Charlie Rogers | Crime | Lincoln, NE | Nebraska | News

Nebraska Woman Who Had 'Dyke' Carved Into Her Stomach in Home Invasion Speaks Out: VIDEO

Rogers

Last Sunday, three men broke into Charlie Rogers' home and attacked her, binding her with zip ties before carving the word "dyke" into her stomach and painting anti-gay phrases on her wall. They then poured gasoline on her floor and attempted to light her house on fire.

WefoundudykeAccording to a friend, Rogers reportedly "crawled from her house, naked and bleeding and screaming for help before reaching the doorstep" of a neighbor's home.

Now Roger has decided to come forward in an interview with KETV about the incident because people are doubting her story.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Says Rogers, a former basketball player at the University of Nebraska, avid volunteer and small business owner: "My world has been changed forever...For people to think this doesn't happen here, it does. It did."

Rogers says that to have her integrity questioned feels "victimizing again, saddening."

"The idea that people think it's a lie is so hurtful. It's understandable. Intellectually I understand that people have a hard time wrapping their heads around what happened. So do I. But I'm a person, with feelings, with concerns. It's just so...it feels like a punch in the stomach. Like a betrayal, instead of the focus being on safety, healing...I'm not a pawn in a game. I'm a person."

CNN adds:

Rogers said she had tried to keep her identity secret after the incident. But she decided to go public Thursday because there have been allegations that the attack did not happen.

"For people to think this doesn't happen here, it does. It did," Rogers told the affiliate.

Rogers' attorney, Megan Mikolajczyk, told CNN Rogers wanted to make it clear it was not "a hoax." Asked if there was anyone specific they were addressing, Mikolajczyk said there was not, but that she wasn't surprised there were naysayers.

"I don't think it's safe or necessary to point the finger at any one individual," Mikolajczyk said. "I think its par for the course for any sort of high profile incident for people to question what happened."

The incident has been classified as a hate crime.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. What an incredible woman. I just want to wrap her in a blanket and hold her.

Posted by: Marco P | Jul 27, 2012 12:40:22 PM

2. The Republicunts, NOMsies, and Trolls on this site are Amazing... disgusting.

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Jul 27, 2012 1:28:52 PM

3. Do the local police believe her story?

Posted by: andrew | Jul 27, 2012 3:10:29 PM

4. I wish I was there for Charlie When those cowards came into her house.
    Charlie please contact me through facebook.
    Gift

Posted by: Gift | Jul 27, 2012 3:33:46 PM

5. Million dollar donations from "Amazon" can't fix this. They enable this. Sorry she had to endure, Real world.

Posted by: Jay | Jul 27, 2012 3:44:51 PM

6. This is so sad and I am so sorry that people are so mean and brutal that they can do something so unthinkable. I hope the SOBs that did this get what is coming to them and God bless you Charlie Rogers. May you heal and find happiness.

As for the people who would even assume the Work Hoax, they are either in shock, because this is so inhumane. Or they are screwed up and void of a heart.

Posted by: Song | Jul 27, 2012 3:47:40 PM

7. @ Ray - Not saying that this was or wasn't staged, just saying it is wise to remember that Susan Smith cried convincingly on TV for weeks before it turned out she killed her own kids and not the mysterious "black man".

Posted by: Hmmmmm... | Jul 27, 2012 4:01:32 PM

8. No respect for you arm-chair blowhards who think this is fake.

In the unlikely event that this was faked, the police will figure it out.

Your willfully ignorant incredulity in situations like these is how people who do this kind of violence continue to get away with it.

Posted by: jexer | Jul 27, 2012 5:06:23 PM

9. anyone who is saying this is fake probably hasn't watched the video. i dont see from the way she speaks of her attack how this could be fake. What an awful thing to happen!

Posted by: reality | Jul 27, 2012 6:15:22 PM

10. @ Jexer - I'm just saying that a TV interview (particularly one as edited as the one linked) should not be enough to sway opinion one way or another in this particular instance, the evidence should. Lets hope that the police are able to settle this matter & that justice is served regardless of the outcome. Jumping to judgement before all of the facts are out makes you just as much an "arm-chair blowhard" as those claiming this to be a hoax. Furthermore, blaming a skeptic (which is a reasonable position when all the facts are not in) for the violence of others is no more logical that blaming the victim for the attack. One should have compasion and empathy, but one would be wise to remain somewhat skeptical when all the facts are not known.

Posted by: Hmmmmm... | Jul 27, 2012 7:17:26 PM

11. What the hell is wrong with humanity? Hatred and discrimination is primative thinking in todays society. I don't question this strong woman's story nor the fear she lives in now. Sad, very sad and pathetic this is-that three peoples ignorance and unhappiness within their own lives touched a life of someone beautiful. Stay strong and proud Charlie, people out in the world support you!

Posted by: Hope in America | Jul 27, 2012 7:30:10 PM

12. Google Alexandra Pennell, full blown hoax in connecticut last month, 25 charges, 8 felonies of false reporting. Google Hate Crime Hoax and see the rash of hoaxes by women, it's like a whole crime category.
    Google Larry Brinkin to see a terrible story being ignored by the media

Posted by: agone26097 | Jul 27, 2012 8:34:19 PM

13. Wow. It takes a really horrible person to comment about how a victim of a violent crime looks and to question their honesty. I feel sorry for people like you. To be such terrible people must be difficult. You people make me sick.

Posted by: Deirdre | Jul 27, 2012 9:17:14 PM

14. Wow! I dont recall reading any comments here about anyone's appearence. Thank god the police questioned the honesty of Alexandra Pennell, Susan Smith & Tawana Bawley, otherwise the "crimes" may never have been solved. You people that claim anyone who is skeptical must be a terrible persom makes me sick. I'm certainly not saying that the events didn't occur just as she claimed, but skeptacism, particularly given what little information that has been presented about this event, is not unreasonable. Sorry. I'm sketpical about jeebus, chi & homeopathy too. Must be difficult to be so self righteous. You people make me sick.

Posted by: Hmmmmm... | Jul 27, 2012 9:36:44 PM

15. Chuck,

Love you and praying for comfort for you. I am so sorry you had to endure this traumatic event. I admire your courage to speak out, and I pray for you to be strong like you have always been. These are sick people, and they will be judged in gods time. If you need anything someone to listen, talk to, a friend for lunch, you can contact me through my sister.

Jeffrey K

Posted by: Jeffrey K | Jul 28, 2012 7:34:37 PM

16. Something doesn't ring true. In my experience men usually like gay women and aren't threatened by them......three masked assailants, torture and mutilate her, scrawl notes on the wall as a calling card then douse with gasoline and try to kill her with no motive but anonymous hate? but can't light the match? Now there are no suspects in this
    Iittle pudunk town? Sorry this smacks of bs and the more I listen to her the more unbelievable the whole thing sounds, sorry that makes me a villain. Crying wolf too often.

Posted by: agone26097 | Jul 28, 2012 10:42:09 PM

17. She made it up.

Posted by: Anonymous Coward | Aug 21, 2012 4:07:30 PM

18. This was analyzed last month as fake:

It was not a difficult case.

Posted by: Peter Hyatt | Aug 21, 2012 5:32:37 PM

19. Fake Fake Fake Fake Fake Eat crow mindless believers!

Posted by: Realist | Aug 22, 2012 1:25:29 AM