Chick-fil-A | Deaths | News

BigGayDeal.com

Don Perry, VP of Chick-fil-A Public Relations, Dies of Heart Attack

Don_perry

Donald A. Perry, the Vice President of Corporate Public Relations for Chick-fil-A, has died.

WRBL reports:

Ross Cathy, the owner of the Midland, GA Chick-fil-A and family member of company CEO, Dan Cathy, tells News 3, Perry passed away this morning from a heart attack.

Chick-fil-A released a statement:

We are saddened to report the news to you that our dear friend Don Perry, vice president of public relations, passed away suddenly this morning.

Don was a member of our Chick-fil-A family for nearly 29 years.  For many of you in the media, he was the spokesperson for Chick-fil-A.  He was a well-respected and well-liked media executive in the Atlanta and University of Georgia communities, and we will all miss him.

Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Comments

1. 1st off, RIP...

2ndly, gee, you spend a great deal of fortune demonizing the LGBT community and when you finally come out vocally about what everyone has already known, the backlash gives you a heart attack.

To the bigots who keep wanting to support Chick-fil-A, go ahead. The more you "support" them the sooner you'll have a heart attack.

Posted by: Michael | Jul 27, 2012 3:12:10 PM

2. I shall have a beer.

Posted by: Randy | Jul 27, 2012 3:13:02 PM

3. Let's wait for the autopsy.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jul 27, 2012 3:16:38 PM

4. It's sick for anyone to take any pleasure from this. But I also fail to see how this news is relative to us.

Posted by: DanSwon | Jul 27, 2012 3:18:41 PM

5. I won't rejoice for a second, and do indeed feel bad for his family and friends. As others have alluded to, this must have been a very stressful week in that PR department, but to the extent it included efforts to lie about the safety of Jim Henson Co. toys or to create fake facebook accounts, I'd say the stress of hypocrisy and guilt were contributing factors equal to or exceeding the national brohaha set off by his boss's comments.

Posted by: Zlick | Jul 27, 2012 3:22:01 PM

6. This gay heathen, is praying for your family and the return of your soul.

Posted by: M. Scott Hernandez | Jul 27, 2012 3:23:55 PM

7. I guess they are going to blame us for making his job stressful.. well actually it would be Cathy's fault for that. Or maybe, it was the food product - actually thats most likely the case.

Posted by: Drew Boo | Jul 27, 2012 3:24:08 PM

8. I'm sorry, but we're suppose to take the moral high ground on this? How many of them, and how quickly, do you think would jump on the chance to say, "Look! This is without a doubt God striking his vengeance upon you for using His Name to justify your bigotry." I mean, my God, the VP of their Public Relations was just "struck down" with a heart attack. Countless numbers of them would be jumping up and down with glee that they had proof God hates us just as much as they do.

So, yes, let's take the moral high road because, God knows, they never would. It's just obnoxious if the tables were turn there would be no greater proof for them that they were on the right side.

However, I am chuckling at the thought of all these homophobes, who are probably so overweight to begin with, digging their graves at a faster rate by eating at Chick-fil-A.

Posted by: Michael | Jul 27, 2012 3:25:12 PM

9. We need to stand strong against this evil company. Don't get soft just because someone has died. We STILL deserve our equal rights whether he is dead or alive.

KEEP UP THE PRESSURE ! It's working !

Posted by: Icebloo | Jul 27, 2012 3:25:19 PM

10. To GREG and DANSWON....

If you haven't noticed Chick-fil-A has been in the news, and has been featured in several articles here on TowleRoad. Considering the number of Chick-fil-A articles, AND Chick-fil-A being in the national news as well.. AND considering... TowleRoad has never been.. "All gay news, All the time..." There is nothing inappropriate about reporting on this story, and its association with the rest of the Chick-fil-A news.

Condolences to his family.

Posted by: theotherlee | Jul 27, 2012 3:26:37 PM

11. Greg, Towleroad doesnt need comments - its one of the most-read blogs on the net.

Posted by: Drew Boo | Jul 27, 2012 3:27:42 PM

12. He was just too dear to God that he called him up..but wait he's going the wrong way. Oh sorry, am saddened. My condolences to his family and first wives. RIP.

