Gay Marriage | News | Television

BigGayDeal.com

'Good Times' Actor J.J. Walker: I'm Against Gay Marriage and I'll Be Seen as an Idiot For It

Actor J.J. Walker, star of the 70's sitcom Good Times, appeared on CNN to plug his memoir titled after his 'GT' catchphrase 'Dyn-o-mite', and was asked about his stance on gay marriage:

WalkerCNN: You're also against gay marriage.

Walker: Yeah I am. There's just certain traditions that need to be upheld. I'll give you the other side of it, no it doesn't affect me, no it doesn't change my life. There's just traditions that need to be dealt with. I'm a believer that gay marriage should be passed because the battle is not worth the war. The gay lobby is very loud. I'm totally against it. In 100 years from now, people are going to go, 'Who was against gay marriage?' And I'll be one of those idiots and say, 'That's me.' I'm just against it on moral grounds, that's it. I'm as much a heathen as anybody. I just don't believe on moral grounds it should be done. I don't like it, I don't accept it.

Comments

1. He clearly said it doesn't affect him.
    "I'm a believer that gay marriage should be passed"
    He supports legalizing gay marriage though he doesn't accept it on moral grounds.
    I see nothing wrong with it. One can agree to disagree.

Posted by: simon | Jul 16, 2012 7:25:48 PM

2. DY-NO-MITE! Another celebrity or relative-of-celebrity comes out against equal marriage. This quote is weird, though, because he's basically saying it should pass, even if he doesn't agree with it. It's hard to really fault him... if only all our opponents could say, I don't like it, but pass it anyway.

Posted by: graphicjack | Jul 16, 2012 7:26:13 PM

3. Sounds like the author of "DYN-O-MITE!" needs some attention... zzz

Posted by: Paul Leary | Jul 16, 2012 7:32:13 PM

4. His position is the same as the Republican senator in New York who voted for gay marriage. He also said he believes only in "one man one woman" marriage. Actually it is kind of courageous that he did the right thing despite the fact he disagreed with it.

Posted by: simon | Jul 16, 2012 7:35:39 PM

5. Who is this crack head?

Posted by: MCnNYC | Jul 16, 2012 7:35:49 PM

6. I don't think we have to wait 100 years to say this guy is an idiot. We can say it now.

Basically what he says is he's against gay marriage but he doesn't really know why. What a moron !

Why are black men so scared of gay people ? What's gone wrong with education in this country ?

Posted by: Icebloo | Jul 16, 2012 7:39:17 PM

7. MCNNYC, that's a highly inappropriate comment. I take great offense to it. I know you're literate enough to read the post so you can easily answer your own question. Your comment was nothing more than a chance to take a racist potshot at a black person.

If we, as a community, are unwilling to help the black community, whether gay or straight, why should they want to help us? Even if your initial response to that question is "well they are anti-gay," I should hope that you'd be willing to be the bigger person.

Posted by: John | Jul 16, 2012 7:43:02 PM

8. um who?

Posted by: alex | Jul 16, 2012 7:46:53 PM

9. His statement is actually a perfect definition of prejudice. He realizes that logic requires equality but doesn't question his belief that it's wrong.

Posted by: Markt | Jul 16, 2012 7:46:55 PM

10. Well, as a black man, I will ask it:

Who is this crack head?

Posted by: Alex Ford | Jul 16, 2012 7:51:09 PM

11. Sorry, Jimmy, you're already seen as an idiot for this:

Posted by: DeeVee | Jul 16, 2012 8:00:52 PM

12. Fascinating, important, and newsworthy. Now I wanna know what
    Abe Vigoda thinks about marriage equality.

Posted by: kodiak | Jul 16, 2012 8:38:39 PM

13. Black homophobia is real! And its disgusting!

Posted by: Mendoza | Jul 16, 2012 8:40:27 PM

14. I'm sooo sick of being told black homophobia doesnt exist. BULL!

Blacks are THE most vocal anti gays in todas society an the biggest hypocrites too

Posted by: Red Velvet | Jul 16, 2012 8:41:41 PM

15. Black straight men are some of the most sexual in nature. Most comment an think about sex in incredibly vulgar ways. Most black straight men you work with or surround yourself with make terrible remarks about wanting to sleep with as many women as they can. Yet when it comes to our rights and out lives, they suddenly turn all angelic. Lets call a spade a spade.

Posted by: USC Trojan Fan | Jul 16, 2012 8:45:49 PM

16. But I'm sure he doesnt mind lsurening to hip hop music where every single music videos consists of video hos in thongs dancing at black strip clubs for perverted men.

