Football (American) | I'm Gay | News | Sports | Wade Davis

BigGayDeal.com

Former NFL Player Wade Davis is Gay and Talking About it Publicly for the First Time: VIDEO

Davis

Wade Davis, a former player for the Seattle Seahawks, Tennessee Titans, and Washington Redskins, is talking about the challenges of being gay in the NFL for the first time in a series of interviews with SB Nation and Outsports .

Says Davis: "There was a part of me that was a little relieved because, when I knew football was over, my life would begin. I had this football life, but I didn't have another life away from that. Most of the guys had a family and a wife, but I had football and nothing else."

Watch the interview with SB Nation, AFTER THE JUMP...

USA Today:

In interviews with OutSports and SBNation, Davis talked about the challenges of being closeted in an NFL locker room even as he grew close to heterosexual teammates like the Titans' Jevon Kearse and Samari Rolle.

"You just want to be one of the guys, and you don't want to lose that sense of family," Davis told OutSports. "Your biggest fear is that you'll lose that camaraderie and family. I think about how close I was with Jevon and Samari. It's not like they'd like me less, it's that they have to protect their own brand."

Davis now works with LGBT youth at the Hetrick Martin Institute.

Watch the interview with SB Nation, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. @Rick
    It is too bad you didn't want to address the rest of what I posted at you. It seems to me you took a niggling point that I made and are representing it as being the main thrust. You didn't complete the post, you know the part about "in one way of looking at it." That sounds like I wasn't even prepared to defend that position rigorously, now doesn't it? Do you think you are being intellectually honest? Do you think you appear to others to be being intellectually honest? You ignored the most important point of what I was posting at you, didn't you? What about the point that you can read a lot of stretched implication that agrees with your point into it but can't see implications that are so strong they are hard to tell from explicit.
    O.k. I will argue what you wish to argue, I just wanted to make it clear you are being disingenuous and I am fighting as a straw-man that I am disinterested in because I don't even think you can win the argument you picked out. How is what you quoted in it's context to "equate being gay with being effeminate...?"

Posted by: NullNaught | Jun 5, 2012 5:54:44 PM

2. @Nullnaught It depends on what "working with" young people means. And the vast majority of kids he is dealing with are gay or bi, not transgendered (who are a tiny, tiny, tiny proportion of the population).

I don't know exactly what his work consists of, but I will assume that he basically tells his life story and talks about his experience as a professional football player and answers questions kids might ask him about that experience.....anc encourages those who are interested in sports to pursue their dreams and gives them pointers on how to achieve their goals.

I assume "working with" does not consist of handing out Barbie dolls and demonstrating the many facets of Barbie's wardrobe and accessories and encouraging young gay men to become doll-collectors.

But there I go with my crazy assumptions again, right?

Posted by: Rick | Jun 5, 2012 6:07:26 PM

3. @Rick
    How does it matter what "working with" means? How does the number of transgendered youth there are matter to his acceptance of all of them? He works with them as well as the masculine and effeminate gays and bis. I don't think he would be allowed to discriminate there.
    I don't know what he does to work with them and niether do you. He is by implication accepting of them by working with them in any capacity, now isn't he? Do you think it is realistic to expect that he is discourageing gay and bi boys from being effeminate? It could be, but how realistic does that sound to you? Don't you think the organizers would not accept his volunteer work if he were doing so overtly?
    I don't understand why you think he has to be encourageing young people to do anything to show he accepts them. Just being there he accepts them implicitly. He would have to do something overtly hostile to effeminacy to be non-accepting of effeminate gays and bis to overcome the presumption of acceptance, given his (here) documented behaviour.
    I have never called any of your assumptions "crazy" or intentionally commited any other ad hominem on you. I am trying to reason with you because you would be happier (in my estimation) if you didn't feel the way you do. I think you would upset effeminate gays on this site less if you didn't express the ideas that you do. That is all. I have no animus. Also, I am "crazy," and have said so before. Perhaps you missed it; but in light of that fact, don't you think it would be hypocritical of me to call you 'crazy?' (even though "craazy" don't make me wrong, nor does it you.)

Posted by: NullNaught | Jun 5, 2012 7:12:05 PM

4. Not a hero now that he is not a "player".
    So I'm supposed to care cause he was in the closet on the down low cashing checks?
    Who is he NOW?

Posted by: MCnNYC | Jun 5, 2012 8:57:55 PM

5. Question:
    How is Hettrick Mertin not separate but equal?

Posted by: MCnNYC | Jun 5, 2012 9:00:05 PM

6. You can tell he's new to this. While I applaud his coming out, the hesitancy he showed in advising other players etc. to come out shows me that he's not totally comfortable yet. Protecting your brand? No job is worth giving up your life for!

Posted by: Bartley | Jun 5, 2012 9:22:11 PM

7. Why did you people poke the bear? Who cares what Rick has to say.

Posted by: UGH | Jun 5, 2012 9:44:40 PM

8. Wondering why almost every single comment thread on here devolves into some weird pissing match (looking at Rick and LittleKiwi). There is no right and wrong about how to be gay or how to come out or who should be part of the gay community. This isn't some special clubhouse. Everyone has a different experience, and there will always be a spectrum from the "closet case" who came out late to the "flaming queen" who came out in 6th grade--and every variation in between. We are *all* in this together and the infighting is pointless.

Posted by: Stefan | Jun 6, 2012 9:49:48 AM

9. I disagree that everyone has the same to lose.I believe my neighbor will be murdered if his family finds out he is gay.His female cousin was killed for dating a guy and dishonoring the family.he fears the same can happen to him Its rare but it happens.

Posted by: Kimono | Jun 6, 2012 10:16:47 AM

10. @Nullnaught With all due respect, all you are trying to do is win an argument, instead of carry on a discussion.

Stop being ridiculous. Of course, he does not go into a room and start criticizing kids for being effeminate and picking them up and throwing them against a wall to toughen them.

Any more than I go berserk when I see a drag queen and start in on them with a lecture.

And if he wants to be involved with gay youth, his only option right now is to work with existing organizations.

Look, effeminate behavior is not going to be eliminated by shaming boys into not being so--it is going to be eliminated by giving them positive masculine role models that demonstrate to them how much better their lives will be if they embrace masculinity than if they don't and re-assure them that it is entirely consistent with their sexuality.

Such role models should teach them how to fight back and defend themselves if they are bullied--and work with them to develop courage and confidence--and the understanding that no, they are not of inferior masculinity to straight guys and therefore do not have to back down from them when confronted.....instead of demonstrating to them how to be cowardly and weak, which unfortunately is what the prevailing gay culture of effeminacy does--as does the larger homophobic culture.

Why are you attacking me? I want what is best for these young men. Any gay man who has gone through life the way Derrick has will tell you how unpleasant and tortured an experience it has been. So stop trying to perpetuate such behavior by telling young people that it is "all right" and that that is "just the way they are" and that things will "get better"--when it isn't all right and things won't ever get better and when such behavior can only lead to unhappiness throughout their lives.

Those of you who do so are being horribly irresponsibleif you do so, whether you realize it or not.

Posted by: Rick | Jun 6, 2012 10:39:48 AM

11. Good for Wade! He seems like a great guy. But honestly (and I don't meant his in a snarky way-really)wasn't it obvious to his teammates that he was gay??

Posted by: ribedia | Dec 19, 2012 11:24:43 PM