Posted by: Alejo | Jul 27, 2012 3:30:31 PM

13. "We don't want gays to be able to get married."
    *dies*
    Hey homophobic Christians...you know all the times you claim something is "Gods wrath"? I think you just learned that coincidences do exist.

Posted by: ~Wrath~ | Jul 27, 2012 3:38:48 PM

14. @M.SCOTT HERNANDEZ: What are you then? A Hindu, a Buddhist, a Taoist...am just curious!!! :)

Posted by: Alejo | Jul 27, 2012 3:40:20 PM

15. Hey, if anyone is up for it, CNN has an iReport, currently being highlighted on their front page, from a homophobe talking about Chick-fil-A. The hypocrisy just stuns me. It's AOK to boycott 10,000 companies that are pro-gay but when the tables are turned they all start freaking out.

Posted by: Michael | Jul 27, 2012 3:47:46 PM

16. @GREG: This restaurant has been in the media for weeks about its anti-gay stance. The guy who has been dealing with the media and is the spokesperson for that company dies of a heart attack. It's news...and quite frankly, downright freaky!

Posted by: EYEROLL | Jul 27, 2012 3:48:07 PM

17. I will make an argument that is strictly medical rather than religious, an argument in which no divine entity intervenes. Working to deny people equal rights is not just hateful; it's also stressful, and that will take a toll on people's health. Hate is always a medically unwise choice. The adverse health effects of living with hate suggest that Mr. Perry would have been wiser to change his belief system early on and avoided the added stress that a hateful life puts people through. I am in no way relishing anyone's illness or death. Quite the opposite. I'm simply offering sound advice for living a less stressful life.

Posted by: Artie_in_Lauderdale | Jul 27, 2012 3:55:45 PM

18. It's got to be pretty stressful defending bigotry.

Posted by: vybe | Jul 27, 2012 3:58:58 PM

19. putting garbage in your body and mind has consequences. Hate and fried food is not a good combo meal.

Posted by: Rusti Pypes | Jul 27, 2012 4:01:24 PM

20. Clarence Darrow - "I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure

Posted by: doug105 | Jul 27, 2012 4:07:21 PM

21. Knowing the conservative movement as I do, there is no doubt in my mind that as I write, there are right-wing posters on other websites claiming that the gays are responsible for this man's tragic demise. And yes, I'm glad that there are many decent Towleroaders who express sympathy for him and his family. I second their views. But I have to wonder if many on the right are not learning an important lesson from this. All their "Disaster X is God's punishment for abortion rights, disaster Y is God's punishment for sodomy, etc.." comments may be causing them to rethink things. The problem with what they claim is that no one can know the mind of God. Any disaster could be retribution for ANY violation of God's will. Could Jerry Falwell's sudden and deadly heart attack alone in his office have been punishment for him saying that God "doesn't give a flip" about his obesity? There's a "mix and match" quality to this kind of analysis. Pick your disaster and pick your personal pet cause where you assume God is as offended as you are. It feels mighty good to make these claims. But even from a theological perspective it is an amateur's game.

Posted by: Mary | Jul 27, 2012 4:13:11 PM

22. Irony

Posted by: Ted | Jul 27, 2012 4:20:40 PM

23. I am sure the mormons are rushing to baptize him.

Posted by: PDX Guy | Jul 27, 2012 4:21:08 PM

24. The Lord's wrath has been struck.

Posted by: Peter | Jul 27, 2012 4:22:06 PM

25. @ Mary,

Well put, Mary. I have never used the argument that "Disaster X is God's punishment against people that I personally dislike," and I'm certainly not going to start using such a foolish argument now. Many of us are not religious, but even for those who are religious, "no one can know the mind of God," as you say.

My argument in my previous paragraph is that hate and bigotry are unwise medical choices because they inevitably make a person's life more stressful. Not only that, hate makes someone a magnet for negative reactions, creating even more stress for the bigoted individual; I think we all learned that in kindergarten. My honest advice is for bigots to change their belief systems because of the benefits that would accrue: they would lead healthier, less stressful lives and probably live longer.

Posted by: Artie_in_Lauderdale | Jul 27, 2012 4:24:33 PM