Chick-fil-A | Deaths | News

BigGayDeal.com

Don Perry, VP of Chick-fil-A Public Relations, Dies of Heart Attack

Don_perry

Donald A. Perry, the Vice President of Corporate Public Relations for Chick-fil-A, has died.

WRBL reports:

Ross Cathy, the owner of the Midland, GA Chick-fil-A and family member of company CEO, Dan Cathy, tells News 3, Perry passed away this morning from a heart attack.

Chick-fil-A released a statement:

We are saddened to report the news to you that our dear friend Don Perry, vice president of public relations, passed away suddenly this morning.

Don was a member of our Chick-fil-A family for nearly 29 years.  For many of you in the media, he was the spokesperson for Chick-fil-A.  He was a well-respected and well-liked media executive in the Atlanta and University of Georgia communities, and we will all miss him.

Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Comments

1. Working at Chick- fil-A can kill you?

Posted by: Mike | Jul 27, 2012 8:04:57 PM

2. Wow, so many trolls.

The irony here is of course that this man, with his faith and rightousness, will soon see that if he was right about heaven and hell, he won't find himself in heaven...

How long before the Breitbarts come up with some conspiracy? THE MILITANT GAYS KILLED HIM! OMG! OBAMA! DRONES! POISON! MICROWAVES!

As long as we're randomly speculating: What if he had a change of heart (ooh, pun!) and wanted to support the SSM cause, but was torn between that and his job/boss/whatever.
    Sounds stressful to me.

Posted by: Tanoka | Jul 27, 2012 8:33:08 PM

3. The'll blame the gays... but I know it's not nice, but I bet a lot of gays thought God answered their prayers! Yes, I blame the messenger, when he a paid Bigot.

Posted by: jerry Pritikin | Jul 27, 2012 8:49:17 PM

4. Why do people keep bringing up his family? Maybe his gay son is glad he's dead; or maybe he doesn't have any family. I guess we're all just awed by death being the great equalizer or something - because there is no reason to care that this guy died except that it's amazingly ironic and timely.

Posted by: Markt | Jul 27, 2012 9:54:18 PM

5. His life was devoted to destroying gays, so for me his life was worthless

Posted by: Jeff Olvensky | Jul 27, 2012 10:33:17 PM

6. Who cares? What the hell did this man do for the gay community- better yet, let's discuss how he's hurt us

Posted by: Olympian | Jul 27, 2012 10:34:52 PM

7. He supported a company that supported NOM with millions. NOM being the organization that said honosexuality and pedophilia are the same. People like him funded them. You will NOT get sympathy from us for him because most of us value our integrity more than 'respecting' a NOM ally!

Posted by: Tellie4Max | Jul 27, 2012 10:43:14 PM

8. Oddly that was done by the spirit of death which now attacks chic fil A for speaking so powerfully against its gay attack upon America! Even more strange the false spirit of death/satan has been found by Science and can be seen on the websites at http://www.adamandeveseedgatheringministry.com/about_us and on all pages of the website are many proved facts of this being God's our Lord Jesus Christs Epic day of Reconing/vengeance Deuteronomy 32:43 Respect to Chic Fil A's founder and vice president

Posted by: paul berry | Jul 27, 2012 11:13:11 PM

9. Also go to the prophecy and the signs page for evidence of the Minister of the site being so powerful he smites death/satan each day in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. The signs listed on the page were posted now three years ago and the signs listed there now fall each week as morning news such as the Japan quake and tidal wave, and the Washington D.C./Virginia Beach quake which our Lord brought on the same day as the unveiling of the martin luther king statue in D.C. { Which more quakes now come to V.Beach/D.C. as we speak } http://www.adamandeveseedgatheringministry.com/prophecy_and_the_signs contact the site for sounding and for answers or questions of the now soon inheritance Matthew 25:34

Posted by: paul berry | Jul 27, 2012 11:17:50 PM

10. I love karma... I really love it.

Posted by: Tarc | Jul 28, 2012 12:20:40 AM

11. Comforted as I am that he died without a priest, I hope he died roaring.

Posted by: caoimhin | Jul 28, 2012 12:49:34 AM

12. All good things must come to an end...

Posted by: anthonyj | Jul 28, 2012 1:47:39 AM

13. RIP... MY AZZ!

One down. Hopefully many more to follow.

Posted by: DeeperStill | Jul 28, 2012 4:04:20 AM

14. Schadenfreude may feel good but it carries a big price with our allies and potential allies.

Let me be clear. You have a right to your feelings. No one is asking you to mourn or feel sorry for this man's passing, please don't misrepresent others' posts to justify your over-dramatic full of vitriol rants. You hear what you want to hear, just like those on the other side...Let me ask you this. What is the best way to achieve our rights? Is it by being vindictive and hurling insults at a dead man or by respecting the pain his family and loved ones are going through and holding back the personal attacks at this point?

Chik fil-a is on record as trying to obstruct and destroy the possibility of GLBT people's equality in marriage. We have a right to be angry about their hurtful actions. I am not asking anyone to forget their policies. On the contrary, the best way to defeat Chik fil-a and those like them is by being adults with a strategy, not temperamental kids who spew insults at a dead man.

Can the following writes please quote the posters who asked them to feel or do the things they claim on their posts?

2Fathers writes: To suggest we HAVE to feel sorry for him.... No we certainly don't HAVE to feel anything.

Collin TX, writes: Are gay people seriously supposed to mourn the death of the leaders of the new version of KKK?

