Chick-fil-A | Deaths | News

BigGayDeal.com

Don Perry, VP of Chick-fil-A Public Relations, Dies of Heart Attack

Don_perry

Donald A. Perry, the Vice President of Corporate Public Relations for Chick-fil-A, has died.

WRBL reports:

Ross Cathy, the owner of the Midland, GA Chick-fil-A and family member of company CEO, Dan Cathy, tells News 3, Perry passed away this morning from a heart attack.

Chick-fil-A released a statement:

We are saddened to report the news to you that our dear friend Don Perry, vice president of public relations, passed away suddenly this morning.

Don was a member of our Chick-fil-A family for nearly 29 years.  For many of you in the media, he was the spokesperson for Chick-fil-A.  He was a well-respected and well-liked media executive in the Atlanta and University of Georgia communities, and we will all miss him.

Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Comments

1. Considering how much Chik-Fil-A and their anti-gay policy has been in the news for the last week, yes this is valid news for this site.

The stress from the last week may have been a factor, but that stressful period was started by the public statements of Dan Cathy and none other. Without them, things would have continued on as they had in the past.

My condolences to Mr Perry's friends and family.

Posted by: Caliban | Jul 27, 2012 4:26:10 PM

2. It is amusing - let's face it. He works for a company that just said we're inviting god's wrath and then a guy in just the right position drops dead. I always thought gays like the opportunity for a good laugh.
    All condolences in these comments are completely insincere. None of us had any idea that the man even existed. One just can't be sorry that someone died who was actively working to deny you basic rights when you were completely unfamiliar with them as a person. I mean someone worse may step in his shoes so WE may have a reason to be sorry but the false attempts at moral high-ground come off as - false.

Posted by: Markt | Jul 27, 2012 4:39:30 PM

3. For his family I wish them well.

The rightwing will simply say we persecued a good christian and he died defending his faith. That martyr stuff is central to all fundies whether xtain, muslim or some other flavor. It beats finding any rational explanation plus you get free sainthood.

I hope our side stays on the high road with this.

Posted by: Steve | Jul 27, 2012 4:39:57 PM

4. Can't help but wonder if this was brought on by all the stress that Dan Cathy stirred up.

Posted by: beef and fur | Jul 27, 2012 4:41:52 PM

5. Must have been 'God's' will

Posted by: Will | Jul 27, 2012 4:42:22 PM

6. Sad,,,I guess I shouldn't have been scattering those chicken bones and doing those voodoo chants last night....oops.

Posted by: Iwontgrowup | Jul 27, 2012 4:43:44 PM

7. Artie, we've had exchanges in the past and I respect you a lot, but I'm having a hard time understanding your reasoning here. It is true that hate is bad for a person - it tends to harm the person who has it rather than the person who is it's object. But you are not really referring to hate itself here - you're referring to a set of political beliefs/actions which you are assuming is motivated by hate. As proof, you claim that these hate-filled people should "change their belief system" rather than "find a way to justify their beliefs that doesn't involve them hating others." What you really want is for all anti-gay marriage forces to simply give up. Essentially, you're using the "hate charge" to insist that the issue of SSM be settled in your favor.

The fact is that a person can oppose gay marriage without being the least bit hateful toward gays, and even while becoming more sympathetic to their causes (as I did.) People on the Left forget that their own hatred was famous as "rage" in the 1960's. Even political views or fears that turn out later to be baseless can easily be the result of faulty thinking rather than ill intentions.

Posted by: Mary | Jul 27, 2012 4:47:01 PM

8. My condolences to his family and loved ones.

I take no pleasure in the death of another human being nor do I allow the haters to dictate my feelings.

His family is going through an incredible loss. Let's be mindful of that and although some people on the right would not give us that dignity, we are different. We know better and we must act accordingly.

My sentiment does not justify the policies of the company he worked for nor his important job within it. Being callous will not bring equality any faster and will show us to be just like those who seek to oppress us.

We are fighting for our humanity and we must give Mr. Perry and his family the same dignity we so desire at this very difficult time for them.

RIP Mr. Perry.

Posted by: truthteller | Jul 27, 2012 4:55:45 PM

9. Truthteller, that was exquisite!

Posted by: Mary | Jul 27, 2012 5:04:15 PM

10. I love Towleroad and usually love the comments. But there are not many people offering comments here with whom i would like to spend time - Sanctimonius much?

Posted by: Markt | Jul 27, 2012 5:06:48 PM

11. In all honesty, a glance at the comments blog on either side of this issue reveals plenty of viciousness and dehumanization being tossed around from angry people on both sides. Yes, obviously "they started it," and they are the ones working to deny us equal rights, but I think the decline of civil discourse and the sharp rise in violent rhetoric on every side of EVERY political issue at the moment takes a stressful toll on all of us, whether we're dishing out or receiving. Worse yet, it only serves to harden the opinions on both sides against one another as, rightly or wrongly, people feel victimized by each other's anger and use that as a weapon to smear their adversaries as irrational monsters out to destroy everything good.

Of course, vicious rhetoric has taken its toll before in the Gabrielle Gifford's shooting. After a few weeks of public attention on the issue, nothing ever came of it. So it will be here, I suspect. But I think that powerful interview with that woman attacked in Nebraska gets it right when she pleads that we all remember that people are not pawns but human beings. When we lose track of that, all hell breaks loose.

