Chick-fil-A | Deaths | News

Don Perry, VP of Chick-fil-A Public Relations, Dies of Heart Attack

Don_perry

Donald A. Perry, the Vice President of Corporate Public Relations for Chick-fil-A, has died.

WRBL reports:

Ross Cathy, the owner of the Midland, GA Chick-fil-A and family member of company CEO, Dan Cathy, tells News 3, Perry passed away this morning from a heart attack.

Chick-fil-A released a statement:

We are saddened to report the news to you that our dear friend Don Perry, vice president of public relations, passed away suddenly this morning.

Don was a member of our Chick-fil-A family for nearly 29 years.  For many of you in the media, he was the spokesperson for Chick-fil-A.  He was a well-respected and well-liked media executive in the Atlanta and University of Georgia communities, and we will all miss him.

Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Comments

1. You just knowwww if the PR guru for the KKK died of a heart attack, all these mother teresa wannabes on here attempting to guilt us into feeling sorry forthis guy would be the first to celerate that death. How is what Chik Fil A doing in contributing money to organizations that facilitate those who kill us abroad, who makes the lives of gays miserable here and who have said they want to destroy gay families any different than the KKK? Chik Fil A in some ways are worse than them considering the pull they have.

Posted by: Thiotes Tocalles | Jul 27, 2012 5:44:51 PM

2. @ Bari,

Last Sunday on HBO's "True Blood," some religious zealots were trying to convince the Eric Northman character to join their cause, and here's what Eric Northman said on prime-time national television:

"Never, you bible-banging c*nts!"

Bari, did it ever occur to you that you're living in the wrong country?

Posted by: guest | Jul 27, 2012 5:47:26 PM

3. I find it insulting that LGBT are constantly told to not react to our opressors. To "be the bigger person" which I hear people spew often. That right there is some homophobic BS spread by those who want us to be kicked and not fight back. It actually makes me MORE angry, not more gentle. Don't you dare tell LGBT in this day an age, where discrimination against them is celebrated, to not be reactionary. What, would you rather we bottle up inside and not react to bigots? You'd love that, wouldn't you. That way the bigots get to keep on being bigots without excessive pressure put on each of them.

Posted by: USC Trojans Fan | Jul 27, 2012 5:48:41 PM

4. Mary,

Stop coming on here and lecturing us about how to act accordingly to your values when YOU are not and have repeatedly stated you are not willing to give us full equality under the law. The very last person qualified to give advice to the gay community is someone like yourself who advocates for the discrimination of gay couples, gay families and gay children. You are NOT qualified dear.

Posted by: Truth | Jul 27, 2012 5:52:03 PM

5. Ohhh I'm sooo sick of the 'gays, you act like mother teresa and don't you dare get out of hand even when faced with extremist bigotry" sorry skrew that meme!!! These people are ruthless and deserve the same back. I don't care that the head of some brand that seeks to ruin the lives of gays is dead. I care about the gay child who took his own life because people like this and his brand ruined his life. *thats* who my sympathy is reserved for.

Posted by: Ryan M. | Jul 27, 2012 5:54:36 PM

6. I don't understand why this story is even here. I can't think of a way this relates to gay rights unless it's coming from a pretty petty place. A man died suddenly and unexpectedly, and that's very difficult for any family. I'm heartened by the kind comments wishing his family well. I'm dismayed by all the others.

Posted by: Stefan | Jul 27, 2012 5:54:47 PM

7. @ Ryan M.

I'm also noticing the trend of telling gays to consistently be the better person. I'm almost wondering if it's a sick ploy to get gays to be complacent when faced with homophobia? I've noticed a pattern here that regardless of the story, you'll have a few posters suggest the gay community not react harshly and be sensitive to the side of the bigots. I'm starting to wonder if they are really just trying to groom gays who will be indifferent toward issues that effect them, less silent, an as a result their voices louder and seeming like the majority

Posted by: Coolcat | Jul 27, 2012 5:59:04 PM

8. Mary... Go away you cunty troll. You think any self respecting gay person will take pearls of wisdom from you? You lonesome, unemployed, housewife who has nothing better to do than camp on gay sites and desperately attempt to make us as indifferent toward our issues a you choose to be? May this mans fate be yours in the near future.

Posted by: Dynex | Jul 27, 2012 6:04:02 PM

9. Mary,

You are the last person who should be telling LGBT how to react. Your Christian ilk is what is driving society into vile places.

Posted by: JP | Jul 27, 2012 6:05:56 PM

10. Mary-
    No, being opposed to gay marriage is NOT just a political difference in opinion. It's people's lives. Don't you dare trivialize the life and livelihood and freedom and rights of my gay brothers and gay sisters with your played out talking point. Anyone who doesn't support gay marriage is a bigot. You will be called a bigot. You will loudly be called a bigot to your face. Take ownership of it; it's who you are.

