Chick-fil-A | Log Cabin Republicans | Mike Huckabee | News | Republican Party

BigGayDeal.com

Don't Turn a Chicken Sandwich into Public Gay Enemy Number One, Says Log Cabin Republican Executive Director

Queerhatin

Log Cabin Republican Executive Director R. Clarke Cooper weighs in on the Chick-fil-A controversy in a HuffPost piece:

Rclarke_cooperTurning a chicken sandwich into Public Gay Enemy Number One makes LGBT people look superficial, vindictive and juvenile -- everything that we as a community have worked hard to overcome. Remember, employers don't want drama queens on the payroll, military service is serious business, and marriage is not a right society grants to spoiled children. While in a perfect world our equality should not depend on our good behavior, in a world where our rights too often hinge on political reality, the way our movement conducts itself matters.

The "movable middle" moves both ways, and they don't like seeing people attacked relentlessly for their religion. Whatever the nuances, these voters see a man standing up for his beliefs against a politically powerful mob dead-set on driving him out of business. It's un-American, and when fellow conservatives are finally standing up and speaking out for marriage equality as consistent with the sober values of responsibility and commitment, splashing a popular American company with metaphorical chicken blood in protest is nothing less than friendly fire.

Even if marriage equality activists "won" and Chick-fil-A went out of business tomorrow, what would be gained? True, some businesses may hesitate to donate to antigay causes in the future, but LGBT people would have handed antigay organizations a weapon better than money can buy -- confirmation that gay people really are the thought police, willing and able to use the power of the state to impose our will on oppressed social conservatives.

Reminder: Tomorrow is Mike Huckabee's 'Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day'.

Comments

1. I'm definitely not convinced that a boycott is the way to go, but still - talk about your overwrought metaphors, LCR.

Posted by: Butch | Jul 31, 2012 12:53:57 PM

2. i call your bluff, John.

you think this boycotting and pressure on chick-fil-a will "do harm to the LGBT movement?"

ten bucks says you can't intellectually articulate specifically *how* and likely can't put a face to your claims, either.

you speak like a true cowardly troll.

right. "respect" you're asking us to respect the specific belief of someone that is INHERENTLY DISRESPECTFUL.

just because you never grew a pair doesn't mean the rest of us have to give up ours. we like 'em, thanks.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jul 31, 2012 12:55:03 PM

3. Another gay Republican who hates himself so much that he sees nothing wrong in supporting a company that gives money to groups whose members would have us killed if they could get away with it.

Posted by: jht | Jul 31, 2012 12:56:06 PM

4. Whatever Auntie Tom.

Posted by: Michael | Jul 31, 2012 1:06:41 PM

5. "The fight is never about grapes or lettuce. It is always about people."
    ~ Cesar Chavez on the grapes and lettuce boycott

Posted by: Ripped Mittens | Jul 31, 2012 1:07:58 PM

6. The light of day has been shown on the chicken people. They believe that because of the gays, God is going to smite this nation. What a fricking stupid thing to say.
    Do they have a scrap of proof that this will happen. Did the chicken man sit down and have a Starbucks Latte with the almighty. No and No. The chicken man is an arrogant fool. Actions and words have consequences, so let the market decide the fate of the chicken people and their company.

Posted by: Rob | Jul 31, 2012 1:08:49 PM

7. Chick-Fil-A merely expressed their opinion. Ya'll need to calm down.

Posted by: Stephan | Jul 31, 2012 1:09:56 PM

8. In a previous reality, the Log Cabin Republicans were probably Sonderkommanders at Teresienstadt.

Posted by: Ron | Jul 31, 2012 1:12:18 PM

9. What is wrong with these idiot Grubs (Gay Republicans) ?!!! Why are they so weak and spineless ? These morons are the reason we don't have equal rights. If we all stuck together we would have more power but these attentions-seeking fools want to be different just to get more attention from Mummy and Daddy.
    Stupid people like this should not be allowed to vote.

