Colorado | James Holmes | News

Colorado Shooter Makes First Court Appearance

Court_holmes

James Holmes, the man behind Friday night's murderous rampage, appeared in court moments ago looking completely out of it and deranged.

Denver Post:

A prosecutor told the Associated Press this morning that Holmes could face the death penalty. Formal charges are expected to be filed on Monday. Eighteenth Judicial District Chief Judge William Sylvester entered a protection order, requiring Holmes not to have contact with victims or witnesses. He also sealed the records in the case.

Sylvester ordered Holmes held without bond. The purpose of the hearing, known as an advisement, was to tell Holmes about the murder charges on which he is currently being held. A formal filing of charges by the district attorney's office will come later. Prosecutors could add to or change his charges in between.

Clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Wow. If his picture was his grindr profile and then I saw him like this, I would definitely turn him away.

Posted by: zeddy | Jul 23, 2012 12:04:21 PM

2. Sideshow bob

Posted by: DanSwon | Jul 23, 2012 12:09:09 PM

3. I love how the media always trys to show him with "Crazy Eye" , they probubly take 1,000 pictures and decide on which one makes him look the most homicidal. I'm not defending him, just saying.

Posted by: Nate | Jul 23, 2012 12:09:56 PM

4. @Nate,

True. Anybody can be made to look 'crazy' with cameras photographing and videoing his every movement, facial expression or tick.

But in fairness, this dude is batsh*t crazy.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 23, 2012 12:13:43 PM

5. @Zeddy:
    You mean, you thought the photo circulating of him all weekend made him look attractive in a geeky way? I have to say I agree.

Posted by: tcw | Jul 23, 2012 12:15:53 PM

6. @Zeddy:

Posted by: tcw | Jul 23, 2012 12:15:55 PM

7. I WONDER IF THIS MAN RESONATED TO THE DARK ENERGIES OF THE BATMAN MOVIE AND WHAT BATMAN HAS BECOME TO REPRESENT WHICH I THINK IS A FAR CRY FROM THE ORIGINAL INTENT OF THE CREATOR OF THE CHARACTER. THOSE OF US WHO WORK IN THE ARTS ARE VERY WELL AWARE THAT WE WORK WITH ENERGIES WITH STATES OF CONSCIOUSNESS AND OTHER DIMENSIONS OF TIME AND SPACE BRINGING WHAT WE FOUND THERE INTO REALITY BY WAY OF THE ARTS. DID THIS MAN FEEL SOME KIND OF DARK ENERGY, SOME KIND OF DARK FORCE AND PLAY IT OUT. IT DOES BEG THE QUESTION OF THE IMPACT OF THE ARTS ON OUR SOCIETY AND PSYCHES. IS HOLLYWOOD MERELY PROVIDING THE KIND OF ENTERTAINMENT THAT PEOPLE REALLY WANT OR WHAT. CAN PEOPLE EVOLVE BEYOND THE NEED FOR VIOLENCE IN THEIR ENTERTAINMENT OR WHAT. JUST SOME QUESTIONS THAT COME TO MIND WHEN I LOOK INTO IT. BLESSINGS ON YOU ALL, NAMASTE.

Posted by: THE QUEEN | Jul 23, 2012 12:26:11 PM

8. @Nate, I'd normally agree with you, but did you WATCH the footage? He's giving "crazy eye" in the entire thing. It's really bizarre, looks like he's drugged.

Also, it's unfortunate that he has unnaturally dyed hair. There's already the taboo against unnatural hair colors (which I happen to really like), and now we're gonna be seen as freaks and murderers.

Posted by: BenR | Jul 23, 2012 12:27:33 PM

9. Makes me think that it's not going as he planned - that in some weird, twisted way he thought he'd emerge as some sort of folk hero?

Posted by: Butch | Jul 23, 2012 12:31:43 PM

10. Definitely not the Joker...clown hair maybe, but definitely no Joker.

Posted by: Polyboy | Jul 23, 2012 12:33:17 PM

11. I too like colored hair in unnatural hues (mine just switched from streaks of black cherry to purple), but he did a terrible job. It's an unholy union of Sun-In and lemon juice.

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 23, 2012 12:34:59 PM

12. @Queen

He didn't resonate with anything. Nolan's Batman is milquetoast compared to Judge Dredd, Slaine, or myriad other properties.

He planned this for months. He is evil, period.

