Florida | Jennifer Carroll | News

BigGayDeal.com

Florida Lt. Governor Jennifer Carroll Apologizes for Saying 'Black Women That Look Like Me' Aren't Lesbians

Carroll

Florida Lt. Governor Jennifer Carroll has apologized for remarks she made to a reporter following a question about allegations that a former aide walked in on an intimate moment between Carroll and another woman, GLAAD reports.

Said Carroll to the reporter:

"The problem is that when you have these accusations that come out, it's not just one person you're attacking. It's an entire family. My husband doesn't want to hear that. He knows the type of woman I am. I mean, my kids know the type of woman I am. For twenty-nine years - I'm the one that's married for twenty-nine years. The accuser is the one that's been single for a long time. So usually black women that look like me don't engage in relationships like that."

Now she has apologized in a letter to Nadine Smith at Equality Florida:

"I would like to take this opportunity to express my sincerest apologies to anyone I may have offended with my recent comment. It is wrong and inexcusable to make a comment that hurts people, and that was not my intention. As a Christian, my faith guides me to love and respect all people. The false charges that have been lodged against me are no excuse for what I have said that may have been hurtful to members of your organization and to other Floridians. Please know that I am committed to treating every person with the utmost courtesy, respect, and dignity and I hope you will accept my heartfelt apology."

Comments

1. Where there's smoke, there usually is fire

Posted by: John Normile | Jul 27, 2012 8:52:37 AM

2. She's apologizing because she got caught! I love how these homophobes somehow "aren't thinking" when they make homophobic statements. No ...you had the same exact brain when you made homophobic statements as when you asked your publicist to apologize for it.

Posted by: Julez | Jul 27, 2012 9:14:37 AM

3. I really resent the uneven treatment that homophobia gets in this country versus racism. If anyone says the slightest racist thing, much less a politician....it's a national epedemic. If someone like this women makes bold faced anti lesbian remarks, she just simply apologizes for it in an email, and no media covers it. Disgusting.
    Racism is no more offensive than homophobia.

Posted by: Michelle | Jul 27, 2012 9:16:16 AM

4. A black female should know first hand what it's like to make blanket statements about people......yet.

Amazing how those who SHOULD know are often the ones who couldn't care less.

Posted by: Austinite | Jul 27, 2012 9:17:13 AM

5. Are apologies for bigoted statements becoming useless to anyone else? I'm hearing so many "apologies" lately that they've completely lost any sincerity. My new thought process is, don't make the comment so you don't have to apologize for it.

Posted by: Mark | Jul 27, 2012 9:18:32 AM

6. I too am getting to a point where I'm completely rolling my eyes at these apologies. They mean nothing to me. You made the comment, that is your heart, the apology is an after thought for damage control purposes.

Posted by: Dynex | Jul 27, 2012 9:19:27 AM

7. seriously, did she really make that first quote? i can't believe any grown adult would make a comment like that. was she on drugs?

Posted by: kitty | Jul 27, 2012 9:29:38 AM

8. what a lovely Christian. Goodness, these Christians are all sooo well spoken and kind (gag!)

Posted by: T.L | Jul 27, 2012 9:30:37 AM

9. she apologizes for perhaps offending, but she never once refers to her core belief that women who look like her can't be lesbians. would the words there is no one way for a lesbian to look stick in her throat?
    (and has she ever met condi rice, another non lesbian)

Posted by: bandanajack | Jul 27, 2012 9:31:21 AM

10. When this first came out, I didn't really understand what she meant. I thought maybe she meant she looked too much like a soccer mom or something to be a "sexual deviant". But I guess she really meant she was smokin' hot, which I think is the first time a politician has ever bragged about their looks. It's just really juvenile, regardless of the offensiveness of the statement.

Posted by: Brian | Jul 27, 2012 9:39:03 AM

11. Only a no class fool would make a statement like Carroll did.

And the race baiters on this site need to chill out.

Posted by: Mel Smith | Jul 27, 2012 9:47:52 AM

12. The race baiters don't have any class either.

Posted by: Kirk T. | Jul 27, 2012 9:51:37 AM

13. It's not race baiting. If a gay politician had made a statement like hers against black folks, you guys would be the first to belittle alll gay people, and bash the entire gay community. And don't for one second say otherwise.

