AIDS/HIV | Magic Johnson | News

Gawker Offers Large Sum of Money for Identity of Person Who Transmitted HIV to Magic Johnson

Gawker is offering a payday for information they feel is missing from PBS's Frontline documentary, AIDS in Black America: the identify the person who transmitted HIV to Magic Johnson.

Writes AJ Daulerio:

Magic_johnsonAbout three years ago, while I was editor at Deadspin, there was talk of a Hollywood Babylon-level conspiracy that was making the rounds in the LA nightlife scene. The story went that Magic, like most of his Los Angeles Lakers teammates, was caught up in so many orgiastic LA house parties and had so many random groupie f**k-buddies that tracking down Magic's female Patient Zero would be almost impossible. But then, another source said that Magic's ex-teammate, Norm Nixon, had started floating a different scenario: that Magic most likely contracted HIV during an infamous sex party at Eddie Murphy's mansion, where often times, transexual hookers were involved.

Obviously, Murphy's transsexual, uhm, "interests" were already publicized after his embarrassing pull-over incident in 1997. Our source pressed a little bit and never tracked down Nixon, but said he had other people willing to verify Magic's non-female proclivities on the record. The source would only do so for a large sum of money that was too expensive for Gawker Media, let alone Deadspin.

The female-to-male HIV statistics from that time suggest even with Magic's super-sized sexual prowess, he was still in a very, very small percentage...

...If anyone has any more information about who gave Magic Johnson HIV, please feel free to contact us. I think we can afford to pay more money for this now.

So much for the new age of 'quiet' outing.

Comments

1. Wow...is Gawker trying to compete with Bryan Fischer?

Posted by: Rick | Jul 12, 2012 11:09:38 AM

2. Wow...is Gawker trying to compete with Bryan Fischer?

Posted by: Rick | Jul 12, 2012 11:09:39 AM

3. @Michael: No need to spread misinformation. Of course you can be infected by topping. It's just less likely than if you're bottoming. If you don't believe me, read the medical literature, which to my mind is a little more reliable than your anecdote.

If you made a habit of topping positive men bareback, and you're not infected, then lucky you. No need to encourage others to do anything so risky, especially now that infection rates are spiking again. Bottom line: use condoms, and get tested regularly.

Posted by: BABH | Jul 12, 2012 11:16:50 AM

4. Magic is a sparkling positive star and leader in the community here in L.A., and who cares how he got HIV? He's a great advocate for the HIV community as well, and doesn't care if somebody is straight, gay, black, or white. We need more like him!

Posted by: Jim | Jul 12, 2012 11:30:06 AM

5. A tranny hooker orgy at Eddie Murphy's house? Damn, the 90's must have been totally awesome.

Posted by: Steve | Jul 12, 2012 11:31:35 AM

6. Who is responsible for transmitting HIV to Magic Johnson? HE is, for not wearing a condom.

Now pay up, betches!

Posted by: endo | Jul 12, 2012 11:40:52 AM

7. Lying or not, he's paid his price and paid his dues. Leave the man alone.

Posted by: Yeek | Jul 12, 2012 12:13:07 PM

8. While I agree that this is pretty scuzzy on Gawker's part, I am kind of puzzled by the reaction here.

The reason I am puzzled is that so many of you seem so bloodthirsty in most instances when it comes to a celebrity pretending to be entirely heterosexual when he is not. And certainly it would be a huge revelation if one of the biggest names in the history of professional sports were revealed to be something other than purely heterosexual....and was lying about having been infected through sex with a woman in order to remain in the closet, when in fact he had been infected through sex with a man.

Is the reason some of you are offended by this and not by other such attempts at outing of celebrities that he is HIV-positive? Given that he has his infection well under control, why does that make such a big difference?

Just curious.

Posted by: Rick | Jul 12, 2012 12:30:10 PM

9. What I want to know is how he's maintained his health, since he got the disease before major treatments were available. I suppose he caught it early. People were fully expecting him to die from the disease.

Posted by: anon | Jul 12, 2012 12:48:53 PM

10. LOL! Knew it was a Rick post by the end of the first sentence.

Never miss an opportunity to question and belittle gay folks. YOU GO, GURLFRIEND!!! (3 snaps up)

Posted by: endo | Jul 12, 2012 1:02:07 PM

11. Dear Gawker, thanks for making me NEVER look at your site again. Truly low...

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Jul 12, 2012 1:25:43 PM

12. This is awful. Seriously.

Posted by: reality | Jul 12, 2012 1:32:49 PM

13. There's all kinds of things whirling around here: the extra publicity the post engenders, the purple elephant in the room, the chances of catching HIV as a pure top. My initial reaction was being protective of Johnson. Now, there's a million questions.