Carlos writes: Or better yet, should I be fake and say I feel horrible for a man who's company mission is to destroy gays is destroyed himself?... Nope, still don't feel sad.

FanOfDance writes: Expecting the gay community to mourn the death of those who want us destroyed is laughable to me.

Human rights is NOT a sport. Stop acting like it is.

Posted by: truthteller | Jul 28, 2012 4:44:32 AM

15. I find that Mary has demonstrated a spirit willing to learn and grow in spite of the harsh treatment from some members on this site.

I have disagreed with her in the past but she has spent time on this site and gotten to know some of us and she now supports marriage equality. That's progress and we should learn that some people genuinely want to do the right thing but lack information.

I celebrate your evolution Mary and look for more from you.

Posted by: truthteller | Jul 28, 2012 4:59:37 AM

16. @"Truth"teller

Are you saying the rest of us lies, and only you don't, are are you saying that you alone hold the only truth there is?

You seem very self-righteous to me.

Posted by: DeeperStill | Jul 28, 2012 5:10:54 AM

17. *OR* are you saying that you alone...

Posted by: DeeperStill | Jul 28, 2012 5:12:02 AM

18. truthteller,

spare us the lecture. You Miss America type gays always try to get on your soap box in these stories and lecture the community. We have every reason to react. You want us to dial it down. We certainly don't have to, and human nature dictates it healthy to express emotions and feelings and not constantly be role playing an act for politics. Sometimes it's appropriate if not NEEDED to tell someone off. You and your kind have no strategy, you have the same ploy in every circumstance
    "Sit down, have tea and a treat with hate mongers"
    in every circumstance, that's your vision of change. Sorry some of us don't live in a Pixar film.

Posted by: Realist | Jul 28, 2012 5:20:43 AM

19. @ Truth Teller
    while you preach about effective behavior, here's a little advice for you, most people don't follow orders or even tips from people who come off like entitled, pompous know-it-alls. You and your post take the crown for said traits. Reevaluate your own approach before you tell us to polish ours!
    Thanks.

Posted by: Art Smith | Jul 28, 2012 5:22:32 AM

20. Well said Art Smith! exactly what I was thinking in relation to 'truthtellers' post.

Posted by: RoxFreedomIce | Jul 28, 2012 5:23:21 AM

21. Well, I see I hit a nerve with the reactionaries who decided to attack me instead of hearing my point of view.

Realist even said: "You Miss America type gays always try to get on your soap box in these stories and lecture the community."

A Miss America type, really? And you don't find that misogynist in the least? Do you find women inferior and feel the need to use them as a slur to demean me?

"Sometimes it's appropriate if not NEEDED to tell someone off."
    Oh, big man you are, telling a DEAD MAN off. Delighting in others misery is just awesome of you.

You know nothing of me or my activism yet, from one post, you generalize and lump me in with 'You and your kind have no strategy, you have the same ploy in every circumstance
    "Sit down, have tea and a treat with hate mongers"'

I find your post really sad. I have marched on the streets, I have protested, volunteered, sent letters and raised money to benefit gay causes and to fight injustice. What have you done so I don't judge you from one post.

Art Smith chimes in with: "most people don't follow orders or even tips from people who come off like entitled, pompous know-it-alls."

ORDERS? I gave you orders? I suggest you take a reading comprehension course or at least a critical thinking lesson.

My posts are my opinion, they validated the anger we all feel about the actions of chik-fil-a. But of course it is more fun to react to something you think you read rather to what I actually wrote!

Let's just agree that you have the right to vicious attacks on dead people and I have the right to be disgusted by it and call you on it on this blog. Even if you find it to be "entitled, pompous know-it-all"

Posted by: truthteller | Jul 28, 2012 6:22:04 AM

22. @ Truthteller ("Truthteller"? A new username, perhaps?)

I understand your advice about not being gleeful about the death of people that you personally dislike. After all, Christianists have turned that into an art form regarding gay people, and I'm certainly not trying to imitate Christianists. If you'll go back to my replies to Mary, you'll see that I was noting that living a life guided by hate has bad effects on people's health and level of stress, not to mention that it makes the bigot a target of understandable negative reactions, which would increase their level of stress even more. The person would live a healthier, longer life if they changed their belief system. My suggestion is not hostile; it's just common sense.

Mary disagreed with me on the point of people's motives. She feels that opponents of marriage equality are not motivated by hate, but rather more sincere motives. I'm not sure whether she meant some, most or all of them. (And yes, I understand that Mary has recently decided to support marriage equality.) I replied that I think many opponents of marriage equality are being dishonest about their motives, and disguising hate with more socially acceptable arguments. I think they too would be adding stress to their lives unnecessarily.

Posted by: Artie_in_Lauderdale | Jul 28, 2012 8:08:26 AM

23. Good riddance! Hate killed this man! His heart blew up because he was such an SOB. Now he is no longer sucking on the same air that I am. Peace be with him???? Heck no!!! What a pathetic life he lived. PR lackey for a P.O.S. company! What a waste! Time for you to go! Um bye bye.

Posted by: texaspigeon | Jul 28, 2012 9:00:19 AM

24. I wish I was able to take the high road on this, but I can't. It makes me happy.

Posted by: John | Jul 28, 2012 9:03:43 AM

25. Religion is all about social control, and religion is finally losing its grip. On women, on gays, on young boys. There will be some social upheaval but doctrinaire followers are starting to sound pretty stupid. Mary, you clean up the catholic church, we'll take care of this.

Posted by: Rob | Jul 28, 2012 10:02:55 AM