Crime | News | Washington DC

Gay Couple Attacked, Badly Beaten in D.C. Hate Crime: VIDEO

Michaelhall

A gay D.C. couple were badly beaten over the weekend in an attack police are investigating as a hate crime.

MyFOXDC reports:

It happened just after midnight on Sunday morning on the 1900 block of 3rd Street in Northeast D.C.

Michael Joel Hall and his partner, Michael Roike, were jumped by a gang of men as they were walking home. The men had been dropped off near their home, when friends say they were ambushed. The group severely beat Hall. His cheek was broken and he suffered other facial injuries. Roike was also beaten, but his injuries were far less severe.

Roike's mother, Michelle, says she is convinced the men would have been killed had it not been for a woman and her boyfriend who intervened.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

A Facebook page and Paypal account have been set up to support the couple. Hall's apartment was also recently destroyed in a fire. He has no health insurance.

DC Breaking Local News Weather Sports FOX 5 WTTG

Comments

1. Thanks for posting this, I hope he recovers fine.

Posted by: RobWest | Jul 24, 2012 2:35:48 PM

2. at least i'm not rambling from a place of cowardly anonymity.

it sure is easy for some folks to talk themselves up then they treat the internet like a burqa.

i guess it's one of those "you have the be brought up in the culture" things. the idea of a healthcare system run for PROFIT and not actual care for citizens is incredibly offensive to humanity, to those of us who've grown up in cultures where we all help each other with our medical needs.

and no anonymous troll can easily shoot anyone down from anything. when your words can only bet typed while you hide your prove yourself wrong. because you know you're wrong. that's why you hide. keep it up.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jul 24, 2012 2:36:30 PM

3. @Caliban Another lovely politically-correct speech.

Look, I am going to lay it on the line here for you and all the other apologists.

The attacks by young black males on gay people is rapidly becoming an epidemic. If you and other Far Left apologists continue to send the message to them that you will make excuses for them and allow them to get away with their violence, then the trend will accelerate to crisis levels. And people just like yourselves, "good liberals" living in liberal urban enclaves on the East and West coasts (like DC) will be the ones being victimized. And frankly, you will deserve the consequences, having brought them on yourselves.

So you can make your choices accordingly.

Done.

Posted by: Rick | Jul 24, 2012 2:40:19 PM

4. Rick: get off your high horse and get over yourself.

Little Kiwi: quit with the holier-than-though Canada crap. You make us look bad. No country is perfect. Let it go.

Posted by: CANUCK | Jul 24, 2012 2:42:40 PM

5. How about the attacks on LGBT Youth for not being "manly enough" in the eyes of cowardly closet case adults?

it's the thing with internet trolls - they spew their hate anonymously, because doing so is the only thing they have left in life.

it's annoying. but they'll die. alone. so it's ok, in the end.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jul 24, 2012 2:43:33 PM

6. Rick, at 52, will hopefully die sooner than the rest. He could go die of cancer and no one would care.

Posted by: endo | Jul 24, 2012 2:47:16 PM

7. it's not holier-than-anything. holy has nothing to do with it.

it wasn't "holier than thou" attitudes that inspired the Underground Railroad, either.

it was about being a decent human being.

i'm not making anyone look bad. and if you think i am you can put a face to who you are in your comments so you can negate the apparently-bad image you think i'm giving.

it's not about being perfect. it's about doing the right thing.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jul 24, 2012 2:50:22 PM

8. Drop it

Posted by: CANUCK | Jul 24, 2012 2:52:51 PM

9. "Rick, at 52, will hopefully die sooner than the rest. He could go die of cancer and no one would care"

And there you have it, folks. Wishing cancer and death on somebody. That is what the low self-esteem associated with the culture of effeminacy does to some people.

Posted by: Rick | Jul 24, 2012 2:54:37 PM

10. right. because those with low self-esteem are the ones who are Out, and the ones who are totally well-adjusted are the ones who anonymously comment online and refuse to stand up to be counted.

oh, that horrible culture of effeminacy resulting in such low self-esteem that those heinous "femmes" are out there leading visible lives, while those who hate femmes can only express it through their online Closets.

yeah. exactly.

*elegant curtsy*

want to actually address crime? go to the root- the inability of people to make a decent living.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jul 24, 2012 2:58:29 PM

11. Again, this violence will be more common in post-marriage America.
    Don't delude yourself into thinking there won't be violence.

