Anderson Cooper | Gay Marriage | News

Anderson Cooper Planning Labor Day Wedding, Says Tabloid

Cooperwedding

Now that he's done and come out, the tabloids are claiming CNN host Anderson Cooper is preparing to propose to his boyfriend.

From The Daily Mail:

Anderson Cooper is reportedly preparing to marry his long-term boyfriend -- and the nuptials could take place as soon as Labor Day.

...

Cooper, 45, is now planning to marry his boyfriend Ben Maisani, whom he has been dating since at least 2009, in New York City later this year, the National Enquirer reported.

'He'd been considering breaking the news [about being gay] since same-sex marriage became legal in the state of New York last summer,' a source told the Enquirer.

There are few other details about this rumor, other than that most of us probably won't be invited.

Comments

1. Good for him, though it sort of stinks that he was only willing to come out once he could get something out of it, rather than to use his visibility to help the community...

Posted by: Mike8787 | Jul 11, 2012 1:48:24 PM

2. I don't need to be invited to the wedding to wish them both all the very best!

Posted by: Fred | Jul 11, 2012 1:48:30 PM

3. That jerk! My partner and I are getting married in NYC on Labor Day weekend and he's totally gonna steal our thunder. ;-)

Posted by: Morgan | Jul 11, 2012 2:00:42 PM

4. Rumor or not, if they are in love with each other and seek a life together they should marry. Gloria isn't getting any younger and Anderson and Ben could do what many same-sex couples have done, have children through surrogacy. That would certainly ensure the Vanderbilt bloodline continues and I know we'd all like to see some cute little "Coops" running around. If they do wed, I would love to see a nice big beautiful wedding. What could we nickname them? Banderson? Love Ben's last name - Maisani. French I believe. His first name is Antoine and according to Gawker speaks with a slight French accent. Immigrated to the US in 1995.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Jul 11, 2012 2:01:03 PM

5. If the Scissor Sisters don't play at the reception, I'm not going.

Posted by: mikeflower | Jul 11, 2012 2:01:15 PM

6. I knew it! And he's gonna get married after the "coming out"!

Posted by: InAfterglow | Jul 11, 2012 2:03:22 PM

7. @Mike8787..."get something out of it"? Don't you think the cat would be out of the bag anyways when he eventually did get married? You don't think the secret would be out? So, he came out now as opposed to everyone making a big deal about it when he walked down the aisle. As far as him using his visibility to help the community, who says his coming out now hasn't already done that? Don't you think that telling people now that yes, he is gay and having a wedding down the road doesn't make him visible? By the way, he doesn't owe you or the community anything. With people like you he is damed if does, damned if he doesn't.

Posted by: WHAT? | Jul 11, 2012 2:07:31 PM

8. His given name is Antoine (that's how I was introduced to him, in fact, when I first met him maybe 10 years ago), and he does have a (quite sexy) French accent.

Posted by: Dan E | Jul 11, 2012 2:08:47 PM

9. @Mike8787: if he went and got married and hadn't come out you would have bitched about that too. So he comes out now before he gets married and you fault him for that?!

Posted by: WHAT? | Jul 11, 2012 2:14:47 PM

10. I fault him for timing his coming out after marriage equality passed in NY, and (from the article) purposely waiting until then to do so. He's not damned if he does, damned if he doesn't, but I think it stinks that he waited to have his big public coming out to reap the spoils, so to speak, after the battle was fought.

Posted by: Mike8787 | Jul 11, 2012 2:16:16 PM

11. A straight woman friend of mine, who was astonished at Mr. Cooper's disclosure, asked me what I thought was really "going on."

My immediate response was: "He's planning to get married and needed to get the 'I'm gay, just as you all suspected' out of the way before the wedding." I just love being right!

Posted by: jpeckjr | Jul 11, 2012 2:29:16 PM

12. Wouldn't saying that he's going to propose kinda spoil the surprise? And he made wedding plans before proposing?? Sounds like a source check is in order.

Posted by: anon | Jul 11, 2012 2:32:17 PM

13. Ummm...he came out a year after marriage became legal in NY. He hardly timed it to coincide.

"and (from the article) purposely waiting until then to do so". Ok, you know you are taking the word of a TABLOID on this? How do you even know what his REAL motivation was?

Plus, it was hardly a "big coming out". His family, friends and co-workers already knew (and it's not like he totally hid it from the public). Are you upset that you were the last to know? You act like that one friend who gets mad when they find out a friend was gay and says "you weren't honest with me all this time", as if to make it all about them. Get over it. It is his life and up to HIM to decide when everyone should know. Just like the thousands of other gay people before him who decide when the time is right, it's just that they aren't famous and have whiners who judge every move he makes.

I just think no matter what he does you are still going to complain.

Posted by: WHAT? | Jul 11, 2012 2:34:04 PM

14. Has somebody put Michael K from Dlisted on suicide watch?

Posted by: qj201 | Jul 11, 2012 2:37:45 PM

15. @Mike8787: btw, what spoils is he reaping?

Posted by: WHAT? | Jul 11, 2012 2:42:06 PM

16. Dude, you are completely off-base. The point is that he came out *publicly* and got a lot of praise for it. My point is that he shouldn't be getting accolades for being a role model or anything if the only reason he came out was to take advantage of his newfound ability to get married -- something he could've helped pass, but elected to stay silent about.

As I said in my first post: Good for him for getting married. I wish them luck. However, he's no hero to me for coming out when it was safe and purely to get something for himself that others fought for.

Posted by: Mike8787 | Jul 11, 2012 2:42:12 PM

17. It'd be cute to watch both of them throw the bouquet.

Posted by: S. | Jul 11, 2012 2:42:17 PM

18. The tabloid said:
    "They were encouraged to marry last year by Anderson's mother, designer Gloria Vanderbilt"
    Probably "not encouraged to" but "pressured to".
    That kind of thing happens in royal families.

Posted by: simon | Jul 11, 2012 2:48:51 PM

19. Ben is hot as hell! Good for you, Cooper!

Posted by: Ron | Jul 11, 2012 2:51:17 PM

20. Get a prenup.

Posted by: Diogenes | Jul 11, 2012 2:51:44 PM

21. Yep. Assuming this is true, all I have to say is "TOLJA SO!" (Complete with Told You So dance.) When his coming out was reported I posted that I bet it was because he was settling down.

It's so nice being right.

Posted by: Caliban | Jul 11, 2012 2:57:16 PM

22. @Mike8787: My point is he came out. People like you have been demanding he do it for years like it is his personal resposibility to you (it is his life and when he was ready to do it was his choice and not up to you). He then does it, yet you are still faulting him and saying he did it for another reason, that reason is something you read in an article in a TABLOID! Really?

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. He owes us nothing and I don't understand why people think he does?

Posted by: WHAT? | Jul 11, 2012 3:03:37 PM

23. Daily Mail (homophobic sensationalists) quoting National Enquirer (biggest tabloid EVER). This really couldn't be more of a fictional story! If they do get married, it would be a pure coincidence! Having said that, I hope they do and I wish them all the best.

Posted by: Tim | Jul 11, 2012 3:06:38 PM

24. Well they both look great un tuxes.

And they both look great stark naked.

Nice if it happens, but it's all up to them. They've been a couple for several years now.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jul 11, 2012 3:12:37 PM

25. QJ201-LOL /poor Michael K sez "...MY BOOOOO .... / say it ant sooooo...."cant wait till he updates Dlisted with some a his bon monts

Posted by: slippy | Jul 11, 2012 3:19:53 PM