American Family Association | Colorado | Crime | Deaths | Religion

Colorado Shooting Blamed On Gays, Liberals

Fred_Jackson_American_Family_AssociationIt was going to happen eventually: the Colorado massacre has now been pinned on the gays.

The pinning was done by Fred Jackson, of the American Family Association, on his radio show yesterday. Thanks to RightWingWatch for the transcription:

I think the sources of this is [sic] multifaceted but you can put it all I think under the heading of rebellion to God, a rejection of the God of the Bible. I think along with an education system that has produced our lawyers, our politicians, more teachers, more professors, all of that sort of thing, is our churches, mainline churches. We’ve been dealing Teddy and I know the AFA Journal has been dealing with denominations that no longer believe in the God of the Bible, they no longer believe that Jesus is the only way of salvation, they teach that God is OK with homosexuality, this is just increasing more and more. It is mankind shaking its fist at the authority of God.

Happily, it's not just the gays responsible for James Holmes's midnight movie massacre -- it's everyone who doesn't share Fred Jackson's exact set of values:

In the community there were community standards that reflected biblical principles, whether people knew it or not, the standard in the community was based on Scripture. In that short period of time, roughly forty years, we have seen such a transformation in values in our communities, whether it's rural or whether it's big city. I have to think that all of this, whether it's the Hollywood movies, whether it's what we see on the internets, whether it's liberal bias in the media, whether it's our politicians changing public policy, I think all of those somehow have fit together — and I have to say also churches who are leaving the authority of Scripture and losing their fear of God — all of those things have seem to have come together to give us these kinds of incidents.

Jackson's rant is an example of the "No True Scotsman" fallacy, and it evinces a peculiar kind of historical blindness. Even if Jackson's assertion -- that the advance of social liberalism is responsible for Holmes's killing spree -- happened to be true, which it isn't, wouldn't it follow that Jackson's own, "Scripture-based" conception of morality was responsible for the atrocities perpetrated before we had "Hollywood movies," the "internets," "liberal bias in the media," and pro-gay churches? The massacre in Rosewood, slavery, the extermination of Native Americans, and so forth? What does he make of the fact that, in strictly statistical terms, we're now living in an era far less violent and oppressive than any in human history?

The blame game is difficult to play. There are no rules, and there are seldom winners. Marilyn Manson's 13-year-old essay on the Columbine massacre remains relevant, and more sensible than most of the scribbling yet done on the subject of Colorado's latest tragedy:

When it comes down to who's to blame for the high school murders in Littleton, Colorado, throw a rock and you'll hit someone who's guilty. We're the people who sit back and tolerate children owning guns, and we're the ones who tune in and watch the up-to-the-minute details of what they do with them. I think it's terrible when anyone dies, especially if it is someone you know and love. But what is more offensive is that when these tragedies happen, most people don't really care any more than they would about the season finale of Friends or The Real World. I was dumbfounded as I watched the media snake right in, not missing a teardrop, interviewing the parents of dead children, televising the funerals. Then came the witch hunt.

Man's greatest fear is chaos. It was unthinkable that these kids did not have a simple black-and-white reason for their actions. And so a scapegoat was needed.

Comments

1. I did not see this coming at all...

*rolls eyes*

This is the same junk Jerry Failwhale pulled after 9/11 - blame a national tragedy on gays, liberals, atheists, abortions, the ACLU, etc.

Then it turned out 9/11 was caused by the Taliban, which aside from their skin color, had the exact same ideology as Jerry and his ilk. WHOOPS!

When you point a finger at someone, there are three more pointing right back.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Jul 21, 2012 4:02:48 PM

2. If you're going to re-post the anti-gay rantings of every Religious Right dimbulb, how about at least mixing it up a little, making it fun?

Turn them into Mad-Libs with nouns and adjectives missing so we can fill in the blanks. Interpretive dance, perhaps? (Though all the "jerking off" hand motions may not be safe for work.) Sock puppets? How about a contest where the person who correctly guesses the convoluted and nonsensical reason it's all our fault wins a valuable prize, like ear plugs.

Posted by: Caliban | Jul 21, 2012 4:10:46 PM

3. Caliban:

I like it. Could be a recurring feature. Will talk to Andy.

- BKT

Posted by: Brandon K. Thorp | Jul 21, 2012 4:15:40 PM

4. So maybe I should sue this guy for defamation?

He says I'm responsible for the shooting because I'm gay. I haven't been charged with the crime, and can prove I had no knowledge of this event and I was nowhere near CO at the time of the shooting.

Defamation!

Posted by: Fred | Jul 21, 2012 4:18:38 PM

5. Important to be aware that this man has an audience. How large?

Posted by: Jeff | Jul 21, 2012 4:28:08 PM

6. And here I was thinking the reason for the shooting was that member of an imperfectly evolved primate species managed to get a hold of a weapon that shoots 800 rounds a minute. But I also think that hurricanes are caused by changes in wind and air temperatures over water instead of gay people, so what do I know.

Posted by: Tom | Jul 21, 2012 4:34:35 PM

7. These tragic events have become a re-run of the same show: mass violence (usually shootings) somewhere (Norway, Toronto, Colorado, etc.), followed by fear, tears, hugging, candle-light vigils, teddy bear memorials and, finally, finger pointing. Everyone seems to expect life to be risk-free and no one wants to accept that random bad things happen caused by bad people. No further explanation or blame is necessary. It's just the way life is.

Posted by: Perry | Jul 21, 2012 4:35:58 PM

8. I have an alibi !

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jul 21, 2012 4:37:46 PM

9. Thank God we have the AFA to show us the truth! What would we do otherwise? It's hard being so ignorant, isn't it, Tom? I wish I'd never been forced to go that awful thing called school when I could have just listened to this radio show. What a waste of money on my degrees, etc.