Posted by: Art Smith | Jul 27, 2012 6:09:21 PM

11. Oh I'm sorry, was this suppossed to be sad news? I was too busy being amused by the irony.

Posted by: Kevin Mendoza | Jul 27, 2012 6:11:43 PM

12. Would you demand the latino community to mourn the loss of someone who demonized them? No. You wouldn't

Would you expect black people to 'feel remorse' for an organization that worked hand in hand with other organizations that attempted to wipe their existence off this earth? You certainly would not.

I find it disgusting, truly repulsive, that we'r being asked to somehow feel sorry and pay tribute to people who are responsible for the misery gays around the world face. That sugests we're worthless.

Posted by: Steve-ATL | Jul 27, 2012 6:15:46 PM

13. But I thought God was on their side?

Posted by: CrispNClear | Jul 27, 2012 6:16:49 PM

14. Umm, in contrast, can we get a picture up of every gay child who killed themselves over homophobic bullying? Or moreover, a picture of every gay person who was the victim of an anti gay attack? Now THAT'S something to feel sorry and remorse for.

Posted by: Scholar Gillato | Jul 27, 2012 6:21:41 PM

15. Whoa, what hostility there is tonight! Can my critics here please remember that I am now PRO same-sex marriage (switched two months ago) and have contributed to several gay rights organizations. At least save your rage for actual opponents. I thought my posts made it clear that I was being critical of hypocrisy and foolishness on BOTH sides of the political fence. You can agree with a cause and yet still think that the wrong tactics are being used by its proponents. As Kiwi like to say (and some of my critics here are probably Kiwi under aliases) - learn to discern.

Posted by: Mary | Jul 27, 2012 6:29:56 PM

16. Why is everyone bending over backwards over a death. This guy was a creep, our enemy in a war that is being fought every day. People die every day and in wars people die. He chose who he worked for and if the stress of that job and a diet of junk food killed him that's his choice. Why is everyone apologizing in realizing this is one less bigot we have to fight? I couldn't care less about him or his family--he has friends and family who will do that. I am a stranger who this man and his firm have singled out for bigotry. The fact he wears a suit and a smile makes him no less a bigot than those of the past.

Posted by: LAXJFK | Jul 27, 2012 6:30:45 PM

17. maybe he ate too much batter dipped deep fried chicken sandwiches with mayo dressing and fried waffle fries

Posted by: chip | Jul 27, 2012 6:31:29 PM

18. @ Bari- Us queers have been murdered, beaten and abused by the hetero majority for too long. We are sick of it and are not going to sit by and let the abuse continue. You like to focus on how we have sex? Your mind is in the gutter. We are human beings who have a huge taxpayer supported enemy in the church.
    Pissed off human beings

Posted by: ty | Jul 27, 2012 6:46:37 PM

19. That's a very valid point. Why are gays required to feel bad when one of their opressors passes? Why are gays told to befriend people who work to strip them of their liberities an then convince them 'we simply have a difference in opinion'

I actually wish more gay people held on to their convictions and weren't timid in loudly stating their rights, anger and passion. We have every right to be passionate considering that our lives are used as a political football.

Posted by: IonMusic | Jul 27, 2012 6:48:59 PM

20. It is true that this man was an opponent of gay equality and there is no reason why gays should feel especially sorry that he's gone. And yes, people die every day. We certainly can't cry over all deaths. I was just trying to say that it looks bad to seem to be rejoicing over a death. Not asking anyone to be saintly (I'm no saint myself.)

Posted by: Mary | Jul 27, 2012 6:50:14 PM

21. No! I don't feel 'sorry' for this man. I don't KNOW this man. I don't know if he's worthy of my heart and emotions. I do know he didn't partner with good people, but my emotions and heart is reserved for people I know who have made a difference in my life. Like my granda in the hospital. That's who deserves my heartfelt sympathy. Not some stranger who worked for an anti gay orginization.

Posted by: Jeff Olvensky | Jul 27, 2012 6:56:52 PM

22. Another sudden death of a true Patriot who stood for conservative Christian beliefs. America? Are we awake to what is going on in the Nation. Perversion and disregard for our Holy God is mocked.....spit on by the homosexuals? Wrath is coming!!

Posted by: Susie Pingleton | Jul 27, 2012 6:58:30 PM

23. And you're going to feel it Susie. God knows you're muff-diver!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jul 27, 2012 7:07:21 PM

24. I agree with at least a few here. In this time, the family deserves - like anyone - respect and compassion in a time of loss. Repeat - we *ALL* deserve respect and compassion, period, especially in a time of loss. I disagree with Chick-Fil-A's public stands on many things, but the family deserves some basic silence and understanding in their time of loss. I can only hope they would do the same in return... history will tell.

Posted by: KC | Jul 27, 2012 7:15:20 PM

25. Christians have been saying god's wrath against gays caused deaths, tragedies and disasters for eons -- with the most bizarre and disconnected logic possible. And they were serious. It's a false comparison to equate that with any sarcastic remarks about this guy's death today. Frankly, this lightening bolt is about as clear and straight forward as god has ever been.

Posted by: William | Jul 27, 2012 7:45:25 PM