Chris Brown | Frank Ocean | Music

BigGayDeal.com

Chris Brown On Frank Ocean's Homosexuality

ChrisBrownR&B singer Chris Brown, who has been in desperate image-fixing mode since brutalizing his ex-girlfriend Rihanna, probably put his foot in it last night while he departing a club called Gotha in Cannes, when he was asked by a reporter for his feelings on Frank Ocean, the singer/rapper who came out early this month. Said Brown: "Man, no homo!"

There is a non-offensive use for the phrase "no homo" -- when two young heterosexual men who don't quite know each other are sharing a bit of fraternal affection and don't wish to give each other the wrong idea -- but it's a good bet that Brown didn't mean to be inoffensive. As PRLog points out:

Brown has had run-ins with Ocean before, in 2011 the two exchange hate tweets that eventually erupted into Brown sending family members to attack Frank Ocean.

Plus, Brown's publicly paraded his homophobia before -- at a pickup basketball game, for instance, in which he berated his teammates, all strangers, by calling them "gay" and responding to missed shots with cries of "faggot."

Comments

1. I work in the music industry, and with hip hop artists and their reps. The real truth is.... No, there isn't a non offensive way of using no homo. The whole POINT of that term is to be agressive and offensive. Anyone who knows street slang would tell you that.
    There is a semi 'movement' to retire the word. I don't hear it used AS much, but don't kid yourself into believing it's not meant to be insulting. Let's keep it real now

Posted by: Real Talk | Jul 28, 2012 8:22:12 PM

2. I asked all my friends who listen to hip hop it no-homo is meant in a non offensive way and they all said "no, its meant to offend and get the point across that the person is NOT about gay people and not into it"

Who the hell is writing for Towleroad? NOM?

Posted by: Long Beach Fan | Jul 28, 2012 8:24:23 PM

3. You can't just dictate to a group of people whom a phrase it directed to that it's not offensive to them. Clearly, for many gays, many in fact do find the term no homo ridiculous and offensive.

It reminds me once when a roomate used the word JAP in front of a jewish girl friend. For many jewish women, thats an incredibly hurtful term. He didn't get it until she told him how its in the person who that word is effecting who gets to decide if its hurtful or not. The person saying it and whom the word does not apply to isn't qualified to make that call.

Posted by: ColSireh | Jul 28, 2012 8:28:04 PM

4. Why couldn't it have been Chris Brown that was shot by George Zimmerman instead of Trayvon?

Then Zimmerman would actually be "The Real American Hero" that the crazy racists think he is.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Jul 28, 2012 8:32:12 PM

5. I'm so sick of being told if I don't accept homophobia or homohobic slang, I'm not 'trendy' or I must be old. 26 is NOT old. And I know plenty about trends, but just because some of us have a back bone and don't settle for homophobic slang... Does not mean we're not cool enough. I pity the fool who wants to 'fit in' so bad, he's willing to be the butt of a joke and use lame @$$ terms like 'no homo'
    Smh. That's some pathetic weak ishh right there

Posted by: Kevin Mendoza | Jul 28, 2012 8:33:46 PM

6. The people who excuse terms like no homo remind me of that clown Antoine Dodson. Eatin his Chik Fil A and saying 'as long as I got mine, I dont give two craps about you'

Way to stick it to homophobia. But you don't care. So long as your soon as popular amongst your friends, why correct words that undermine the entire gay community. Just keep being the Mammy character you do so well

Posted by: Ria | Jul 28, 2012 8:36:21 PM

7. You said: There is a non-offensive use for the phrase "no homo" -- when two young heterosexual men who don't quite know each other are sharing a bit of fraternal affection and don't wish to give each other the wrong idea

Except that these two young heterosexual men don't quite know each other. So they don't know they are both heterosexual. So one is saying "no homo" to someone who may very well be homo, and this phrase might shove him into the closet. It's offensive.

Posted by: Randy | Jul 28, 2012 8:38:27 PM

8. I'm black, lived in "the hood" pretty much my whole life and WTF with this bull that no homo aint meant to be offensive?! Try telling that to a gay black child who has that yelled at him every day when leavin the market, followed by other words. The bullll sht that pisses me off is nobody wanna change the homophobia in street culture. And guess who is hurt most by it? Young black gays. Not rich asian, whites or anyone else, but those of us who live it and we got gay people now excusing filth words like no homo. It doesn't get bette with this weak gay community who cant see homophobia if it be smacking them in the forhead

Posted by: Home-Grown | Jul 28, 2012 8:41:39 PM

9. It being summertime and all, I decided to treat my big Irish-Italian-American family (all of whom just happen to be white) to a classic summer picnic. Among the foods included on the menu I listed some fried chicken and sliced watermelon, summer classics, with the warning that the food was "no-black" just so my fellow white relations wouldn't get the "wrong" idea. That shouldn't be seen in any way offensive to my black friends and coworkers should they see it, should it?
    Give me a f**king break about "no-homo" ever being inoffensive! Just how many stupid straight people does one gay guy have to keep as friends when they "inoffensively" denigrate gay-seeming signs of affection as "warning-worthy?" That is some deeply internalized homophobia worthy of professional care to overcome!

