Video | YouTube

Filmmaker Jeremiah McDonald Is Interviewed By His 12-Year-Old Self: VIDEO

McDonaldFromTheFuture

Thirty-two-year-old Filmmaker Jeremiah McDonald has been making movies for a long, long time. On his YouTube channel you may find, among other things, his nine-year-old self battling ghoulish puppets on Super8, and his re-enactment, at age 14-ish, of a critical scene from Lord of The Rings.

When he was 12, McDonald recorded one half of an interview to be conducted with his older self at some point in the future. That was 20 years ago; McDonald has now resumed the conversation. The results are fun. Watch AFTER THE JUMP ...

Comments

1. I wish I had done that when I was a kid.

Posted by: Jay | Jul 7, 2012 3:10:25 PM

2. OMG. Brilliant! And hilarious. ;)

Posted by: ESA | Jul 7, 2012 3:23:58 PM

3. Personally, I thought it was kinda lame. I mean the idea was interesting but the way it was edited to try to make it cute just ruined it for me.

Posted by: Bill | Jul 7, 2012 3:29:43 PM

4. @Bill. Do Strangling puppies cheer you up?

Posted by: Sylvatica | Jul 7, 2012 3:50:02 PM

5. I wish a puppy would strangle Bill.

Posted by: KM | Jul 7, 2012 4:05:22 PM

6. Actually, I agree with bill...could have been cute but it was just kinda cheesy and too "self-aware". Ha.

Posted by: Brett | Jul 7, 2012 4:24:34 PM

7. Doctor Who jokes trump all taste. Very cool vid.

Posted by: lessthan | Jul 7, 2012 4:49:18 PM

8. Doctor Who is the best thing on TV. The kid had taste at 12 and the man at 32.

Posted by: yonkersconquers | Jul 7, 2012 5:46:05 PM

9. I wrote a series of letters to myself when I was 12 to be read at different intervals in my life. They were with my diary in a wooden box. My mother found them when I was in college, read them and threw them away. Guess she didn't like the part where I asked myself if I still masturbated.

Posted by: Tallulah | Jul 7, 2012 7:05:22 PM

10. How @BRETT, and other naysayers, would one interview one's self and not be self-aware?

I found it to be a wonderfully self deprecating piece, humorous, with subtle wit and insight on how we become who we are today.

The passing of time is so quick as to make our lives seem a blur, and we forget that our present position, where we are at, and who we are is a result of a lifetime of decisions, long forgotten, with a direct correlation to our twelve year old selves, which we would know and remember had we, like Jeremiah McDonald, taken the time to leave behind a little time capsule to remind ourselves.

FYI: the film, and Jeremiah are waay cute! He reminded me a little of Joseph Gordon Levitt . . . who I LOVE!

Posted by: Ricco | Jul 7, 2012 8:19:39 PM

11. I know Jeremiah a little bit ... we did some theater together. He's definitely smart, odd and one of a kind. :) Check out his Church of Blow videos sometime. Funny stuff. Glad he's gone viral -- he deserves it. Always seemed a very good person, too.

Posted by: MDK | Jul 7, 2012 9:49:48 PM

12. LMAO

Posted by: Booty | Jul 7, 2012 10:12:00 PM

13. Very clever. :-)

I am sure my folks have tossed all the videos that I made when I was 12. And certainly all the crazy cassette tapes that I would record.

I am happy that Jeremiah shared this. This video is a lot of fun.

Posted by: Holden | Jul 8, 2012 1:57:29 AM

14. Very clever and cool.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 8, 2012 10:34:35 AM

15. Nerd. And nicely done.

Posted by: Hmmm. | Jul 8, 2012 10:48:22 AM

16. Thanks for sharing such an interesting information.

Posted by: custom paper | Jul 8, 2012 1:05:21 PM

17. I suppose the same trick will work if he records now and again at age 52. This is a 7-and-Up self-made video of sorts.

Posted by: anon | Jul 8, 2012 2:41:34 PM

18. My family was poor & I was born before homevideo, we rented a tv till we had her several years then opted to buy weekly... Seriously I think this is an excellent idea but they've invented facebook & chatroulette, job done !

Posted by: Gordon | Jul 8, 2012 10:32:05 PM