Anderson Cooper | CNN | Gay Media | News

BigGayDeal.com

Anderson Cooper Comes Out: 'The Fact Is, I'm Gay'

AndersonCooperGay

Finally putting to rest all that speculation, journalist Anderson Cooper has officially and publicly come out as a proud gay man.

"The fact is, I'm gay," Cooper wrote in an email to friend Andrew Sullivan after being asked about an Entertainment Weekly article on public figures who remain in the glass closet:

...I have given some the mistaken impression that I am trying to hide something - something that makes me uncomfortable, ashamed or even afraid. This is distressing because it is simply not true.

...There continue to be far too many incidences of bullying of young people, as well as discrimination and violence against people of all ages, based on their sexual orientation, and I believe there is value in making clear where I stand.

The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn’t be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud.

I have always been very open and honest about this part of my life with my friends, my family, and my colleagues. In a perfect world, I don't think it's anyone else's business, but I do think there is value in standing up and being counted. I’m not an activist, but I am a human being and I don't give that up by being a journalist.

As for why he resisted coming out, Cooper said his privacy and travels to dangerous nations both played a part in his staying in the aforementioned glass closet.

Congratulations to you, Anderson. Maybe now the paparazzi can now get a proper shot of you and your boyfriend together?

Comments

1. THIS makes me so happy for him.

And I'm loving all these positive comments.

Posted by: IndieMusicFan | Jul 2, 2012 12:14:36 PM

2. Awwww welcome coopercitooooo.

Posted by: Raul | Jul 2, 2012 12:15:01 PM

3. we were waiting for u.

Posted by: Raul | Jul 2, 2012 12:15:16 PM

4. Can you all stop feeding Rick? and Ratbastard? and Christopher Allen Horton? and Tank?

Can we collectively try ignoring all the above and seeing what a truly positive atmosphere we really have around us when we focus on the GOOD posters as opposed to the destructive ONE.

Posted by: IndieMusicFan | Jul 2, 2012 12:16:30 PM

5. This was always part of his professinal plan, to extricate from reporting in places where being openly gay would have been dangerous or would have precluded him access to certain interviews.

Setting up his talk show and a comfortable niche where he could be a journalist and NOT be the central story, he finally felt safe to come out.

Really proud of him though, everything he's done and going forward, everything he will focus on as an out and proud journalist.

Posted by: Gregoire | Jul 2, 2012 12:17:04 PM

6. An openly gay man headlines a very prominent news program on one of the biggest networks in the world....this is worth a celebration that goes FAR beyond Anderson Cooper.

Posted by: Kevin Johanes | Jul 2, 2012 12:17:55 PM

7. @Rick. Your argument against Anderson coming out is similar to the one Prop 8 supporters used against Judge Walker. Their appeal was thrown out. By your logic, Diane Sawyer couldn't talk about women's issues or Don Lemon couldn't report on African American issues with any credibility.

I've read a lot of your comments, and they seem to be a weird mix of contrarian impulses with, yes, misogyny and homophobia (regardless if you're gay). Seriously, I'm sure the local community college has a class on gender and sexuality near your home. Take it.
    And while you're at it, sign up for Logic 101.... please!

Posted by: Mike | Jul 2, 2012 12:18:16 PM

8. This quote of his is one of the, if not THE most poignant and powerful thing I've ever read by any LGBT individual:

"I’ve also been reminded recently that while as a society we are moving toward greater inclusion and equality for all people, the tide of history only advances when people make themselves fully visible."

Perfectly put!

Posted by: MJ | Jul 2, 2012 12:21:57 PM

9. kinda sad it took so long

Posted by: t | Jul 2, 2012 12:23:37 PM

10. How heart warming to read Anderson; he is a wonderful for the gay community to have and he is rightly proud of his public and private life.
    What he has done by this public declaration is that he has made all the neanderthals more and more irrelevant . And so progress and history march on without them.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jul 2, 2012 12:27:00 PM

11. You did the right thing here, Anderson.

The coming-out email was beautifully composed and aptly expressed.

Now everyone around him, including guests on his show, his CNN colleagues, and Kathy Griffin can breathe a sigh of relief that they don't have to ridiculously, contortedly avoid any reference to this major personal feature as some forbidden, shameful subject.

Watch his recent discussion with David Letterman concerning Kathy Griffin to see how everyone was absurdly muzzled by his not having come out.

This is extremely good for young people.

Cooper is a major, international public figure.

The world is a little bit of a better place today.

Posted by: Kyler | Jul 2, 2012 12:27:13 PM

12. He will have more credibility now when talking about gay issues, not less. While we--and many others--all knew that Anderson was gay, and it seemed clear he was out in his personal life, it was always the elephant in the room when he discusses issues such as the bullying of gay kids. As he puts it in his letter, by not being publicly out, he was--inadvertently--implying there is something shameful about being openly gay. There isn't. (Only the closeted believe so.) And his public coyness about his sexuality sent the wrong message, as he now realizes. Well stated, Mr. Cooper.