Posted by: Jake | Jul 24, 2012 3:07:11 PM

12. You're not a somebody, Rick. You're a nobody.

And you're such a simpleton you think the reason I rail against you is because I take personal offence to your ongoing crusade against effeminate men. Hah. I ain't offended in the slightest, just standing up for the people you constantly come on here to bash.

I guarantee you I'm more masculine than you are, you sniveling swine.

About that cancer? I hope it's painful.

Posted by: endo | Jul 24, 2012 3:08:50 PM

13. @Brian,

Like I've said; some subjects are simply taboo. Thank you for clarifying this for me. ANY discussion about the *EXTREMELY* high rates of violence and violent crime among black males in the U.S. MUST NOT BE DISCUSSED OR ACKNOWLEDGED. ANYBODY who does mention it, IS A RACIST. Now to TR's credit, my posts and others aren't being removed or censored on this subject, unlike another hot topic discussion a few weeks ago. That involved another no-no topic.

Brian, IT IS NOT 'racist' to simply point out the fact that young black males in America are STATISTICALLY, FACTUALLY [and anyone of any 'race' would know this if they've lived in 'urban' areas] responsible for a VERY DISPROPORTIONATE level of violent crime, gun crime, and homicides. I DIDN'T SAY ALL BLACK MALES OR ALL YOUNG BLACK MALES, that of course, would be a retarded and genuinely bigoted and racist thing to say. But of course posters like you will simply bury your head up your a** and use the race and troll card.

=========================

And what did I say aboot Canada? Did I say something really mean spirited aboot Canada? No, I didn't. I've been to Canada MANY times. I have Canadian relatives in Ottawa, Toronto and Alberta, and Canadian friends.

But I also agree with others who say some Canadians do have the obnoxious habit of being sanctimonious and holier than thou when comparing Canada and the U.S. Actually, it's fairly common.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 24, 2012 3:21:52 PM

14. It's not "politically correct" for me to say that every time I have been the victim of homophobia in my work environment, that every time I've been verbally attacked and felt physically unsafe, that the aggressor was white. It's merely the truth.

It's not political correctness to say that when my legal rights have been attacked through a concerted political effort that the leaders of that effort were white, "Christian," and 90+% of the time members of the Republican party. Once again it's merely the truth.

If it were true that gay people only need fear violence from black people then it would follow that gay people who live in areas of the country without a substantial black population should live fearless, carefree lives yet we KNOW that isn't true. So what exactly is the goal of all this fearmongering?

Posted by: Caliban | Jul 24, 2012 3:29:31 PM

15. @Derrick,

I'm well aware there are white criminals. That's silly. BUT, and this is a big 'but': I hate to be pedantic, statistically whites, including white males, are under-represented by a considerable margin in committing violent crime including murders in the U.S., and especially regarding so-called gun crime. Unless we all think the police, various state D.A.s, federal DOJ, and the FBI are all lying and conspiring against black males. Asian males are even less likely to commit violent crime. So-called Hispanics are higher than whites and Asians, but still considerably lower than blacks.

Black folks Derrick make up 12-13% of the U.S. population over-all, males a little less than half that at 5-6%, young males even less. It's obscene and un-natural a single identifiable demographic, young black males, are responsible for so much havoc. And it's not 'racist' to acknowledge the problem.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 24, 2012 3:29:33 PM

16. I didn't call you a troll, ratbastard, just a racist. If a white guy beats up a gay guy, then hate is directed at the attacker. But if the perpetrator is a person of color, then immediately anti-black posts flood the site. I'm not hiding the fact that there's more violence in the black community, I'm questioning why it's relevant. You've even moved one step beyond the crime in the post to go into general complaints about blacks being violent generally. Why is this important? Nobody's hiding from it, I just don't see what you want us to do with this information.

Most antigay violence is perpetrated by whites, but we don't make sweeping generalizations about them. It would be honestly helpful if someone could focus on other attributes that violent bigots share apart from race, like family stability, incomes, education levels etc. Then maybe some policy prescriptions could follow. But just obsessing about skin color, which you do every single time this comes up, is completely unhelpful. And yes, racist.

Posted by: Brian | Jul 24, 2012 3:30:28 PM

17. caliban, you're asking for facts, logic and reason from anonymous closeted trolls who come on here because they can't say, or do, anything in the real world.

the "i hate femmes, i'm a real man" men who can't put a face to their claims.
    the "i hate blacks" racists who can't do it, either.

why? anonymous venting is all they have in life.

giving them facts and logic and expecting it to work is like expecting the Concerned Women for America to accept the theory of evolution.

you can't put weight on facts and logic whose beliefs hinge on willfully ignoring facts and logic.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jul 24, 2012 3:34:27 PM

18. @Caliban,

I personally don't think all assaults and crimes by black males where the victim is non-black are racially motivated. That's silly. Does racial animosity play a role in many instances? Yes, I think so, although it may not be the prime motivator. Just being a violent sociopath seems to be the main motivator.

