Boy George | Music | Music Video | News

Boy George Covers Lana Del Rey's 'Video Games': WATCH

Videogames

Boy George has covered Lana Del Rey's "Video Games" and with it comes this video featuring "the gorgeous Angel Rose and the equally gorgeous Cesar Polini, a story of young love in bleak Britain."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Jeezus that man is gorgeous

Posted by: Carlos | Jul 23, 2012 10:43:00 PM

2. Boy George's got soul, brothers and sisters. Y'all listen up.
    Word.

Posted by: ACTUPPIERTHANTHOU | Jul 23, 2012 11:41:23 PM

3. Very nice cover, in fact, i think it improves on the original. The rasp now evident in Georges voice humanizes it for me; it's not so otherworldly silky smooth as it one was. That improves it IMO. George is a great vocal stylist, I hope the fuckups of his past are done for good and he's able to focus on gifting us with more like this.

Posted by: ian | Jul 23, 2012 11:46:35 PM

4. Eeew god since when was Boy George a country music singer???

Posted by: Toto | Jul 24, 2012 12:09:45 AM

5. What a great voice Boy George has.

Posted by: Thomas | Jul 24, 2012 12:32:25 AM

6. Boy George is a mess but he's a great singer.

Posted by: Icebloo | Jul 24, 2012 1:40:32 AM

7. ...boring video though.

Posted by: Icebloo | Jul 24, 2012 1:41:53 AM

8. Can't stand the song, but I could listen to Boy George sing it all day.

Posted by: Randy | Jul 24, 2012 2:00:21 AM

9. So nice to have something not overly produced and glossy. Really sweet and touching video and mature George's voice never sounded better.

Posted by: Toro Castano | Jul 24, 2012 2:20:48 AM

10. Wow, I'm missing something it seems. I like his voice generally, but it sounds strained and worn out on this cover. Not liking at all.

Posted by: Tim | Jul 24, 2012 3:22:10 AM

11. I don't *mean* to whine but why are the main daily pages broken, you can't use arrow up or arrow down or page up or down with them, like you can with the individual daily entries (and every other website page on the web.) Pain in the butt-in-ski.

Posted by: Randal Oulton | Jul 24, 2012 3:32:49 AM

12. And why is everything in flash that blows up? Welcome to 2012? HTML 5????

Posted by: Randal Oulton | Jul 24, 2012 3:35:58 AM

13. This is incredibly good

Posted by: http://samedayessay.com/dissertation | Jul 24, 2012 4:24:28 AM

14. It's a cool video. The unfortunate thing is that a cover from someone like Boy George has a way of legitimating this talentless trust-fund princess who wants to be a pop star. For better or for worse, the NYC talent machine can process, prep and deliver the ultra-deserving (Nellie McKay) the semi-deserving (Lady Gaga) and the not-at-all deserving ("Lana del Rey" - because her real name is way too wasp-ish sounding) Her SNL debacle was better than Ashlee Simpson's lip-synch "gaffe and jig".

Posted by: St. Theresa of Avila | Jul 24, 2012 5:25:23 AM

15. His delivery seemed pretty flat, like he missed the dark mood that permeates the tone of the song. Maybe I just don't get his interpretation, though :\

Posted by: Ben E | Jul 24, 2012 8:09:05 AM

16. Before hearing George's version, the song was mildly interesting. When a real singer like George takes it on, it has a whole new meaning. It's beautiful, haunting, lovely...and its a quantum leap over Lana Del Ray. If I were Lana, I'd hang up my microphone after hearing that.

p.s. Completely agree with St. Theresa of Avila. Nellie McKay is truly deserving and an incredible unsung talent deserving of so much more.

(oops pardon the pun).

Posted by: Ashlandian | Jul 24, 2012 10:10:53 AM

17. it's gorgeous, he brings a johnny cash like quality to it, much more emotion and longing behind it than the original.

Posted by: rigo | Jul 24, 2012 12:35:47 PM

18. So very happy it's out now. I've been listening to the teaser on Soundcloud for months. And the little country lilt in BG's voice is rather lovely.

Posted by: scudpipe | Jul 24, 2012 6:01:29 PM

19. I have to agree with tall the positive comments. I don't like Lana Del Rey and her version does nothing for me. But Boy George's cover is really beautiful, and though his voice has matured it has never sounded more authentic. I'm (still) a fan.

Posted by: Joe De Hoyos | Jul 25, 2012 11:22:57 AM

20. I think it's pleasant enough, but I don't see the work of genius other people are raving about. George's voice sounds okay to me, but the song itself isn't that different from the original. So I don't see how you can say his version is so much better than hers. They are both very similiar.

Posted by: Tommy | Jul 27, 2012 3:25:45 PM

21. Hi everyone This is Angel Rose! - the girl from Boy George's Video Games

Please check out my website www.iloveangelrose.com for more videos starring yours truly...

Posted by: Angel Rose | Jul 28, 2012 11:54:50 AM

22. I really like your blog, like this one, very rendering power, fuel! I will always support you!

Posted by: alices | Sep 20, 2012 9:00:23 PM

23. Lana has an awesome voice. She is really astonishing!:)

Posted by: monohydrate | Dec 2, 2012 12:47:33 PM

24. I’ll just say this is a really good article. I’ve enjoyed reading it and pondering the many points you make.

Posted by: Justin | Aug 13, 2013 10:21:32 AM