Posted by: Shelly | Jul 27, 2012 5:07:43 PM

12. I'm really disappointed in some of these comments. There is no dignity in celebrating someone's death or making a joke out of it. Yes of course I hate Chick-A-Fil (or whatever it is, I'm English) as much as the rest of you. But I think we've always retained the moral high ground by fighting our battles with dignity and compassion.

Posted by: DanSwon | Jul 27, 2012 5:10:47 PM

13. Now you know this will be blames of the godless homosexual agenda!

Posted by: jaragon | Jul 27, 2012 5:15:38 PM

14. I don't feel ANY sympathy for this mans death. Am I supposed to? Or better yet, should I be fake and say I feel horrible for a man who's company mission is to destroy gays is destroyed himself?... Nope, still don't feel sad.

Posted by: Carlos | Jul 27, 2012 5:19:02 PM

15. YOUR QUEER MOUTHS ARE AS VILE AS YOUR ACTS I SEE YOUR TRUE COLORS COMING OUT. MAY GOD HAVE MERCY ON YOUR SOULS.

Posted by: BARI | Jul 27, 2012 5:19:46 PM

16. He should have prayed harder. Gee, hope Chik Fil A now holds a big prayer circle and prays he comes back to life (lol)

Posted by: Dr. bret | Jul 27, 2012 5:20:03 PM

17. One less homophobe in this world, that's my first and only reaction.

Posted by: Art Smith | Jul 27, 2012 5:21:25 PM

18. @ Mary,

First, I won't mince words about what opponents of marriage equality are proposing. They want same-sex marriages to be illegal. That means that if someone pays for social security insurance out of their paycheck throughout their working life, just like everyone else, their same-sex partner won't be able to receive any social security benefits. Nor will same-sex partners be entitled to private or government health care benefits as a spouse.

I'm certainly aware of arguments against marriage equality that are worded in very benign, positive terms. "It's for the good of society to deny same-sex partners benefits," etc. I just don't believe the people who use those arguments, not for a minute. It's an unfortunate fact of human existence that people lie, and I think that benign-sounding arguments against marriage equality are dishonest. I think that those who dedicate themselves to stopping marriage equality are simply motivated by the desire to cause injury and prejudice to people that they personally dislikes.

I expect that you will think me overly suspicious. The only alternative is to accept the argument that individuals are concerned with what they think is "for the good of society." All right, let's say I drop my suspicions and go with that argument. It should be obvious that it's not up to any one person, or any single American state, to decide the question. We have four states with marriage ballot initiatives in November: Maine, Maryland, Minnesota and Washington State. If we go with the "good of society argument," rather than my suspicions about people's motives, then we have to look for a consensus this November from four very representative American states. I'm certainly willing to discuss the results of those ballot initiatives with you, but I feel certain that the American nation is searching for a consensus.

Posted by: Artie_in_Lauderdale | Jul 27, 2012 5:21:49 PM

19. Wow... Karma is quick, fast and she exists for certain!!!

Posted by: Lisa | Jul 27, 2012 5:22:11 PM

20. Are gay people seriously supposed to mourn the death of the leaders of the new version of KKK? Good humans deserve my empathy. Rotten humans leaving this planet is chalked up as the circle of life. MANY people die every day. This man is no more special than them and in some ways, is far less worthy of attention.

Posted by: Collin TX | Jul 27, 2012 5:24:25 PM

21. This company had donated millions to the most anti gay organizations in the world, some of which truly are out for our genocide. Expecting the gay community to mourn the death of those who want us destroyed is laughable to me. I agree that the world needs less people like this and Dan Cathy in it.

Posted by: FanOfDance | Jul 27, 2012 5:26:15 PM

22. ALL THE POST ON THIS ITE ARE ABOMINABLE AS YOUR BELIEFS. UNBELIEVABLE THIS WEB SITE IS DISGUSTING AS YOUR QUEER MOUTHS ARE & AS VILE AS YOUR ACT & MIND. I SEE YOUR TRUE COLORS COMING OUT. MAY GOD HAVE MERCY ON YOUR SOULS.

Posted by: BARI | Jul 27, 2012 5:27:59 PM

23. They have the blood of every gay teenager that killed themselves on their hands. They have made themselves a staple of homophobia for years in the South, contributing to the hostile environment for gay youth. I could t care less one of them leaves this planet. They truly hav evil in their hearts, an those of us in the south know it!

Posted by: Lazerlightbeam | Jul 27, 2012 5:29:58 PM

24. Sorry, but he deserved to die IMHO.

Posted by: devon charles | Jul 27, 2012 5:40:09 PM

25. People die every day. I don't feel terrible when a human aligned with horrible humans dies. I feel sorry when a humane person dies. If I were to feel sorry for every person that died, good person or bad person, I wouldn't be able to leave bed. To suggest we HAVE to feel sorry for him.... No we certainly don't HAVE to feel anything. You Conservative can't control our feelings either, no matter how hard you try to control everything in our lives.

Posted by: 2Fathers | Jul 27, 2012 5:41:09 PM