For those who suggest he was forced out by some gay mob, Nonsense. Not what his letter says at all. He's a big boy. He made the choice on his terms, for the right reasons.

And his traveling to dangerous regions of the world excuse, while understandable at one point, seems a little dubious when he's spending a good chunk of time doing celebrity fluff (his talk show, Bravo guest spots etc.). If you want to be a celebrity and not just a journalist, be honest, be out.

Posted by: Ernie | Jul 2, 2012 12:32:42 PM

13. Whenever I read Rick's posts, I always picture Ignatiius J. Reilly writing them. It really helps.

Posted by: Marty | Jul 2, 2012 12:34:27 PM

14. come out in an e-mail..really..this is the best you can do..how pathetic..can't even say it out loud that he's gay..makes some people think..u can be gay but be quiet about it...pppplllllssss

Posted by: mike | Jul 2, 2012 12:41:15 PM

15. If Andrew felt it was time to make it official, then it is right. He did it in a tasteful way too, not usaing his gayness for extra fame.

Posted by: Gabe R L | Jul 2, 2012 12:49:36 PM

16. "Whenever I read Rick's posts, I always picture Ignatiius J. Reilly writing them. It really helps."

LOL! And with another high-profile gay person coming out Fortuna has dealt him another downward turn!

Anderson Cooper not being "officially out" has never bothered me that much because there wasn't much else he WASN'T doing for the gay community other than that. He never "bearded" or claimed to be straight. He reported on gay issues and did it well. He never really seemed to censor himself much so far as behavior goes. He promoted issues like the Trevor Project. So what exactly is it that he wasn't doing already?

And to me, more than the danger he might face while covering a story in another country (which he hasn't done in a while), or not wanting to be the story, I could understand why someone with his level of celebrity might not want to open themselves up to the tabloid jackals. Would YOU want the tabloids following you on dates (or worse, hook-ups) and reporting breathlessly on them? I wouldn't. So I half-suspect this announcement may have been motivated by a change in relationship status, that he's "settling down" and a relationship will be made official. Perhaps there's a marriage announcement in the near future too?

Posted by: Caliban | Jul 2, 2012 12:57:57 PM

17. Good for him. Too bad there's so much god crap at the end though.

Posted by: Ken | Jul 2, 2012 12:59:36 PM

18. I'm happy for him, though I do feel he was somewhat pressured into coming out, which is simply appalling. Those of you who think that closeted gay public figures have a "responsibility" to come out, I have news for you: NOBODY owes you anything.

Posted by: ? | Jul 2, 2012 1:03:43 PM

19. Good for you Anderson! Refuse to admit you’re Gay for 20 years on the air to get that money first, THEN come out to everyone. Way to stand up for what you REALLY beleive in…….

Posted by: scott | Jul 2, 2012 1:03:59 PM

20. To Rick that is just not true and very narrow minded by that logic no one is credible for they are either Gay, straight , or somewhere in between and they all have opinions. If Diane Sawyer reports on anything do we assume she is biased just because she is straight?

Posted by: Rev. Joseph Shore-Goss | Jul 2, 2012 1:09:06 PM

21. Ignatius Reilly - well played, MARTY. Well played.

Posted by: TJ | Jul 2, 2012 1:12:26 PM

22. And well played, Mr. Cooper. Had he "come out" 20 years ago, people would be saying, "Anderson who?" Now, they will be saying, "Anderson - wow!" and "Anderson, thank you!"

He may give up some power - speaking out for what appears to be one's own interest (e.g., gay issues) can have people think he has an agenda and is therefore less credible - but the power he now has as a role model for gay kids is huge. As stated above, he has just saved lives.

Posted by: TJ | Jul 2, 2012 1:19:37 PM

23. well met, and his words ring true. invisibility is our enemy.

what a lovely thing to read on this hungover-from-Toronto-Pride afternoon!

and, of course, his words will raise anger and fury in the grown men who still bend over backwards to give excuses to not be Out.

oh well. misery wants company. but you can't get company in your tiny closets. open the doors and join the real world. like Coop, here :-)

Happy Pride my brothers and sisters!

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jul 2, 2012 1:23:34 PM

24. So many in far more unsafe situations. Lady Cooper is beyond protected and cush. Let us set our sights and strength on the less fortunate. Welcome, Andy-- the party is in full swing!

Posted by: Michael | Jul 2, 2012 1:24:57 PM

25. every time another gay man comes out, the grown adults still in the closet pound their heels in fury about being left behind.

you know, boys, you could always join the rest of us. come dance in the sun, for a change :)

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jul 2, 2012 1:26:03 PM