Posted by: Tom Cardellino | Jul 28, 2012 8:47:57 PM

10. How can the gay community sincerely want anti gay bullying for our 8, 9 10 year old gay children to stop when WE excuse, and encourage terms like 'no homo'

Seriously. Think about that.

The gay communities lack of conviction and standing up for their convictions is what is contributing to so much homophobia in society and schoolsp

Posted by: Lazerlightbeams | Jul 28, 2012 8:48:50 PM

11. I agree with another poster.

Not correcting and changing the outlook on homophobic street slang, like no homo, hurts vulnerable black LGBT more than anyone. And that's a shame, and something Brandon Thorpe should consider.

Instead of just accepting homophobic terms, actions and slang for what it is.... Correct it, challenge it and educate the person saying it. Make em THINK. They may open their minds and be considerate of other aspects that affect gay folks, but unless you're willing to have that conversation, no progress is being made. Accepting homophobia for face value is being complacent. And lazy.

Posted by: USC Trojans Fan | Jul 28, 2012 8:53:14 PM

12. Let's change the saying to "Yes Gay".

Posted by: Mike | Jul 28, 2012 10:31:56 PM

13. Brandon Thorpe,

You owe the entire gay community an apology for your inexcusable commentary about a homophobic phrase.

Shame on you

Posted by: TK | Jul 29, 2012 12:23:29 AM

14. uh there is no non offensive use of "no homo".

Posted by: JR | Jul 29, 2012 12:24:02 AM

15. Chris Brown HAS A FAKE PHOTOGRAPH OF HIS LONG AND SKINNY PETER ON THE INTERNET. Mr. Brown SHOULD BE ASHAMED TO CALL HIMSELF NEGRO MALE WITH A LIL' PETER LIKE THAT.

I BET Frank Ocean's PETER IS BIGGER AND "black" LOOKING! Mr. Brown NEEDS TO HIDE AND KEEP HIS CLOTHES ON!

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Jul 29, 2012 9:02:16 AM

16. I THINK I MADE MYSELF HORNY THINKING ABOUT Frank Ocean's DARK-NEGRO PETER.

CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER ALLEN HORTON | Jul 29, 2012 9:20:56 AM

17. CB is NASTY.

Posted by: steve | Jul 29, 2012 10:43:35 AM

18. Mr. Brown; as Shakespear (sp?) said, "Me thinks thow doest protest too much". OR: "It takes one to know one!"

Posted by: Jerry6 | Jul 29, 2012 9:23:49 PM

19. Everybody knows what Chris Brown is: A THUG!

Posted by: andrew | Jul 30, 2012 1:39:55 AM

20. Uh, besides trying to wrap my head around "there is a non-offensive use for the phrase 'no homo'", I still don't get the following explanation of the "no homo" slur: "when two young heterosexual men who don't quite know each other are sharing a bit of fraternal affection and don't wish to give each other the wrong idea".

Uh, if both dudes know that the other is heterosexual, then how do they each get the "wrong idea" about the other?

And, ChristopherM nailed it: homophobia IS deeply embedded in misogyny. The fear of the feminine--originating in and propagated by patriarchal religions and/or societies--continues to be a poisonous, foul presence in what passes for modern "civilization".

However, I am sure that Rick will disagree.

Posted by: huascar66 | Jul 30, 2012 4:34:28 AM

21. Chris Brown has shown us that even thugs can be pretty. So avoid them at all costs.

Posted by: andrew | Jul 30, 2012 6:53:33 AM

22. My friends and I say "no homo" to each other all the time. It's hilarious.

Posted by: NVTodd | Jul 30, 2012 12:53:21 PM

23. C'mon, as the leading LGBT blog, you can do better. THE TRUTH IS: CHRIS BROWN SUPPORTS FRANK OCEAN, AND TWEETED HIS SUPPORT TO HIS 10 MILLION FANS. Even Zimbio and the Christianpost have printed Chris Brown's support of Frank Ocean's coming out.

Chris posted: "My Opinion on the whole Frank Ocean subject is......... Love who u want to love. It's your decision. People stop searching for BS." and then "Everyone is so quick to point the wrong fingers at each other! Ask urself... Am I Doing everything I can to help the world?"

Whether you like Chris Brown or not, we rely on you to be current and balanced, not to placate the gossip-mongers and focus on hatred toward our community. You're supposed to be a source of reliable news, not a trashy, inaccurate gossip column. Why do you source the paparazzi and gossip columns, but not Chris Brown's opinion which he states directly on Twitter? Where is your journalist integrity? It is depressing how the media has degenerated.

Mark Twain and Winston Churchill said it best "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to put its pants on."

Posted by: Bruce Miami | Jul 30, 2012 12:59:21 PM

24. Shame on Chris Brown.. if he went to jail & got raped he'd sing a different tune. Have compassion you girl beater!

Posted by: JR | Jul 31, 2012 10:25:26 AM

25. The only good reaction to a question like the one he was asked would have been 'well, why would anyone care about my opinion on that subject?'

I'd like to hear more 'celebrities' use that answer when asked pointless questions by media flacks.

Posted by: Robert | Aug 3, 2012 4:59:03 PM