Posted by: Polyboy | Jul 23, 2012 12:50:02 PM

13. Looks like his defense is already playing up the crazy angle.

Posted by: Jack M | Jul 23, 2012 1:03:01 PM

14. Not one comment is about the fact that he was able to obtain without any difficulty an automatic weapon with an extended clip. Why do we have those things available for some batsh*t crazy fool or some sane fool? Automatic weapons are WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION. They have no place in a civilized society.
    I've sent the following letter to the POTUS and my rep and senators about my concerns with automatic weapons aka WMD.

Dear Mr. President:
    I heard your comments about the shootings in Colorado; I agree with you sending the condolences to families involved. However, I think you need to step in, be Presidental, and announce a request to Congress to introduce a bill banning the sales, trade, and import of all semi- and automatic weapons. These weapons have only one use: the murder and maiming of as many humans in as quick a time as possible. There can be no excuse that these are hunting weapons. They are weapons to murder people.
    As a physician, I have dealt with the results of gunshots. Automatic weapons fire often injuries people in multiple body areas and results in the victim with a lifetime of surgery, repair and disability. This is not a video game where they pop right up and and are okay for the next attempt; these are injured human beings.
    I think, as a memorial to the injured people here and at Columbine and the McDonald's shooting in San Ysidro in 1984, a bill to ban all possible access to semi- and automatic weapons could be named after them. Let Congress go on record before the election that they support such a ban or oppose it. It's time someone in this country has the spine to stand up to the NRA. Stop being a cheerleader president and be a PRESIDENT; signal your support for a bill to ban the import, manufacture, trade of all of these weapons for commercial sale; ban the sale of ammunition and clips to fit these weapons; authorize strict penalties for the conversion of existing semi-automatic weapons to automatic; and finally announce a government funded purchase of functional semi- and automatic weapons.
    This would be a fitting tribute to those who have died in these multiple senseless slaughters. Again I beg you, Mr. Obama, to stand up to the forces of the NRA and call for the Congress to ban these weapons. Let us see in an election year who really cares about these deaths and who just sympathizes with them because it is politically expedient to do so.
    Steven M. Jaeger, MD

Why don't each and every one of you do something similar rather that nattering on about how he LOOKS crazy.

Steven

Posted by: Steven | Jul 23, 2012 1:12:19 PM

15. He's obviously doped up on probably antipsychotic meds, anxiety meds, maybe even sleep meds like trazodone. And he's also probably sleep deprived.

This is not an act. He's 'crazy'. With what condition, don't know.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 23, 2012 1:20:20 PM

16. God he's creepy!

Posted by: J. | Jul 23, 2012 1:23:14 PM

17. @J.,

You know, what he did aside, and his current appearance aside, he's a pretty good looking guy, actually.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 23, 2012 1:26:00 PM

18. Yeah, that's serious sleep deprivation on his face.

He's on suicide watch, and is probably been woken up every 15 minutes of every day since his incarceration. Glad he's not comfortable.

Posted by: jexer | Jul 23, 2012 1:29:19 PM

19. Hopefully they'll go through with ending this murderous filth. And hopefully they'll look into the terrorist urges his cult (Christianity) induces, and deal with that cult accordingly.

Posted by: Sarm | Jul 23, 2012 1:36:32 PM

20. http://fablog.ehrensteinland.com/2012/07/23/fait-diver-just-another-bad-hair-day/

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jul 23, 2012 1:53:55 PM

21. I'm all for due process but I kinda wish they'd toss a rope in his cell and leave him unattended for a few hours. The state shouldn't have to pay for his defense.

Posted by: sparks | Jul 23, 2012 2:02:59 PM

22. Nothing makes me more proud of the gay community than people on here posting about how hot or not the latest murderer looks.

Posted by: stillmarriedinCA | Jul 23, 2012 2:18:44 PM

23. Honestly, although what he did was truly horrible, my gut feeling tells me that he's genuinely insane. This wasn't a case of some random angry person who simply wanted to kill people.

I was reading some of the descriptions of how it all went down (from some of the survivors) and I felt scared just reading it. It was a horrible act, no doubt. But, I do feel that he is genuinely insane, and that his behavior is not just an "act" as some people around the country have suggested.

Posted by: ? | Jul 23, 2012 2:19:34 PM

24. Just wonder how he can get out of this. All the evidence about buying ammunition online which can be traced and the bullets left in the theater. All he can do is to plead insanity.

Posted by: simon | Jul 23, 2012 2:31:00 PM

25. "
    Nothing makes me more proud of the gay community than people on here posting about how hot or not the latest murderer looks."

THIS