Posted by: Icebloo | Jul 31, 2012 1:12:27 PM

10. If you looked up the word "simpering" in the encyclopedia, guess whose face you'd see beside the definition? Cooper is a sniveling, self-loathing little sycophant who has and will never fit in anywhere. The Gays don't want him, the Rethugs don't want him, GOProud doesn't want him...he's all alone in the big, bad world. In the words of my gal pal Sarah, "Buck up!" He needs to grow a pair. If Dan Cathy had donated millions of dollars to the KKK and Neo-Nazi groups would he be telling black people to just hush up and Eat More Chickn?

Posted by: Gigi | Jul 31, 2012 1:19:25 PM

11. Much as I generally loathe these guys, I agree with them on this one. Mind you, I've been boycotting Chik-Fil-A for the last nineteen years that I've lived in the south to be aware of their existence and I will continue to do so until they cease and desist funding our opponents to the tune of millions of dollars a year. Trouble is, THAT legitimate concern is getting lost in the shuffle and this boycott is widely perceived -- in some cases even by the boycotters and public allies themselves, to say nothing of our adversaries and the public at large -- as being about the private beliefs of an individual rather than about the real harm this organization is doing.

I think this mischaracterization of concern arose primarily because widespread media attention/public awareness of this (long-ongoing) boycott followed on the heels of Cathy's recent public statements, so that's primarily where the focus has been. If we were better able to articulate the core of our concerns to the public at large than we have been, then I'd be overjoyed. As it is, the widespread perception seems to be that this is about the private beliefs of an individual, so you have this backlash against "thought police bullies" on the one hand and sympathetic politicians advocating for the power to block businesses based on the private beliefs of their owners which looks like a dangerous precedent for all of us.

Posted by: Shelly | Jul 31, 2012 1:20:40 PM

12. Gigi, you have to ask? You want to see the most racist scumbags in America you need only look to your closest gay republican.

they should be used as landfill.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jul 31, 2012 1:23:40 PM

13. The sandwich is fine. The company is evil. Ergo I am not buying the sandwich to fund the company. But thanks Log Cabin Republicans for playing our home game.

Posted by: Jeff | Jul 31, 2012 1:25:49 PM

14. @Stephan, they've done much more than that. They donate millions of dollars to anti-gay hate groups. If you want to give your money to a business that will in turn give it to groups who want to block your civil rights, then be my guest. Why not just donate your money directly to NOM? Same thing buddy.

"marriage is not a right society grants to spoiled children" - WTF does this even mean?

"they don't like seeing people attacked relentlessly for their religion" - Ugh. The rest of us gays don't like being attacked relentlessly for being gay. It's nice to know that LCR is more concerned about religious folk's right to denigrade us than they are about fighting for our freedoms.

Posted by: Luke | Jul 31, 2012 1:26:05 PM

15. Dear R. Clarke Cooper:

Go f*ck yourself. Likewise, your apologists on this thread.

Sincerely,
    me

The rest of you, watch this video. And tomorrow, ask for water.

Posted by: TJ | Jul 31, 2012 1:30:48 PM

16. the apologists on this thread, like Cooper, are intellectually stunted fools.

you know why *my* religious denomination never gets attacked? we give people no reason for attacking us.

"united church of canada - not f***ing your children since 1925" ;-)

yup. a person uses their religious beliefs to donate money to causes that promote prejudice and bigotry and divisiveness and then cries "victim!" when they get called out for it. and then boys with no balls who still beg for Bigotty Family Approval say "yeah, i'm not like those thought-police gays! i won't upset you!"

and that's why you're still crawling on your bellies in the mud.

in other news, the USA has a freakin' obesity problem. maybe we can take solace seeing that the people who will "continue" to support chick-fil-a will likely have some artery clogging to deal with in their near futures. so, yay.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jul 31, 2012 1:35:10 PM

17. "and marriage is not a right society grants to spoiled children." Oh, yeah? Kardashian.

