Frank Bruni Wonders What God Michele Bachmann Worships

Frank Bruni takes on Michele Bachmann's so-called 'Christian' faith in a searing piece in the NYT:

M_bachmannI’d like to meet that god, and I’d like to understand that Christianity.

After questioning her attacks on Huma Abedin, an aide to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, by suggesting she was part of the Muslim Brotherhood infiltrating America, and her previous attacks on vaccines, Bruni launches into Bachmann's attacks on Obama and gays:

Does it encourage gratuitously divisive condemnations of Barack Obama as “anti-American,” one of many incendiary phrases in her attacks against him in 2008? And does it compel a war against homosexuality waged with the language and illogic she uses?

She has said that gay men and lesbians are dysfunctional products of abuse and agents of “sexual anarchy,” and when the singer and songwriter Melissa Etheridge was battling breast cancer years ago, Bachmann helpfully chimed in: “This may be an opportunity for her now to be open to some spiritual things, now that she is suffering with that physical disease. She is a lesbian.”

Bachmann’s concept of Christian love brims with hate, and she has a deep satchel of stones to throw. From what kind of messiah did she learn that?

Much more at the Times. A must-read.

The Divine Miss M [nyt]

Comments

1. jason says

I agree with Michele’s attacks on Islam. Islam is the type of religion that would hang us from cranes. Have you seen what happens in Iran?

Of course, I don’t agree with Michele’s comments on homosexuality. But at least she’s not hanging us.

2. Daniel Berry, NYC says

Michelle Bachmann is a poor place to go as a resource to learn about Islam – or almost anything else except a politician’s cynical willingness to profit from the ignorance and bigotry of voters.

3. says

Jason….There is nothing that has ever come out of Michele Bachmann’s mouth that I could agree with and you might want to rethink your prejudiced comment on Islam you apparently know very little about the religion or it’s followers.

4. says

5. says

6. Bart says

Most thinking people dismissed this sad, desperate, crazy woman long ago. Only the people of her district seem to be enamored by her instead of embarrassed. This is a daffy woman rabidly against homosexuality but cannot see the overt feminine tendencies in her own husband. This is a woman is speaks about freedom and America and Jesus but clearly, obviously and without question knows nothing about any of those. She a project of our reality TV culture…a base, ridiculous, ill-educated and selfish woman who believes if she can keep talking loud enough and long enough she’ll be right.

That will never happen.

She just grows more idiotic by the day as if she’s the only person not in on the joke.

If there is a hell, there’s a special place reserved for people like Michelle Bachmann. The greatest irony must be that she can’t even see how much she’s pissed off whatever God she actually thinks in her addled-mind, she believes in.

7. gregory brown says

@daniel berry: I agree that Karen armstrong’s book is a good starting point for learning about Islam. among other things, it helped me understand that the basic beliefs are much different from what has evolved today into zealous fanaticism. In that sense, it’s not different from Christianity.

And TOM: that’s a good phrase, and probably needs less explanation for something like Restorationist or Dominionist. Thanks for the suggestion.

8. Oz in OK says

“I’d like to meet that god, and I’d like to understand that Christianity.” No you wouldn’t Frank… it is an absolutely terrifying place to be.

Michelle Bachmann’s god is more like something out of H.P. Lovecraft – no one can worship such an evil, wrathful being and remain sane.

9. Michael says

I met God way back in Catholic grade school. He told me what they were saying about Him was total bullshite. He suggested I read the Gospel of John and in doing so I realized what the church was preaching couldn’t be farther removed from what Christ taught. In fact the Church was exactly what Christ hated.

Thanks God. You most definitely saved me from killing myself.

10. jason says

The New York Times is actually quite homophobic. Its so-called gay-friendliness is simply a political ploy. It is known to avoid showing photos depicting male-male sensuality. I defy anyone to show me a photo from the New York Times which shows a scene of two men kissing, for instance. Go on, take up my offer.

As for Islam, it is a backward, primitive belief system that calls for the summary execution of gay people. Michele’s right.

11. paul says

I really don’t understand how this is the only job in the world that you can’t get fired from. Bachmann is literally unemployable. She is a stark raving lunatic who really needs help. She certainly shouldn’t be anywhere near an intelligence commitee.

12. kit says

Another excellent book is No God But God by Reza Aslan.
    I thought the key quote from the article was actually Cory Booker’s: “Before you speak to me about your religion, first show it to me in how you treat other people. Before you tell me how much you love your God, show me in how much you love all His children.”

13. BobN says

The answer to Bachmann’s fundamentalist Christianity and to fundamentalist Islam is the same: secular government, civil equality, democracy, religious freedom, and education.

14. Simon says

She’s an antiChrist like all ‘religious’ antigays.

When the bible says not to judge, ‘religious’ antigays say it’s ‘freedom of speech’ or ‘freedom of religion’.

When Christ gave the commandments to love God AND love thy neighbor as thyself, ‘religious’ antigays put up discrimination laws against others and set DOMA as the highest federal laws above all state laws to discriminate.

15. woodroad34 says

I hear dogs barking and cats growling….oh wait! The Mi-shrill Bachman is speaking. She offends the animal kingdom with her glass-breaking voice and zombie brain-eating ways.

