David Bowie | Music | News

Book Claims Mick Jagger And David Bowie Were Lovers Many, Many Years Ago

JaggerBowie

Author Chris Andersen's new book Mick: The Wild Life and Mad Genius of Jagger offers readers tidbits from the Rolling Stone legend's life, including a time in the early 1970s when he and fellow singer allegedly David Bowie allegedly had a long-term affair.

In what appears to be a collection of memories, old lovers and friends recall a brief period when Jagger and Bowie regularly and openly slept together. One former colleague, backup singer Ava Cherry, told Andersen that the men were "sexually obsessed with each other" and then there's the time Bowie's former wife Angie walked in on them naked in bed, sleeping.

But it also seems that the relationship was more than just sex: the men reportedly had a mutual respect and admiration. Cherry told Andersen the men were emotionally intertwined and "practically lived together for several months." Several months many, many years ago, even before the biggest clue that Mick Jagger and David Bowie had a fling: the 1985 video for their rendition of "Dancing in the Streets."

See what I mean, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. Kind of puts a new spin on "Moves Like Jagger."

Posted by: Fodolodo | Jul 9, 2012 9:11:43 PM

2. They must be SO embarrased by this!

Posted by: Randy | Jul 9, 2012 9:23:23 PM

3. I thought this was common knowledge if not already confirmed. The movie "Velvet Goldmine" was clearly based a but on this relationship and the one Bowie had with Iggy Pop.

Posted by: Graphicjack | Jul 9, 2012 9:31:41 PM

4. I wonder which ego was the top and which ego was the bottom.

Posted by: Markt | Jul 9, 2012 9:58:43 PM

5. I actually just finished reading a pretty fantastic Bowie biography by Paul Trynka called "Starman" that addresses -- and puts the kibosh on -- this rumor. It also calls into question Angie's claim, as the book demonstrates a history of Angie making untrue and disparaging claims about Bowie after their relationship began falling apart.
    I'm not saying that just because one book said it wasn't true that that's the end of that story, its just that there's another version of the facts out there that contradicts this one.

Posted by: Bayjo | Jul 9, 2012 10:12:59 PM

6. What fun.

Posted by: Barney | Jul 9, 2012 10:16:16 PM

7. Does anyone really care?

Posted by: Jay | Jul 9, 2012 10:16:27 PM

8. This isn't big news. The story I heard 30 years ago was that Mick's wife at the time caught them heading up to the bedroom.

People have to be reminded that in the early 70s, before Anita Bryant, was a time when it was acceptable for men to experiment with homosexuality. They could cross the line and cross back and it was OK.

An example of this (call it supporting documentation) can be found in the book "Whatever Happened to the Class of 65."

Posted by: The Polar Beast | Jul 9, 2012 10:18:26 PM

9. Really, who cares?

Posted by: westcoast88 | Jul 9, 2012 10:31:26 PM

10. Wonder if there's any dirt on David Bowie and Bing Crosby. If so, who played the little drummer boy???

Posted by: FrankLeeMyDear | Jul 9, 2012 11:03:21 PM

11. "In a 1983 interview with Rolling Stone, Bowie said his public declaration of bisexuality was "the biggest mistake I ever made" and "I was always a closet heterosexual"."

