Anderson Cooper | CNN | Gay Media | News

BigGayDeal.com

Anderson Cooper Comes Out: 'The Fact Is, I'm Gay'

AndersonCooperGay

Finally putting to rest all that speculation, journalist Anderson Cooper has officially and publicly come out as a proud gay man.

"The fact is, I'm gay," Cooper wrote in an email to friend Andrew Sullivan after being asked about an Entertainment Weekly article on public figures who remain in the glass closet:

...I have given some the mistaken impression that I am trying to hide something - something that makes me uncomfortable, ashamed or even afraid. This is distressing because it is simply not true.

...There continue to be far too many incidences of bullying of young people, as well as discrimination and violence against people of all ages, based on their sexual orientation, and I believe there is value in making clear where I stand.

The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn’t be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud.

I have always been very open and honest about this part of my life with my friends, my family, and my colleagues. In a perfect world, I don't think it's anyone else's business, but I do think there is value in standing up and being counted. I’m not an activist, but I am a human being and I don't give that up by being a journalist.

As for why he resisted coming out, Cooper said his privacy and travels to dangerous nations both played a part in his staying in the aforementioned glass closet.

Congratulations to you, Anderson. Maybe now the paparazzi can now get a proper shot of you and your boyfriend together?

Comments

1. In other news, General Franco is still dead.

Posted by: Sue Simmons | Jul 2, 2012 1:26:25 PM

2. Oh and I suppose all straight people think their sexual orientation is a "private matter". This letter is a pathetic attempt to justify the damage he caused by being a public figure in the closet and sending the message that being gay is something to be hidden. Anderson Cooper is a shell of a man.

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Jul 2, 2012 11:44:46 AM

________________________________________________________________________

Marcus, you are an ass. Full stop. Does your job take you to parts of the world where you would risk being EXECUTED for being openly gay? If not, shut the hell up.

What a big man you are to accuse him of being an 'empty shell of a man' .. what have YOU done for the gay community, AND the world at large with the charities he's worked with? Hmmm?

And seriously, what DAMAGE has he done by remaining in the closet until now? Name one thing that can be laid at his feet in the way of DAMAGE.

Posted by: theotherlee | Jul 2, 2012 1:27:42 PM

3. And to the whiner above who complained that Anderson came out in an email rather than a public speech: A simple google search on AC reveals over 500 news reports about his coming out. He doesn't have to comment out loud. Everybody knows.

Posted by: TJ | Jul 2, 2012 1:31:02 PM

4. Awesome. Go Anderson!!!

Posted by: Mel Smith | Jul 2, 2012 1:38:15 PM

5. No, Marcus, he will never go out with you. Check those fantasies.

Posted by: boone68 | Jul 2, 2012 1:40:31 PM

6. I think it's stupid to say I didn't come out publicly because as a journalist I need my sphere to be in, and at the same time state that "I do think visibility is important, more important than preserving my reporter’s shield of privacy."
    Wasn't visibility as important 20 years ago? I understand if anyone wants to choose to come out in any given age and period in their life. It's their life and decision. But to give a long explanation about why you didn't come out sooner, and for the explanation to be so superficial... I never understand people who come out publicly with an "explanation" (in most cases a paradoxical one like this) for all the years they were [technically] in the closet.

Posted by: Farbud | Jul 2, 2012 1:44:08 PM

7. I passed by him a few months ago in Chelsea, and was devastated that he totally didn't cruise me.

Posted by: Jim Shape | Jul 2, 2012 1:49:43 PM

8. If Anderson's comments are since, and they appear to be, you have to respect his reasoning and point of view. I give him credit for his thoughtful analysis of the issue(s) and for his very personal decision. There is nothing so unhealthy as feeling as if you can not live authentically-- I hope this finally brings him some measure of "peace," though, I am sure, as he says--there will be some collateral effects as well, perhaps not all of them positive.

Posted by: JeffB | Jul 2, 2012 1:51:48 PM

9. Farbud,

Anderson has reported in at least four of the five countries that *officially* execute homosexual.

Do you not think it not only a *good* idea, but a SMART idea to remain publicly closeted? As has been stated... for years. Anderson lived in a "glass closet" meaning he never denied being gay. Worked for gay rights, reporting and bringing attention to gay bullying, supporting the Trevor project, etc., etc.

