Chick-fil-A | Deaths | News

Don Perry, VP of Chick-fil-A Public Relations, Dies of Heart Attack

Don_perry

Donald A. Perry, the Vice President of Corporate Public Relations for Chick-fil-A, has died.

WRBL reports:

Ross Cathy, the owner of the Midland, GA Chick-fil-A and family member of company CEO, Dan Cathy, tells News 3, Perry passed away this morning from a heart attack.

Chick-fil-A released a statement:

We are saddened to report the news to you that our dear friend Don Perry, vice president of public relations, passed away suddenly this morning.

Don was a member of our Chick-fil-A family for nearly 29 years.  For many of you in the media, he was the spokesperson for Chick-fil-A.  He was a well-respected and well-liked media executive in the Atlanta and University of Georgia communities, and we will all miss him.

Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Comments

1. Would I wish anyone's death? No. Is this sad for his family? Of course. Do I feel sorry for them? I can empathize. Do I feel sadness or hurt for the death of a stranger who was part of an organization that has contributed to untold pain and suffering to the LGBT community? Not particularly. Not as sorry as I feel for Mathew Sheppard crucified on a fence post, or the lesbian who had "dyke" carved into her stomach, or the teen in Florida who was set on fire or the transgender kid in San Francisco shot in the head or the thousands of LGBT youth living on the streets, thrown out by their own parents living by "biblical principles."

Is there delicious irony in this story? Of course.

Posted by: Michaelandfred | Jul 28, 2012 10:03:54 AM

2. I'm sure the man had just had the most stressful weeks of his entire career. Was it his having to justify his company's discriminatory policies that did him in? Maybe he was such a fervent believer in his own self-righteousness that being challenged by the rest of the world sent him over the edge. Or maybe he realized that his company's position was antiquated and he knew it had to change. Either way, there's a lesson here: carrying around a lot of hate isn't good for you.

Posted by: Fritz | Jul 28, 2012 10:54:08 AM

3. I see some of the religious "patriots" are posting on here. For one thing, God knows what you are doing. Trying to turn the Chick-Fil-A saga around on "the gays" as an attack on you is ridiculous. He sees that and will ask you about it at the gates of heaven. CFA started this when the owner decided to spout off with pride (God doesn't like that either) about their funding of anti-equality groups (God would rather you spend that money helping the poor). He made that comments and got "the gays" upset and they responded. So don't act like all of a sudden you were minding your own business and you were suddenly attacked for being christian. God knows what you are up to. Just like he knows you may be religious fundamentalists and guess what? He doesn't care! It isn't going to get you into heaven any faster and it doesn't mean those that aren't over-the-top in their views won't get in. So, bring it down a notch and stop judging others because God knows and he isn't happy about that.

You should also stop visiting gay websites...God will get you for that! Sarcasm.

Sidenote: if a homeless or really poor person walks into a CFA, do they turn them away for not being able to pay, or do they do God's work and feed the poor?

Posted by: GETALIFE | Jul 28, 2012 1:56:12 PM

4. Artie_in_Lauderdale,

I find it curious that you felt you needed to defend yourself from an attack on you I didn't make. I happen to agree with your positions and find your post well though out and non-hostile.

BTW My moniker, truthteller is just fine. Your use of quotation marks around it would have been a clever observation if I was making up facts or flat out lying, but I am doing neither. I am stating my opinion, which of course, you don't have to agree with. Your dig is a non sequitur.

Posted by: truthteller | Jul 28, 2012 3:52:57 PM

5. Stress...

Posted by: Mike | Jul 28, 2012 5:48:05 PM

6. That's hilarious. I don't care what anyone says; his timing was impeccable.

Posted by: Solomon | Jul 28, 2012 6:44:48 PM

7. Awww . . . tsk. He chose to have a family, and he had one. He was working to see that I couldn't make the same choice.

Posted by: Soren456 | Jul 28, 2012 8:14:23 PM

8. Wonder if Chik-fil-A management will see this as a sign they've been following the wrong path. If they adhere to Biblical teachings as they claim to, they will.

Posted by: Guy | Jul 28, 2012 8:32:10 PM

9. Good riddance Herr Goebbles!

Posted by: Lucifer | Jul 28, 2012 9:11:12 PM

10. @ Truthteller,

I didn't think you were attacking my comments at all. We can both see that you didn't mention my comments in any of your posts. I only thought you might find some interest in my point about people doing their health and stress level more harm than good by adopting bigoted positions and fighting against equality.

Yes, your username is just fine as is. You should use whatever username suits you.

Posted by: Artie_in_Lauderdale | Jul 28, 2012 10:20:31 PM

11. May this pr guy RIP.

Dan Cathy and his minions of gay-people-hating supporters are the real villians here. I don't want to presume too quickly that this pr guy meant or did bad--unless he did. If being forced to work for the cause of hatred stressed him out, honestly, schucks, that's a sign that he might have been a good, honest man--put in a situation where doing evil to gay people was foisted upon him.

One question: Did he try to stand up to Dan Cathy et al.?

In any case, my condolences to his family; a loss like this cannot be easy, and the family was probably ill-prepared for the public light his position working for hater Dan Cathy put him in.

Posted by: Just_a_guy | Jul 30, 2012 4:03:14 AM

12. I believe this is what's called "irony". Too bad for the family and friends. My condolences. But he couldn't have timed it better.

Posted by: Robert | Jul 30, 2012 3:45:32 PM

13. My thoughts are with his family, may they remember all the good times and dedication he had to them. May his family be comforted with this unfortunate loss and may people remember that though the company's stance is something we are against because of the invidious discrimination, they should still offer up prayers for his famil

Posted by: Terry | Jul 31, 2012 2:24:20 PM

14. Apparently Chick Fil A is not health food.
    Sorry for his family and their loss.

Posted by: Swiminbuff | Aug 2, 2012 11:22:40 PM