Posted by: Cinesnatch | Jul 12, 2012 1:54:31 PM

14. Hey Rick did you get HIV from a man or woman? Oh I forgot you are still a virgin .

Posted by: Kim | Jul 12, 2012 2:03:30 PM

15. One of the new "gay" writers at Gawker frequently posts crap that's really enraging- one piece was about how bullying and harassment only makes one better ( odd point to make - there are many ways to build character and morals in kids without demeaning/harassing them) and then a post about how he slept around all Pride month.... Like if one practices safe sex-fine, do what all the straight guys do and f*ck someobe new each night but most of us don't care to hear about your sexapades. Which were quite boring and reads as very narcissistic.

Anyways, I still read Gawker - but they need to clean up their act.

Posted by: Scott | Jul 12, 2012 2:14:08 PM

16. I don't care about Magic Johnson or where/how he got infected. It's none of my business. Knowing where/how he got infected is not going to affect my life at all.

Posted by: Icebloo | Jul 12, 2012 2:55:43 PM

17. Are we certain Time Warner doesn't still own AOL?

Posted by: Garst | Jul 12, 2012 2:58:19 PM

18. AJ Daulerio is a tool. Totally disrespectful.

The person he contracted HIV from my very well be dead. I doubt (if it was a sex worker) that they had anywhere near enough money to pay for healthcare back then and they could have very well already had AIDS in the first place.

Total lack of respect for the millions of people that have died because of this virus.

Posted by: Cody | Jul 12, 2012 3:20:44 PM

19. Well, the only two responses I got were predictable personal attacks, so I guess he gets a pass because:

a) HIV+ people always get a pass for being in the closet or

b) He has been a good "ambassador" for HIV-infection (and/or a "good liberal" and "good Democrat"), which lets him off the hook for being closeted, or

c) He is too valuable as "proof" that HIV/AIDS is not a "gay disease" and his propaganda value would be compromised if it were discovered that he had, in fact, gotten infected through same-sex interaction rather than contacting the virus from vaginal intercourse....so for that reason, any attempt to "out" him should be abandoned.

Does that about cover it?

Posted by: Rick | Jul 12, 2012 3:27:58 PM

20. Magic is 100% straight! He didn't get HIV by having sex with men... he got it by having sex with some woman. And it was just a coincidence that he married his long lost "high school sweetheart" Cookie just a few weeks before making his public announcement back in 1991. Magic has always been 100% heterosexual... he even said so on the Arsenio Hall show and everyone applauded! His exact words were, "As you know, Arsenio, I'm VERY heterosexual..." Anyone who denies these facts is trying to tear down Magic, because if these facts are not so, then Magic is a dishonest, self-hating gay person.

Posted by: TANK | Jul 12, 2012 3:46:08 PM

21. @Rick:

d) No one here likes you nor takes you seriously, so no one can be bothered to write a serious response to you.

THAT covers it.

Posted by: endo | Jul 12, 2012 3:48:57 PM

22. Fenrox:

Sorry -- I haven't written for Gawker in almost a year. I authored maybe half a dozen posts for them, but the only reason we teamed up at all was a scoop I had about the takeover of a Catholic Archdiocese by a literal gay mafia. (The resulting story was called "The Catholic Church's Secret Gay Cabal." I didn't write the headline.) Sexual hypocrisy has always been one of my beats, and I thought the story was important. Alas, it was too sleazy to go in a more, ahem, morally upright publication. I'm pleased it was published somewhere.

As to the offering of money to find out about Magic's sexual partners -- gross, immoral, cruel. I'm a little curious about what in my work at Towleroad has made you think I'd feel differently.

- BKT

Posted by: Brandon K. Thorp | Jul 12, 2012 7:37:01 PM

23. @Brandon- love your work- forget the haters. Thanx for all you do!

Posted by: scott | Jul 12, 2012 9:03:39 PM

24. SHAME on Gawker. They should crawl back under the rock from whence they came!!!

Posted by: andrew | Jul 13, 2012 12:55:47 AM

25. I think it's a legitimate question. I never believed he contracted the disease from a woman.

Posted by: marc | Jul 17, 2012 3:14:27 AM