Posted by: SaySong | Jul 16, 2012 8:48:04 PM

17. Objecting to The Gay seems to be a tiresome trend among many of the washed up has-beens from the 70's and 80's. I agree with others here--it's just to get publicity but at the least makes them look desperate, out-of-date, and rather unintelligent.

And the current generation's reaction to them is: "Who?"

Posted by: kdknyc | Jul 16, 2012 8:48:38 PM

18. ICEBLOO- i agree. And the black communities prejudice toward gays has NOTHING to do with morality, if morality was so important to that community they wouldnt have the highest rate of pregnancy put of wed lock, drug use, CRIME and so much worse. If the black community truly cared about morality they'd start in their own homes first and clean up the MESS in their own communities, which they never take acountability for an instead blame everyone around them.

And I say that as a Latino who has lived in neighborhoods with a high concentation of black people and observed that behavior.

Posted by: Carlos | Jul 16, 2012 8:54:22 PM

19. Why John? Why does the gay community need to constantly be the 'bigger person' in wake of overwhelming (often violent) forms of black homophobia? Because the black community has a sense of entitlement and you demand we as gays answer to you and obey you? That will never happen. The African American community has lost the respect of the LGBT community for their own homophobia which they themselves have to answer for. The gay community is not responsible for the vile hate blacks have agaist us. Their sense of entitlement demands we apologize to them for their homophobia. Please Child. Go get yourself a reality check and have a slice of humble pie while you're at it.

Posted by: Dynex | Jul 16, 2012 8:59:26 PM

20. I'm black and I'm honestly tired of hearin about how the gay community gotta beg us for getting their civil and human rights. When we got 45 anti gay crimes here in D.C in a few months and all but one was committed by blacks, we're told to not ever mention black peeps are behind it. But then black people turnin around and saying "y'all better come get on your knees and ask us to grant you rights" .... I agree with commentator above. That is a case of entitlement. Maybe if the gay leaders would take the black community to task for their homophobia, black people would think twice next time they put their homophobia on blast. As it stands, gay people be so scared to be called a racist they never call out a black homophobe. And I'm a black can get and lemme tell you- black homophobia is real and needs some REAL addressing. Black gays I know are too dang busy calling white gays racist instead of calling out the homophobia in our people.

Posted by: Real Talk | Jul 16, 2012 9:06:11 PM

21. @ Real Talk

Thank you for that very honest and candid, and realistic point of view. It's often very hard to get black gay folks to not be bias, and recognize the unwavering homophobia that consists within their community. I feel if they focused their energy more on ironing out the disdain for gays in the black community, instead of sitting on the side lines and fixating on the gay community, maybe there would be some resolve. Until then, they are preaching for unrealistic expectations from gays while not wanting to make the black community ucomfortable.

Posted by: USC Trojans Fan | Jul 16, 2012 9:10:22 PM

22. He didn't say anything about crossing the streets when a gay man approaches, or bringing back sodomy laws. He only said he doesn't agree with gay marriage.

He also said it should be legalized, despite his personal feelings on the morality of it. There are people of ALL RACES in our country who disagree with "the homosexual lifestyle" because of their religious beliefs who are in support of marriage equality.

There really was NO NEED to bring race up on this topic. None. At all. Those of you who did should be ashamed of yourselves.

I fail to see what ONE MAN's opinion has to do with anyone else who happens to have the same skin color as he. Get over yourselves. Jimmy Walker makes an "I" statement and suddenly he represents everybody, right?

Minds get changed one at a time. What are you doing to help change someone's mind?

Posted by: antisaint | Jul 16, 2012 9:11:05 PM

23. Not sure why people are being so upset at him, he's someone who has his own opinion, contrary to ours, but has no intention to fight it apparently. That's pretty much a win for us.

His stance is similar to mine in regards to marijuana legalisation. In a generation or so after its legalisation it will probably inured into society and all the fears of the potential problems it could cause to minors and adults alike will have eroded, but I still don't care for it being around.

Posted by: luke | Jul 16, 2012 9:13:05 PM

24. You'll all find out about gay marriage when you're in one. The straight world is not waiting for you with open arms. So, unless you're a rich celebrity, good luck raising your "family." And try not to get bored with each other's assholes. Please try and hide what's "off" about your relationship. It's your job to pretend Gay Marriage is wonderful, and be thankful you don't live in Nazi Germany, Not cool for such a thing. But that was in the past anyway!! Like the'70's. And don't bash the black man. Obama is black, and taken a lot of gay $$$$$$$$. The most smug find out the hard way. That's life.

Posted by: Jonathan | Jul 16, 2012 9:21:26 PM

25. Yep, he just an idiot. At least he realizes it. He's like what, 60 years old and still says "Dyn-o-mite" like it hasn't went out of style.

Posted by: Aiden Raccoon | Jul 16, 2012 9:22:14 PM