Evangelical Christians | Evangelicals | Frank Bruni | Michelle Bachmann | News

BigGayDeal.com

Frank Bruni Wonders What God Michele Bachmann Worships

Frank Bruni takes on Michele Bachmann's so-called 'Christian' faith in a searing piece in the NYT:

M_bachmannI’d like to meet that god, and I’d like to understand that Christianity.

After questioning her attacks on Huma Abedin, an aide to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, by suggesting she was part of the Muslim Brotherhood infiltrating America, and her previous attacks on vaccines, Bruni launches into Bachmann's attacks on Obama and gays:

Does it encourage gratuitously divisive condemnations of Barack Obama as “anti-American,” one of many incendiary phrases in her attacks against him in 2008? And does it compel a war against homosexuality waged with the language and illogic she uses?

She has said that gay men and lesbians are dysfunctional products of abuse and agents of “sexual anarchy,” and when the singer and songwriter Melissa Etheridge was battling breast cancer years ago, Bachmann helpfully chimed in: “This may be an opportunity for her now to be open to some spiritual things, now that she is suffering with that physical disease. She is a lesbian.”

Bachmann’s concept of Christian love brims with hate, and she has a deep satchel of stones to throw. From what kind of messiah did she learn that?

Much more at the Times. A must-read.

The Divine Miss M [nyt]

Comments

1. I agree with Michele's attacks on Islam. Islam is the type of religion that would hang us from cranes. Have you seen what happens in Iran?

Of course, I don't agree with Michele's comments on homosexuality. But at least she's not hanging us.

Posted by: jason | Jul 24, 2012 8:37:51 AM

2. Jason, if you really want to know what's real about Islam, you might start with Karen Armstrong's book, "Islam."

Posted by: Daniel Berry, NYC | Jul 24, 2012 8:50:35 AM

3. Michelle Bachmann is a poor place to go as a resource to learn about Islam - or almost anything else except a politician's cynical willingness to profit from the ignorance and bigotry of voters.

Posted by: Daniel Berry, NYC | Jul 24, 2012 8:53:37 AM

4. She has progressed from a right-wing conservative to a full-blown crazy person. I seriously believe she has mental health issues.

Posted by: Jack M | Jul 24, 2012 8:56:20 AM

5. Well, if you wish to sacrifice gay human rights at the altar of Islam, go right ahead. Just don't expect me to be part of your cabal.

Posted by: jason | Jul 24, 2012 8:57:11 AM

6. Jason....There is nothing that has ever come out of Michele Bachmann's mouth that I could agree with and you might want to rethink your prejudiced comment on Islam you apparently know very little about the religion or it's followers.

Posted by: lk | Jul 24, 2012 8:59:16 AM

7. Jason....There is nothing that has ever come out of Michele Bachmann's mouth that I could agree with and you might want to rethink your prejudiced comment on Islam you apparently know very little about the religion or it's followers.

Posted by: lk | Jul 24, 2012 8:59:21 AM

8. Jason....There is nothing that has ever come out of Michele Bachmann's mouth that I could agree with and you might want to rethink your prejudiced comment on Islam you apparently know very little about the religion or it's followers.

Posted by: lk | Jul 24, 2012 8:59:27 AM

9. I think Bruni's on to something -- perhaps we should start using the term "Exclusionary Christian" for people like Bachmann.

Posted by: Tom | Jul 24, 2012 9:00:12 AM

10. Most thinking people dismissed this sad, desperate, crazy woman long ago. Only the people of her district seem to be enamored by her instead of embarrassed. This is a daffy woman rabidly against homosexuality but cannot see the overt feminine tendencies in her own husband. This is a woman is speaks about freedom and America and Jesus but clearly, obviously and without question knows nothing about any of those. She a project of our reality TV culture...a base, ridiculous, ill-educated and selfish woman who believes if she can keep talking loud enough and long enough she'll be right.

That will never happen.

She just grows more idiotic by the day as if she's the only person not in on the joke.

If there is a hell, there's a special place reserved for people like Michelle Bachmann. The greatest irony must be that she can't even see how much she's pissed off whatever God she actually thinks in her addled-mind, she believes in.

Posted by: Bart | Jul 24, 2012 9:00:58 AM

11. Sigh. It's sad when professional trolls like Jason and Rick dictate the conversation at this site.

Posted by: endo | Jul 24, 2012 9:12:14 AM

12. @daniel berry: I agree that Karen armstrong's book is a good starting point for learning about Islam. among other things, it helped me understand that the basic beliefs are much different from what has evolved today into zealous fanaticism. In that sense, it's not different from Christianity.