Posted by: Tim | Jul 21, 2012 4:42:30 PM

10. "Old Jesus would just puke !"

Acknowledgement:
    (Thanks again Jim, via Holden Caulfield)

These events are desperately tragic .....and the terrible thing is that it takes only one deranged individual to bring such sorrow.
    If anything in the above rantings were true there would be a lot more mayhem; most people are decent members of society, not gun toting psychopaths........what the phuck has the bible got to do with anything ? Other than exposing the lunatic fringe.
    and I don't think that our standards are based on Scripture.......our human standards existed long before scriopture was heard of.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jul 21, 2012 4:45:25 PM

11. What can you expect from people who hold a bible in one hand and a gun in the other.

Posted by: Mickey | Jul 21, 2012 4:49:44 PM

12. @Perry- I couldn't disagree more. I would hate to live in a world where mass killings become commonplace. Just because the effect is old shoe doesn't mean the cause should be. And the indication that our mourning is old shoe says more about our apathy about disenfranchised kids and gun control than anything else.

Posted by: Ryan | Jul 21, 2012 4:54:15 PM

13. "It is mankind shaking its fist at the authority of God."

A fist?

I wave my smooth, round, brown bare a$$ in the non-existent face of your fake, made-up, imaginary, delusional, impotent lower-case 'g' god.

Posted by: Culona | Jul 21, 2012 4:56:34 PM

14. If anything, this proves that Christians have been given far too much leeway in this country for far too long. They are rabid animals, and should be treated as such if we want to prevent something like this from happening again. And these Christians who use this tragedy to gloat about how people should follow them "or else..." are making terrorist threats, and they should be dealt with.

Posted by: Sarm | Jul 21, 2012 4:58:51 PM

15. The bible, ie "the authority of scripture", is responsible for some of the most flagrantly destructive situations in the history of mankind, an excuse for the murder of millions of "non-believers" — muslims, jews, atheists, homosexuals… alike — it is at heart an inhuman tool of control and of destruction.

Jesus the man (and I see him only as a man) would never have agreed with or approved any of this. He would simply be ashamed.

Ashamed. Shame on you (and I mean you Fred).

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Jul 21, 2012 5:00:47 PM

16. If bad things happen due to social liberalism, and it's all because the bible says so, then after lo these many years of social change, and society has changed drastically within only 100 years, never you mind 1,000, then this world should pretty much have been destroyed a long time ago.

Posted by: Matt | Jul 21, 2012 5:02:45 PM

17. This isolated incident is pale in comparison to what is in the old testaments which talk about mass murder of women and children, all in the name of God. (Thomas Paine, The age of reason)

Posted by: simon | Jul 21, 2012 5:19:58 PM

18. @Ryan-"Disenfranchised kids"? What is that suppose to mean in this context? Give kids the vote? Gun control (which I favor, BTW)? The OK City bomber didn't use guns. Sometimes terrible things happen beyond our control. This is one of them.

Posted by: Perry | Jul 21, 2012 5:27:52 PM

19. "blah blah blah guns didn't kill those people...it was those evil homosexuals derp derp derp"

I was not aware that the killer used a weapon that could shoot out 600 gays guys per minute instead of bullets. It just happen it be coincidence that a few thousand bullets were also present at the movie and somehow ended up lodged in the victim's bodies.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Jul 21, 2012 5:32:25 PM

20. ABC News and George Stephanophologopholus blamed it on the Tea Party when the bodies were still in the theater!

On the air! And when a journalist apologizes and admits they were full of sh!t, they doing it the responsible way: on Twitter.

Posted by: MarkUs | Jul 21, 2012 5:32:26 PM

21. He's wrong on many levels, but most importantly, violent crime rates have dropped significantly over the past 50 years and incarceration rates are the highest they've ever been, so the country is not getting soft on crime and the rise of liberal politics has not resulted in an increase in the violent crime rate.

Posted by: anon | Jul 21, 2012 5:32:59 PM

22. The only responsible for the shooting is that insane free gun circulation that you in USA have (I'm european) free circulation that those religion's folks defend as "God" right...

Posted by: lukebrux | Jul 21, 2012 5:35:10 PM

23. Michael Moore: If you were to talk directly to the kids at Columbine or the people in that community, what would you say to them if they were here right now?
    Marilyn Manson: I wouldn't say a single word to them. I would listen to what they have to say, and that's what no one did.

Posted by: parkrunner | Jul 21, 2012 5:48:35 PM

24. @Perry- I only meant that there is always some level of control, no matter the circumstance. In this instance, instead of throwng our hands up and saying "that's life," what if we try to understand our role in this tragedy. Did this guy shows signs of mental instability that we ignored (similar to the OK bomber)? Are there loopholes in our current gun laws that make it easy for unstable individuals to gain access to weapons? That's the apathy I'm talking about. Our apathy towards our current circumstances that helps produce these situations.

Posted by: Ryan | Jul 21, 2012 6:01:34 PM

25. Re gun laws :
    Stop worshiping at the shrine of your Constitution; it is a flawed document that needs a radical overhaul.

But if it were all up for grabs,for an overhaul, I'm afraid that the USA does not have either a Madison or a Hamilton to manage the Constitutional Convention that would be needed.
    My God , imagine a Bachman/Palin/Ryan/Cantor endless rantings of bile and bible.........
    But such a radical modernisation is still needed; get rid of the right to bear arms; abolish the Electoral College and have a democratic representation in the Senate, not the absurd States pseudo equality nonsense.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jul 21, 2012 6:15:56 PM