Posted by: rob | Jul 31, 2012 1:39:45 PM

18. This is an ironic commentary coming from a man who wrote a whole column lamenting the decision by that even more American icon: the boy scouts. In fact, both situations are important in the struggle for full equality. While Chick-fil-A can do whatever it wants with its money, it's still working against a minority whose rights are suppose to be protected by the Constitution. If Mr. Clarke feels it's okay for a business to use its money to further discrimination while it's not okay for the boy scouts to discriminate, I think he needs to rethink his position. They are one and the same issue. But I suspect Republicans get money from Chick-fil-A but not from the boy scouts. As a wise man once said: follow the money.

Posted by: barryearle | Jul 31, 2012 1:40:22 PM

19. No amount of ridiculous verbage (a chicken sandwich, really, Mr. Cooper? You think that's what we're fighting? You're an idiot...you know EXACTLY who we're fighting, the man getting rich from that company) from this candy-ass can change facts. As if being the clown who sweeps up after the elephants isn't embarrassing and degrading enough for Mr. Cooper, he is laughably going to lecture people who haven't voluntarily tied themselves to the post to be beaten by their masters about not picking on one of his?

What or who is Mr. Cooper afraid of? Sorry pal, they fired the first shot, we fired back. I suggest you stop lecturing us, we think you're mealy and wormy anyway and this only adds to that perception. I suggest you spend the next year of your life, eating Chik-A-Fil and apologizing to the owner while you lick his shoes clean of the grease he steps in at his restaurants. It would be more productive for you and your ilk.

Posted by: Bart | Jul 31, 2012 1:47:09 PM

20. The non-stop anti-Chick-fil-A hysteria by left-wing fascists on this website made me and my boyfriend of 7 years to visit the closest Chick-fil-A location to Boston. It was rather far, but I had to do it to stand up to you, the gay fascist mob. By the way, the chicken sandwiches are delicious, and Chick-fil-A was by far the most popular eatery in the food court of that suburban mall. For your information, both my boyfriend and I are atheists, and we strongly support gay marriage. But the hateful, intolerant left-wing mob must be shown its place.

Posted by: AG | Jul 31, 2012 1:47:17 PM

21. After my boyfriend and I had our delicious meal I called up my dad to tell him and he said "So, what? I still don't love you, you f@g"

Then I called my mom and said "Guess what? The boyfriend and I just ate at Chick-Fil-A to show those fascist gay leftists that we're not like them!" and she replied "Do you think I care? You're a pathetic homosexual and I don't love you and you eating chicken sandwiches doesnt' change my opinion that you're a worthless c**sucker."

My family i awesome! Yay Republicans!

Posted by: AG | Jul 31, 2012 1:53:39 PM

22. Stupid liberals. It's not fascist to deny people rights and freedoms because of one religious belief. It's fascist to boycott an organization that supports denying right and freedoms to people based on one religious belief.

You liberals are stupid. My boyfriend and I love being atheists who eat chicken because our families don't accept us.

Posted by: AG | Jul 31, 2012 2:02:48 PM

23. John, somewhere in the deep South is a separate water fountain just for you. Why don't you go find it.

Posted by: Sean Maloney | Jul 31, 2012 2:05:30 PM

24. “First they came for the communists, and I did not speak out—
    because I was not a communist;
    Then they came for the socialists, and I did not speak out—
    because I was not a socialist;
    Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out—
    because I was not a trade unionist;
    Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—
    because I was not a Jew;
    Then they came for me—
    and there was no one left to speak out for me.”
    ― Martin Niemöller

Posted by: Derek | Jul 31, 2012 2:05:36 PM

25. The Log Cabin Republican's press releases are reading more and more like Onion parodies, garnished with lies about the gay-friendliness of their fellow Republicans, who reject tools like Cooper over and over again, yet they still come back for more, begging for scraps. Pathetic.

Chick-Fil-A donates millions to organizations that seek to deprive us of our civil and constitutional rights. (Handful of Moms etc. are free to boycott JC Penney, or Starbucks, or Amazon, or whatever they want, but none of those companies is seeking to deprive anyone of a single civil right.) The only strange thing would be to want them in our neighborhoods. Fortunately, I live where Chick-Fil-A would never dare to venture, but if they tried, I'd expect anyone who values equality to speak out against them.

Posted by: Ernie | Jul 31, 2012 2:13:54 PM