Posted by: MarkUs | Jul 9, 2012 11:09:14 PM

12. Yo, "Frankleemydear", that was great! ROTFL!

Posted by: Bill | Jul 9, 2012 11:12:59 PM

13. I remember watching the Joan Rivers show on May 4th 1990 (I remember this because it was my boyfriends birthday and I was 17) She interviewed Angie Bowie who claimed she walked in on David and Mick and that she had some legal gag order for 10 years not to talk about it. I was so turned on by this story that ever since I bought everything I could that had to do with David Bowie. I still to this day would do anything for a chance meeting with David Bowie. And know every single song, cameo or feature he has done with film, music, and videos. I also remember an interview later with Micks ex wife Jerry Hall who has always denied this rumor to be true and said Angie was just trying grab on the curtails of everyone elses fame... also i think a few years later she was interviewed (can't remember what show) and claimed that that she was just walking in to 2 naked men sleeping next to each other and that there wasn't really a relationship between the 2 of them at all, just friendship. I also remember Mick being asked this question in an interview for a magazine (rolling stone maybe?)about wether or not it was true if Angie walked in on them. He said something like it was "complete rubbish." The story of Ava Cherry walking in on them I never heard, BUT I do know she was a great back up singer for Bowie, and did live with them for a short time. I remember Bowie coming out as bisexual in Rolling Stone magazine in the late 90's but the question of him and Mick never came up.I think what is happening here is that someone else in these rock stars pasts wants to cash in on an old rumor that has been debunked already.Shame on them. But if I'm wrong and this story of them having a sexual affair together are true then HOT DAMN! How amazing! I have always wished this to be true... Oh if only...

Posted by: Ken/ Chicago | Jul 9, 2012 11:13:43 PM

14. dsquared2 online shop trainers on sale must be present mainly intended for industry ultimately for special events authorized plus family members.

Posted by: dsquared shoes | Jul 9, 2012 11:14:18 PM

15. ahhh.... Youth !!! This is old news though. I remember hearing about Angela Bowie walking in on them ... then filed for divorce way back in the late 70's

Posted by: MarkBoston | Jul 9, 2012 11:39:21 PM

16. Yes, not exactly news because everyone heard this story 30 years ago. Angela Bowie is more than a bit nuts, though quite sweet. But she still goes by Bowie almost 40 years after their divorce, so she clearly has aspirations of grandeur.

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 9, 2012 11:49:15 PM

17. Real quick I'd like to make a correction of my statement in my post about David Bowies bisexuality in the 90's I believe Markus is correct because I read that story too. But I did not read all of these stories until the late 90's and had a friend with a Rolling Stone magazine collection of 20 years that I would spend days reading.

Posted by: Ken/ Chicago | Jul 9, 2012 11:50:18 PM

18. How many times can this old news be brought out again and presented to the public as new news ? This is OLD.

I have absolutely NO respect for David Bowie. He pretended to be bisexual just to create attention for himself and he used it for self promotion. Then, when he was famous he said he was not bisexual any more. This is the type of stupidity that damages our community. This is what makes people think we CHOOSE to be gay. He has damaged our community with his selfishness.

Then I hear he is a big supporter of the new, right wing government in the UK which is not gay friendly and has introduced steps to take away healthcare, jobs, welfare benefits, pensions, halve some people's wages and also tripled tuition fees.

David Bowie has been famous and rich for too long. He's out of touch with reality. He's obviously only concerned about not paying any tax.

Posted by: Icebloo | Jul 9, 2012 11:53:35 PM

19. That is so old news.

Posted by: Aaron | Jul 10, 2012 12:02:57 AM

20. They are bisexual like a lot of people are today.

Posted by: Mike | Jul 10, 2012 12:50:41 AM

21. @Iceblood.
    Bowie has lived in NYC with Iman since the nineties, and when offered knighthood, he declined; I doubt he's been very close to any English government.

As for him playing around with gender and sexuality in the seventies, it hurt no one, looked cool... and was a lot of fun.

Posted by: Mike | Jul 10, 2012 2:10:35 AM

22. @Mike Just because Bowie has lived in NYC it doesn't mean he doesn't have houses/financial interests back in the UK. You are very naive. These people have homes & investments everywhere.

He has no morals. He's all about money. This is the same person who sold shares in himself on the stock market.

Posted by: Icebloo | Jul 10, 2012 3:01:43 AM

23. so?

Posted by: Red Assault | Jul 10, 2012 3:05:55 AM

24. Just shocking!

Posted by: andrew | Jul 10, 2012 3:12:46 AM

25. @Iceblood: cite any sources regarding his political affiliations?

Posted by: Mike | Jul 10, 2012 3:25:39 AM