Gay Marriage | News | Nova Scotia

BigGayDeal.com

Nova Scotia Newspaper Runs Prank Wedding Announcement Featuring Two Straight Guys

Mock

Someone decided it would be funny to send an announcement to Halifax's The Chronicle Herald regarding the wedding of Bobby Cooper and Russell Rogers. Unfortunately, Cooper and Rogers are straight and not getting married. The newspaper, unfortunately, never checked:

Bobby Cooper, one of the men featured in the announcement, issued a statement lashing out at the "prank."
"The announcement was placed as a poorly thought out prank from a friend that I feel should not have been approved by the staff at The Chronicle Herald without checking with one of us first,” Cooper said in the statement.

“I am a strong proponent of equal marriage rights for the LGBT community, and hate having my name involved in a prank that could possibly be perceived as making a mockery of something that the community had to fight towards for so long in Canada."

Cooper was not the only one to take offense at the ad. Leaders of the Halifax gay community were also unimpressed.

“I think it’s stupid. I think it’s childish. I think it’s lame,” said Halifax Pride spokesperson Neville MacKay.

Comments

1. If the paper thought it was a prank, and ran it anyway, then that's a problem. If, however, they don't check straight announcements for validity, and didn't think it necessary to treat these gay guys any differently, then it's all good (except for the individual prankster).

Their response was awesome and supportive of our community. Nice job!

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Jul 20, 2012 1:25:00 PM

2. I hope someone from Halifax's gay community writes a witty correction/retraction piece for the paper - it's the best response to any prank, however juvenile. They are lucky to have each other as best friends and will enjoy telling the story at each other's wedding, then hauling out the newspaper clippings for their grandkids!
    (We haven't forgotten your tragic loss, Halifax. http://www.towleroad.com/2012/04/canadian-activist-beaten-to-death-outside-halifax-gay-bar.html)

Posted by: Hue-Man | Jul 20, 2012 4:12:54 PM

3. ok seriously who is feeding Andy local Halifax news so quickly...I live here and I find out about stuff in my own city on towleroad first...wtf, in a good way, the "nova scotia" tag is getting a lot of use =)

Posted by: epic | Jul 20, 2012 5:14:39 PM

4. I'm a paid humorist and guess what folks, this is funny. Someone once turned in false information for me to the alumni news from my college which was creative and hilarious, and of course they ran it verbatim. Who the hell does fact checking for stories about weddings, funerals, and cats stuck in trees?

Commenters on this site are so freakin' dour. Many of us need to lighten up, I'm here to tell you. It would make my job a lot easier.

Posted by: Rob | Jul 21, 2012 7:30:38 AM

5. Well, maybe people are overreacting, including me when I said the prank was not funny, but the prank even in the best light was only mildly funny. And people are very sensitive about marriage equality these days.

Posted by: Gabe R L | Jul 21, 2012 1:41:27 PM

6. I agree with Dan, its funny. Don't let PC crush your sense of humor.

Posted by: andrew | Jul 22, 2012 2:09:25 AM

7. Not funny for the same reason that the movie Chuck and Larry wasn't funny. I'm sure these guys had the best of intentions but the simple fact is the message they are sending is that gay marriage is a joke. Why not sponsor a real gay couple's announcement? I'll bet if they had asked some gay friends what they think, they would have reconsidered. IF they have any gay friends.

Posted by: towlereader | Jul 22, 2012 4:33:32 AM

8. This is funny and there is nothing to be offended at and actually his pompousness and defensiveness in his reply is what I find subtly homophobic and offensive. Had his friend been a woman instead, would he be upset and claiming that the straight community might accuse him of mocking marriage?

As a self proclaimed "strong proponent of equal marriage rights", he should not be so pretentious to think that anyone else would be offended or consider it mockery. Deluded much? He could've just said "LOL, not true". What is, is, and what isn't, isn't.

Posted by: stranded | Jul 22, 2012 4:46:49 AM

9. I don't understand why anyone would find this even mildly humorous. If the announcement had been that he and a female friend were getting married (and really they were not) that wouldn't be funny, either. It would just be a hassle for them to have to spend the next few years with acquaintances thinking they were married (or divorced, if later they are actually married to someone).

@Stranded: He, no doubt, knows better than you who put this in the paper and recognizes the homophobic streak in that person's sense of humor (someone is gay, oh, how hilarious!)
    This sounds to me like something that only an insecure and weirded-out 11-year old would think is funny.
    What is a racist aquaintance had made a joke of a wedding announcement to a black woman,; would that be "funny?".
    He knows who did this and he recognizes that it isn't funny. His tesponse was very classy and thoughtful.

Posted by: Gregv | Jul 22, 2012 12:59:16 PM

10. You have to wonder why someone paid all that money just to play a joke.

Posted by: Gabe R L | Jul 23, 2012 11:33:56 AM