.com/FlanaryEvan

Posted by: dave | Jun 25, 2012 8:50:48 PM

18. I think "his" Facebook there is a cruel joke. That site was probably created as a prank today.

Posted by: MarkUs | Jun 25, 2012 8:56:35 PM

19. *sigh* A lesson all girls learn from an early age: meet in public places, always tell family/girlfriends where you're going if you have a date, never go anywhere with a stranger.

Posted by: NaughtyLola | Jun 25, 2012 9:01:46 PM

20. Guys need to think with their heads before they think with their cocks when they're on these apps. I think its just STUPID to go to some strangers house to have sex at least meet the person up at a public place before you do anything.

Posted by: ed | Jun 25, 2012 9:46:10 PM

21. Something is weird about this. How do they know he was going to meet someone from a social media app? Did he tell someone before he left, but just didn't tell them who it was or where he was going?

Posted by: Q | Jun 25, 2012 10:00:13 PM

22. Yes, it seems there is some missing information. I'd gladly have the information stay missing, and have Evan be found.

I did this kind of thing exactly once. And while I DID let someone know where I'd be, I knew even then it would be cold comfort if my tiny bit of insufficient caution led police to apprehend my murderer.

So far be it from me to preach to anyone about this. But it's scary for obvious reasons ... and I hope this does not turn out to be one of those horrible cautionary tales.

Posted by: Zlick | Jun 25, 2012 10:27:56 PM

23. I have done "this kind of thing" regularly throughout my 20s. The only bad experiences I've had are when the guy turns out to be ugly. I am confident in my ability to judge whether the other man is a murderer in a second or two of eye contact and greetings at his door.

Posted by: tcw | Jun 25, 2012 10:56:04 PM

24. Here's what I don't get reading about this in other places. His phone was active after he was reported missing and before it died. His mother is stating the detectives are "working on a court order" to get the carrier to hand over the trace data, and presumably to get Grindr records.

You have Amber's Law where the authorities basically alert the public and do everything possible for a child because statistics show the majority of children rescued have to be found within 24 hours or the outcome is dire. This guy has been gone over one week and they're waiting on a court order?

Posted by: MarkUs | Jun 25, 2012 11:23:31 PM

25. Here's what I don't get reading about this in other places. His phone was active after he was reported missing and before it died. His mother is stating the detectives are "working on a court order" to get the carrier to hand over the trace data, and presumably to get Grindr records.

Posted by: MarkUs | Jun 25, 2012 11:23:32 PM