Anderson Cooper | CNN | Gay Media | News

BigGayDeal.com

Anderson Cooper Comes Out: 'The Fact Is, I'm Gay'

AndersonCooperGay

Finally putting to rest all that speculation, journalist Anderson Cooper has officially and publicly come out as a proud gay man.

"The fact is, I'm gay," Cooper wrote in an email to friend Andrew Sullivan after being asked about an Entertainment Weekly article on public figures who remain in the glass closet:

...I have given some the mistaken impression that I am trying to hide something - something that makes me uncomfortable, ashamed or even afraid. This is distressing because it is simply not true.

...There continue to be far too many incidences of bullying of young people, as well as discrimination and violence against people of all ages, based on their sexual orientation, and I believe there is value in making clear where I stand.

The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn’t be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud.

I have always been very open and honest about this part of my life with my friends, my family, and my colleagues. In a perfect world, I don't think it's anyone else's business, but I do think there is value in standing up and being counted. I’m not an activist, but I am a human being and I don't give that up by being a journalist.

As for why he resisted coming out, Cooper said his privacy and travels to dangerous nations both played a part in his staying in the aforementioned glass closet.

Congratulations to you, Anderson. Maybe now the paparazzi can now get a proper shot of you and your boyfriend together?

Comments

1. The real test is whether or not he discusses his sexuality on any of his shows or continues to hide in plain sight.

Posted by: Dan | Jul 2, 2012 11:47:18 AM

2. Congratulations to Mr. Cooper for coming out on his own terms. I respect him even more for being open and honest about who he is and his reasons for keeping his private life private (and using his real name in the process, unlike some of the trolls here...)

Posted by: Rev. Verdon Coleman | Jul 2, 2012 11:49:00 AM

3. Anderson has covered LGBT issues possibly better than any other journalist. His work, as a journalist, makes me proud.

Posted by: Ty | Jul 2, 2012 11:50:09 AM

4. can't wait for kathy griffin to comment

Posted by: cape tom | Jul 2, 2012 11:53:17 AM

5. I am happy for him and happy that he did it in his own time. Everyone, public or private, should be afforded that opportunity.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Jul 2, 2012 11:53:56 AM

6. Rick, please, you are not one of "us" so please refrain from speaking as if you are. Your glory hole is waiting troll.

Posted by: Kenneth | Jul 2, 2012 11:54:47 AM

7. YAY for him!
    =)

Posted by: George F | Jul 2, 2012 11:57:01 AM

8. Dave,

Your internalized homophobia is leaking out. Anderson Cooper has gained credibility for being honest and open vs. "hiding" in a glass closet. This is 2012 and his credibility is shot when he talks to teens about coming out. It is awkward for many of us who know he is gay (and not totally out) to discuss this very topic with a guest. He isn't scared out of the closet by the gay community; rather, was scared into the closet by rabid Christian Homophobes in the 90's.

Posted by: Kevin | Jul 2, 2012 12:00:08 PM

9. Visibility. That's what's going to bring people around in favour of marriage equality.

Congrats to Mr. Cooper, and I hope he doesn't get too much grief about it.

Posted by: Tanoka | Jul 2, 2012 12:00:41 PM

10. Good for him and the visibility continues to increase in a positive way. Lets ALL pray that Cruise and Travolta stay in their closets.

Posted by: DrJWL | Jul 2, 2012 12:02:29 PM

11. Who cares? Who? Everyone knew Mr. Anderson was gay, he just didn't talk about it, and most people respected his privacy. He wasn't a closeted guy who publicly mocked gays or tried to hurt gays.

I just don't get why some gays [and non-gays] can't just mind their own business.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 2, 2012 12:02:35 PM

12. The world is a homophobic place. Remember him standing in the crowds in Egypt and how he got roughed up. If they would have known he was gay he could have gotten a lot worse. He had every reason to not be public about his orientation and really it is his own business. I only care about people who work against us who are closeted. Then it is an issue.

Posted by: Joey | Jul 2, 2012 12:06:54 PM

13. WOOHOOO! This is awesome!

Posted by: LadyJane | Jul 2, 2012 12:07:36 PM

14. Excellent - with Matt Bomer an out role model and now Anderson, who will the old Queerty and After Elton dregs rag on?

Posted by: Gregg | Jul 2, 2012 12:08:32 PM

15. This actually made me happier than the Preisdents endorsement of gay marriage. LOL. I don't know why, but it just was good to see it finally happe.

Posted by: USC Trojan Fan | Jul 2, 2012 12:08:36 PM

16. Good for him. Now it is time for all of the LGBT people to come out of the closet. We need your help to expose the anti-gay Christian agenda that is killing gays today all over the world. These anti-gay Christians need treatment for their contagion of mental illness that is spreading. Some of these diseases are know as a social phobia known as homophobia and there is all of the attention these anti-gay Christians place on gays known as an obsessive compulsive disorder and they are contagious and can be spread like is happening in Africa and other places. These anti-gay Christians also have other psychiatric disorders as well and are too numerous to list here. The bottom line is they need to see a psychiatrist for treatment urgently before they get worse or spread their mental illness to others.

Posted by: Mike | Jul 2, 2012 12:08:55 PM

17. Good for him. To all LGBT...we are arriving. We haven't fully arrived yet, BUT we can with the contribution of every LGBT accepting who they are and being proud of it.

Posted by: Dynex | Jul 2, 2012 12:09:27 PM

18. There's no feeling more liberating than being who you are...unapologetically being who you are. NOT being afraid if others know. And that brings a sense of fulfilment in us all.

Posted by: Cali Greg | Jul 2, 2012 12:10:29 PM

19. Thanks Anderson!!

Posted by: Rob | Jul 2, 2012 12:10:32 PM

20. Like phoebe would say: This is brand new information!
    hahahhaahah

Posted by: daniel | Jul 2, 2012 12:10:34 PM

21. Good for him!

I can ASSURE you he with this move has inspired, motivated and perhaps saved the life of ATLEAST one gay child out there. THAT in and of itself is worth it.

Posted by: Texarkana | Jul 2, 2012 12:12:39 PM

22. He didn't need to, but wanted to come out. That's the way it shoud go. Good for him, Mr Handsome AC.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jul 2, 2012 12:13:08 PM

23. Right on Kenneth! I can always tell by the second or third sentence if the posting was made by "Rick" and usually just move on to the next post without finishing as the obvious self-loathing is so sad...this year's Pride Parade in St. Pete was a great reminder that everyone should just be who they want to be as long as they cause harm to no one. I really have no idea who the f*ck Rick thinks he is to judge everyone the way he does, but trolls will be trolls. Must be hell to live in a world where you think you are so much better than everyone else and yet can't figure out why you are never invited to any parties.

Posted by: stpetegreg | Jul 2, 2012 12:13:48 PM

24. Many well wishes, happiness, and success to you Anderson. THANK you for officially being part of the LGBT. You represent who we are. Americans thriving and contributing to society. You've been in the homes of millions of Americans...as a gay man. This is great news.

Posted by: MiMi | Jul 2, 2012 12:13:52 PM

25. @ Rick,

High school and middle school kids look up to public figures who are out, and it's great for their self-esteem. By extolling the benefits of staying in the closet, you're embarrassing yourself. Jump in your time machine and set it to the twentieth century.

Posted by: Artie in Lauderdale | Jul 2, 2012 12:14:14 PM