16. Joe from Boston says

I am glad that people are finally questioning Bachmann’s “faith”. I always refer to her as “pseudo-religious” because no truly religious person is at hateful as this very sick, crazy woman. What Bachmann represents is Christo-fascism, not real religion. Bachmann’s goal is to impose her religious beliefs on all of us, and to merge religion and government into one entity like they have in Iran. As far as I am concerned, this witch can go pound sand!

17. Caliban says

It truly baffles me that the people of Michele Bachmann’s district have re-elected her over and over again. Even if you remove her homophobia from the equation I’d be embarrassed to say that Bachmann “represents me” in any shape and form, that her small-mindedness and paranoia reflect my values, that she speaks for me.

That she’s often referred to in comments as “Crazy Eyes” Bachmann isn’t coincidence or just name-calling with no basis in reality. Michele Bachmann, like many who have taken religion to a dark, obsessive place, has an odd inward-looking gaze that lead one to suspect that whatever it is she sees it’s not the mutually agreed-upon reality (most of) the rest of us see. Her view of the world is filtered through a disordered mind, a place where disembodied voices whisper dark conspiracies and “enemies” lurk behind every tree. When Upton Sinclair said that when Fascism came to America it would be wrapped in the flag and carry a Bible he was describing Michele Bachmann to a T.

18. jamal49 says

JASON, honey, while it’s really nice and wonderful that in this country of free speech you can come to Towleroad and express yourself, even if it is done from the deepest recesses of your pathetic, immature and very Bachmann-like brain.

However, as someone above suggested, you might try and do just a little bit more research that what you glean from FOXNews and read up a little more on Islam. Karen Armstrong is an excellent author to start. She is an excellent writer and has written scholarly, readable, very interesting books on the subjects of Islam and its Prophet.

I live in a neighborhood that is populated with a multitude of people from South Asia and North Africa. They mostly are Muslim. Some are quite conservative. But, many are not and have a very gentle “live and let live” attitude. All are quite friendly and, like you or I, struggling to get by in this life amid difficult times.

Jason, you can point to the extreme expressions of Islam and one could say, well, maybe that is the sum of that religion.

But it’s not. Islam is not monolithic and within Islam are many sects that do not subscribe to the extremely-conservative Islam such as that of Saudi Arabia or Iran (each of whose sect of Islam (Sunni/Sh’ia) considers the other the “enemy” and heretical).

Check out the Sufis if you want to understand that not all of Islam is as extremist or reactionary as you think.

I had a long talk on the train this Sunday past with a Muslim man from Tunisia who has lived and worked in America since 1997, is on the path to U.S. citizenship, who is married with two children and he supports marriage equality for same-sex couples.

His comment was “religion is such a personal thing; how can it get mixed up with politics which is all about opportunism and saying what you think will get you elected not what you actually believe?”

He then said, “I don’t think any one book or any one man knows the mysteries of God enough to say that God did not have a purpose for people to be born gay. God does what God does and I don’t think any of us should ever doubt that God has His reasons. God is love and everything in this universe He has created is from God’s love.”

Grow up, Jason. Try and get other viewpoints. Learn. Otherwise, go somewhere else. Maybe go back outside and play in the sandbox.

As my favorite adage from back in the day states (to all those “christians” such as Michelle Bachmann and yourself):

“May the Baby Jesus Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Mind.”

19. says

Bachmann is just the latest example of the homegrown fear-mongering our country has been subjected to in the decade following 9/11. These are NOT allegations to be played with in today’s society where dissidence is not being tolerated and minorities are being held without trial. As an elected official, Michelle should be leading by example not spewing her own form of politicized terrorism. You can read much more about living in this Orwellian society of fear and see my visual response to these measures on my artist’s blog at http://dregstudiosart.blogspot.com/2011/09/living-in-society-of-fear-ten-years.html We must acknowledge this type of bigotry erodes our freedoms from the inside out for ALL races of Americans.

20. says

I have to ask what country Bachmann thinks she’s living in, where she gets to determine which are good religions and which are the bad, freedom of religion means you get to practice or not practice any religion you want without government interference. She is a bit like Joe McCarthy in the 1950’s, making unfounded accusations where she damages the people she is accusing, I can only hope her constituents vote her out when her term is up.

21. andrew says

Bachmann worships the god of the bible, yahweh. Get out a bible and read what it says about that jealous and murderous diety. Really read the OT, if you dare and then explain the words and deeds of Yahweh.

22. WorksEm says

Amazing to me how the oppressed always find a way to oppress . And sure enough the biggest bully of them all, “God”, has always got something to do with it. And the hubris of those “who believe”. Such nonsense.

23. Sam Preston says

I was very impressed by Mr. Bruni’s column in the Times this past weekend. The subject of sacrifice for the good of all. I had just turned 11 yrs old when Pearl Harbor was attacked. Every person I knew was active in supporting the war effort. Those as young as 10 years old were made active in some manner. The result of those times made me very aware of the problem of lack of citizen participation during the past two wars, Iraq and Afghanistan. It is beyond my comprehension that taxes were cut several times by the Previous Admistration. Income taxes were very high at the top levels after WWII, even into the middle fifties. The complete lack of involvement by the general population, other than building fortunes and allowing our young men to be sacrificed at the alter of political gain and financial profit, in my opinion is unconscionable. It is the single most glaring failure of our times. Shame on us all!!!

24. Sam Preston says