MOST victims of crimes committed by black perps are themselves black or another 'minority'. Likewise, most victims of crimes committed by white perps are themselves white, ditto Hispanics, Asians, etc. There is actually VERY little white on black crime. VERY little. There's A LOT of black on white crime.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 24, 2012 3:34:27 PM

19. DC is no longer majority black, according to the 2010 Census.

Posted by: Laurie | Jul 24, 2012 3:35:02 PM

20. Regardless of the racial (not "racist" always, just racial) cnversation here, I have to give RatBastard credit for reminding us that we should become armed AND dangerous to attackers. Gay people are simply more targeted and it's bullsh*t.

I cannot understand the shock so many gay people experience when I recommend they become armed, and dangerous to attackers. Is it because we are supposed to buy into the Democratic political platform without question? I am a democrat, but will choose my politics like a cafeteria plan. "I'll have a side of Constitutionally-Protected Gun Rights along with my Gay Marriage please."

I am asserting that we should become legal owners and users of our firearms if, and only if, our lives or the lives of our loved ones are in danger. Buff, skinny, fem, or butch, arm yourself gentlemen and use extreme discretion before ever pulling that gun out of your pocket.

Posted by: RoadWaryur | Jul 24, 2012 3:36:15 PM

21. Typical Ratbastard, he says "I didn't say that or mean to say that" in one sentence, then goes on and says it in the next sentence. Good grief.

Posted by: LARRY | Jul 24, 2012 3:37:35 PM

22. @Brian,

BECAUSE there is SO MUCH violent crime in D.C. and other areas with a high black population which is why I mention it, what many people [at least Americans] IMMEDIATELY think, but most are afraid to say for fear of being called 'racist'.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 24, 2012 3:38:30 PM

23. Spot on, Caliban. But those who want to turn this into a race riot (aka Rick), their agenda is actually to throw black people under the bus. It really isn't about homophobia. They're just racist. However, obviously, a homophobic attack by someone who is black isn't any different than a homophobic attack by someone who is white.

You're also right, Caliban, that coming out and being seen and becoming known is the best way to affect change but until inner-cities become more accepting towards the gay community, the gays in these communities are going to keep a low profile. It's a cycle that's hard to break, unfortunately.

As for you, Rat, if you could realize that there is a difference between a CULTURAL issue and a RACIAL issue, you would see different responses. Anti-gay hate crimes are a cultural phenomenon. Black-on-black crimes are a cultural phenomenon. Poverty is still obviously an issue in inner-city communities because people in inner-city communities generally don't have high paying jobs, for starters. Lack of work, lack of opportunity. Lack of parental figures is a major issue. Lack of funding for schools is a major issue, which leads to public schools having too many kids to keep control of, mediocre teachers, rundown textbooks, among other dilemmas. Just throwing money at these problems certainly doesn't solve them long-term.

It's not race. There are black people who are not anti-gay and white teens who commit hate crimes. It's 100% culture, specifically street culture, which glorifies violence, where the men (and even women too) extremely hyper-masculine, hyper-aggressive bravado, people tend to have a chip on their shoulder and a lot of resentment towards greater society (and their reasons for which are pretty valid), high-poverty, high drug-sale/usage rates, and we can go on. The way to end hate crimes and all crime in these areas is to fix the symptoms that lead to crime being more likely in these areas in the first place. "They're black" is not the answer.

Posted by: Francis | Jul 24, 2012 3:39:11 PM

24. Lil' Canadian said:

'caliban, you're asking for facts, logic and reason from anonymous closeted trolls who come on here because they can't say, or do, anything in the real world.'

===============

Lil' Canadian,

Facts? Are you effing serious,boss? I've given plenty of facts in my posts, you're the one who uses emotion and propaganda.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 24, 2012 3:40:48 PM

25. You don't mention it, ratbastard, you repeat it ad nauseum. And I still don't see how that furthers any sort of conversation or thinking on this crime. When I read about this (and I'm an American) I get angry at the jerks that did this, and wish we lived in a more sane world where this sort of stuff didn't happen. If I find out the skin color of the attackers, I feel no more or less angry with them. You obviously feel differently, so I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree as usual.

Posted by: Brian | Jul 24, 2012 3:44:44 PM