Its not paradoxical at all.

Posted by: theotherlee | Jul 2, 2012 1:57:07 PM

10. This is really starting to prove that there is a generation gap between the baby boomers and those younger, or just about anyone younger than Tom Cruise, about coming out.

Posted by: anon | Jul 2, 2012 2:00:39 PM

11. @INDIEMUSICFAN,

Grow up.

@Little Canadian,

Grow up.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 2, 2012 2:11:58 PM

12. I think Nick Denton, of all people, put it best when he said about Cooper's announcement that "the calculus has changed – it is now more embarrassing to stay in the closet than it is to come out."

Posted by: rascal | Jul 2, 2012 2:16:33 PM

13. There are plenty of youthful in-the-closet on on the DL gay and bi men and woman. If I was a betting man, the majority of gay and bi people are in-the-closet or not exactly 'out'. I'm 35 and 'out', but am probably a minority for being so. At the same time I'm not obnoxiously, in-your-face out professional 24/7 LGBT self-described 'advocate'. There are a handful of people who post on here who get off attempting to bully others into being there kind of gay and if you aren't there kind of gay, they call you names. Other minorities have the same problem in their ranks.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 2, 2012 2:17:52 PM

14. CORRECTION:

'there' kind if gay... should read 'their'.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 2, 2012 2:19:27 PM

15. @ Rick, can we say self loathing much?

Posted by: Jack | Jul 2, 2012 2:26:40 PM

16. Oh, come on. His dedication to his journalistic career has nothing to do with his staying in the closet for the last ten years. Sure, once upon a time, many many moons ago, Anderson Cooper was an intrepid, some said foolish, reporter putting himself very much in harm's way to tell stories no one else would cover (well, no one so pretty). He really was a REAL journalist. But the idea that he goes anywhere today under circumstances that put him in that same sort of danger with no backup is just absurd. Sure, he might be a target because he's America's most prominent reporter these days, but to suggest that being out would make it worse is just silly.

Posted by: BobN | Jul 2, 2012 2:38:23 PM

17. http://fablog.ehrensteinland.com/2012/07/02/this-just-in-water-is-wet/

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jul 2, 2012 2:43:53 PM

18. As if this was a secret? His best gal pal is Kathy Griffin. I am GLAD that he proudly told the world. Now, it is Ryan's turn. LOL

Posted by: M. Scott Hernandez | Jul 2, 2012 3:01:43 PM

19. Anderson, I hadn't even really thought about the fact that you travel to countries we're being openly gay is a deaths sentence. It makes more sense now. Thanks for electing to be more open and vocal about your homosexuality, it will only help our community.

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Jul 2, 2012 3:02:48 PM

20. btw, until the "complainers' and "whiners" on here can come out to the same degree as Coop - that is, putting it Out there for potential millions to know (youtube, blog, your own webpage, etc) they have no solid argument.

the man is now out to millions, who will know for sure that he's gay. are you capable of doing the same thing? if not, hold your complaining until you can. :)

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jul 2, 2012 3:06:12 PM

21. Ratbastard, you talk like the kind of softly-retarded teenager that tries to convince everyone that they're proud of having never left their small hometown while everyone else from their graduating class did. At some point do you trolls just get depressed knowing that everyone knows you're full of crap?

Posted by: SteveInSC | Jul 2, 2012 3:13:02 PM

22. He's a CNN Hero to me! Very proud of you! Thank you!

Posted by: Jeff R. | Jul 2, 2012 3:28:55 PM

23. I never thought Anderson would make the announcement, but it's one of the best statements I've read and confirms what I've always believed about why he stayed silent for so long. Sounds like he's very happy and comfortable with who he is and that's good to know.

Posted by: Zee | Jul 2, 2012 3:42:01 PM

24. He waited too long, but there may still be a market for old gray haired homosexuals. I hope you can enjoy your life. The best way is to try and avoid these equality hens on here. Equality? They'll never be Vanderbilts.

Posted by: Jay | Jul 2, 2012 3:57:19 PM

25. It's ot too late Ratbastard. You can still go back "in."

Do so -- and take "Rick" with you.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jul 2, 2012 4:13:20 PM