And TOM: that's a good phrase, and probably needs less explanation for something like Restorationist or Dominionist. Thanks for the suggestion.

Posted by: gregory brown | Jul 24, 2012 9:31:56 AM

13. "I’d like to meet that god, and I’d like to understand that Christianity." No you wouldn't Frank... it is an absolutely terrifying place to be.

Michelle Bachmann's god is more like something out of H.P. Lovecraft - no one can worship such an evil, wrathful being and remain sane.

Posted by: Oz in OK | Jul 24, 2012 9:40:45 AM

14. Have I mentioned lately how much I adore Frank Bruni?

Posted by: Lucien | Jul 24, 2012 9:41:17 AM

15. I met God way back in Catholic grade school. He told me what they were saying about Him was total bullshite. He suggested I read the Gospel of John and in doing so I realized what the church was preaching couldn't be farther removed from what Christ taught. In fact the Church was exactly what Christ hated.

Thanks God. You most definitely saved me from killing myself.

Posted by: Michael | Jul 24, 2012 10:05:55 AM

16. The New York Times is actually quite homophobic. Its so-called gay-friendliness is simply a political ploy. It is known to avoid showing photos depicting male-male sensuality. I defy anyone to show me a photo from the New York Times which shows a scene of two men kissing, for instance. Go on, take up my offer.

As for Islam, it is a backward, primitive belief system that calls for the summary execution of gay people. Michele's right.

Posted by: jason | Jul 24, 2012 10:09:15 AM

17. Good question, excellent article.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jul 24, 2012 10:11:01 AM

18. Bachman's "gods" are fame & celebrity. At any price. The woman is mentally ill, there's just no doubt about that.

Posted by: hugo | Jul 24, 2012 10:11:20 AM

19. I really don't understand how this is the only job in the world that you can't get fired from. Bachmann is literally unemployable. She is a stark raving lunatic who really needs help. She certainly shouldn't be anywhere near an intelligence commitee.

Posted by: paul | Jul 24, 2012 10:12:13 AM

20. Another excellent book is No God But God by Reza Aslan.
    I thought the key quote from the article was actually Cory Booker's: "Before you speak to me about your religion, first show it to me in how you treat other people. Before you tell me how much you love your God, show me in how much you love all His children."

Posted by: kit | Jul 24, 2012 10:49:19 AM

21. The answer to Bachmann's fundamentalist Christianity and to fundamentalist Islam is the same: secular government, civil equality, democracy, religious freedom, and education.

Posted by: BobN | Jul 24, 2012 10:53:54 AM

22. She's an antiChrist like all 'religious' antigays.

When the bible says not to judge, 'religious' antigays say it's 'freedom of speech' or 'freedom of religion'.

When Christ gave the commandments to love God AND love thy neighbor as thyself, 'religious' antigays put up discrimination laws against others and set DOMA as the highest federal laws above all state laws to discriminate.

Posted by: Simon | Jul 24, 2012 10:55:11 AM

23. I hear dogs barking and cats growling....oh wait! The Mi-shrill Bachman is speaking. She offends the animal kingdom with her glass-breaking voice and zombie brain-eating ways.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Jul 24, 2012 11:19:56 AM

24. I am glad that people are finally questioning Bachmann's "faith". I always refer to her as "pseudo-religious" because no truly religious person is at hateful as this very sick, crazy woman. What Bachmann represents is Christo-fascism, not real religion. Bachmann's goal is to impose her religious beliefs on all of us, and to merge religion and government into one entity like they have in Iran. As far as I am concerned, this witch can go pound sand!

Posted by: Joe from Boston | Jul 24, 2012 11:29:15 AM

25. It truly baffles me that the people of Michele Bachmann's district have re-elected her over and over again. Even if you remove her homophobia from the equation I'd be embarrassed to say that Bachmann "represents me" in any shape and form, that her small-mindedness and paranoia reflect my values, that she speaks for me.

That she's often referred to in comments as "Crazy Eyes" Bachmann isn't coincidence or just name-calling with no basis in reality. Michele Bachmann, like many who have taken religion to a dark, obsessive place, has an odd inward-looking gaze that lead one to suspect that whatever it is she sees it's not the mutually agreed-upon reality (most of) the rest of us see. Her view of the world is filtered through a disordered mind, a place where disembodied voices whisper dark conspiracies and "enemies" lurk behind every tree. When Upton Sinclair said that when Fascism came to America it would be wrapped in the flag and carry a Bible he was describing Michele Bachmann to a T.

Posted by: Caliban | Jul 24, 2012 11:49:15 AM