Posted by: Amber | Jul 27, 2012 9:52:58 AM

14. She's the furthest thing from "smoking hot"
    Her skin looks grossly stretched, and she's got a stocky thick figure which just aint cute. and that hairline is that of a 60 year old man. She's right. she doesn't look like a lesbian. She looks like she's a dude.

Posted by: Truth | Jul 27, 2012 9:55:19 AM

15. Stop saying stupid stuff, and you won't have to apologize. Seems as if the new rule is: Say it, and if no one complains, goody, if so, then I can always apologize to those I MAY have offended, not for what I said, but to those who got offended. Geesh, can't even trust apologies anymore.

Posted by: DF | Jul 27, 2012 9:56:12 AM

16. Amber, you are clearly race baiting. "You guys"?

And no excuse for Lt. Governor Carroll's terrible behavior, but her comment was aimed at BLACK LESBIANS.

Now, why the hell you so upset? Huh??? Stop race baiting.

"you guys"? If that's not race baiting than I must be going insane.

Posted by: Kirk T. | Jul 27, 2012 10:00:24 AM

17. For those of you who don't dwell in the cesspool of towleroad racist comments, Michelle and Amber are just two of the many names used by NOM trolls. They are only here to stir up hatred between gays and blacks. Watch if this thread gains traction, you'll be inundated by dozens of names you've never seen before, each saying the same thing.

Except I think Amber may have blown a fuse or something, since her comment makes no sense. I think she meant to post that comment on a black website to stir up anti gay sentiment, which means the comment meant for towleroad is sitting on some black site somewhere, proving equally baffling to the readers there.

Posted by: Brian | Jul 27, 2012 10:25:58 AM

18. Can black gay posters stop defending black homophobes every chance they get? I mean, the myth is that every black person will defend every other black person, regardless of offense (aka OJ Simpson) I'm confused why anyone is defending this women, and using her race as a reason to defend her?

I'm half armenian, half greek. I don't support every Armenian or Greek person. Heck, there's so much about Greek politicians I hate, and much about Armenian culture I may not love. I don't stop myself frome xpressing it just because they share my ethnicity. I and many others don't get why some black people are so fast to defend each other no matter how bad one of them did something.

Posted by: Rameen | Jul 27, 2012 10:29:04 AM

19. @ Kirk T

Yes. "You guys" as in you black people. The same black people who often generalize all gays and the gay community, very very frequently at that. But then you're livid when people notice a pattern in your actions. Double standard much?

Posted by: Amber | Jul 27, 2012 10:30:37 AM

20. Uh oh, it's starting, get ready for a barrage of stupid made up comments. They're even giving themselves bios this time, like our armenian-greek visitor Rameen, whose mad at all of you defending this woman. Of course if you read the comments you'll see not one person has defended her, but it's in the NOM script so Rameen just types away!

Posted by: Brian | Jul 27, 2012 10:34:41 AM

21. who's, not whose in my previous comment, my bad.

And I said earlier that I wasn't going to get involved in the racist stuff anymore because it's overwhelming this site, but I meant I wasn't going to take on racist non-trolls like Rick and Ratbastard. For the NOM plants I think I actually serve a purpose since when I call them out they tend to go away. So I'm going to stick with this for awhile and see what happens.

Posted by: Brian | Jul 27, 2012 10:37:51 AM

22. "I and many others don't get why some black people are so fast to defend each other no matter how bad one of them did something."

Because too often the insult is against the entire Black race and not just the Black homophobe. It's the limited mind (or deliberately dishonest mind) of a White bigot that uses that strategy.

Also, if you're half Armenian just what are your feelings about Turks...in general?

Amber,

What is the f.cking "gay community?" Is it something just white to you? Fortunately, it never has been all white-- for if it was it would be as tired and dry as your Palinesque azz is.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 27, 2012 10:42:43 AM

23. Amber, 'double standard' is your last name.

Posted by: Mel Smith | Jul 27, 2012 10:46:49 AM

24. Derrick in Philly-

Funny how you can pigeon hole me with another female you don't like, but I can't catagorize blacks? So you think slamming a female while naming another female you don't like is okay? So your preceived racism of mine is bad, but mysoginy is okay. Got it!

Posted by: Amber | Jul 27, 2012 11:06:29 AM

25. Everything on these comments section these days is soeone saying something about blacks, black posters turning the story about how victimized all black people are, then racists coming in the mix, and the original story gets hijacked. So sick of it.

Posted by: Collins-road | Jul 27, 2012 11:07:55 AM