Activism | Chick-fil-A | News

'National Same-Sex Kiss Day' at Chick-Fil-A on August 3

Antigay_chickfila

The Chick-Fil-A wars heat up with supporters of equality on Facebook organizing an event of protest on August 3:

In honor of their support for love, equality, and the real definition of family, we're holding a NATIONAL Same Sex Kiss Day at Chick Fil A's around the country. So grab a friend (or 20) and head out to your nearest Chick Fil A! And don't forget to post photos/videos of it here! For all the world to see!

Comments

1. @Sparks...I guess you forgot how nice a kiss can feel. It's not "slobbering"...or maybe for you it is. Hide out and slobber all you want.

Posted by: PAUL B. | Jul 23, 2012 2:45:45 PM

2. @Sparks...the more I read your comments, the dumber you sound. "Making out" & "slobbering"...are the words you choose to use to describe A KISS! You must be thinking..."oops, have I said too much"? The resounding answer you should hear is...YES!!

Posted by: PAUL B. | Jul 23, 2012 2:52:55 PM

3. Paul, at the risk of you considering me arrogant and snarky, may I defend those who view public kissing as slobbering? It is not that THEY see kissing as lewd or inappropriate, it's that those they are trying to reach may view it this way. Which is one reason why I suggested a "marriage-in" instead of a "kiss-in." Once again, the question is do you want to feel self-righteous or do you want to win people over? Take it from someone who has been in the cultural right for decades: a lot of people when they think of gays are imagining anal sex. Let them see gay marriages and they'll be forced to confront their phobias. Gay kissing is not the same turn-off as anal sex but it still turns off some (as it causes some to rethink things.) Gradually people will accept gays expressing somne physical affection in public. There's no reason why they all have to accept it right now for progress to be made.

Now go ahead and fire away, Paul........!

Posted by: Mary | Jul 23, 2012 3:11:11 PM

4. @Mary...I don't need to "fire away". You've said plenty. Check your foot sweetheart...it's bleeding something awful.

Posted by: PAUL B. | Jul 23, 2012 3:16:18 PM

5. Going to be funny when the cops are called do to all this, would love to watch that. If you don't like a store policy don't go, but creating a disturbance won't change anything. All this will hopefully do is show how far people like this are willing to go to make them self look like fools.

Posted by: Jeff | Jul 23, 2012 3:25:38 PM

6. What the problem, Paul? Angry that I'm no longer an opponent of marriage equality? Always a shame when an opponent switches sides isn't it? I mean what are you supposed to do with all the stored-up hostility? ........ be gracious and quietly glad that your side has more support now?

Posted by: Mary | Jul 23, 2012 3:31:02 PM

7. Rubbing it in their face isn't helping.
    Seriously do you expect them to change?

Posted by: chris255 | Jul 23, 2012 3:32:50 PM

8. @Mary...go find Sparks and rub your front bottoms together for a while.

Posted by: PAUL B. | Jul 23, 2012 3:41:41 PM

9. @Mary and Sparks (if they are actually different people)--Why don't you call the police and get them to raid all the sports arenas and baseball stadiums all over this country? They have these "kissing cams" where they focus on couples and force them to perform lewd acts and then PROJECT THEM on a big screen so that even CHILDREN are forced to watch these LEWD ACTS of kissing!! And they even serve food at these stadiums!

Posted by: stillmarriedinCA | Jul 23, 2012 4:00:55 PM

10. @STILLMARRIED...thank you for that!! Food and same-sex kissing at the same venue. OMG! However are they going to clean things us afterwards?

Posted by: PAUL B. | Jul 23, 2012 4:19:51 PM

11. These kinds of demonstartions DO make a difference because they help point out inequities and absurdities. Not sure how many recall anti-war social activist Jerry Rubin. In his 1970 book "DO IT : Scenarios of the Revolution", he suggested people go into banks and urinate/defacate in order to make a point. The point is to make a point and be heard.

Posted by: robert | Jul 23, 2012 4:20:42 PM

12. @Robert...I do remember, I was part of those demonstrations. Never did "those things"....but understood why they were important....and still are!

Posted by: PAUL B. | Jul 23, 2012 4:28:41 PM

13. I think there is a time and a place for this style of action, but this particular instance isn't one of them. I have been boycotting this company since I learned of their existence by moving to the rural, deep south nearly twenty years ago and in that time have had to explain my position dozens of times over to sympathetic straight folk who were completely clueless to this company's political wheelings and dealings. And now in the midst of this current wave of public visibility, when it seems people at-large are finally starting to take notice that something's afoot, I have had to educate many, many more otherwise well-meaning friends who are not savvy to Christianist code-words that this is NOT as Cathy and Huckabee say merely a company that "supports traditional family values" but that is actively channeling millions of dollars annually into efforts to preserve civil inequality/injustice and keep people like us second-class citizens.

Which is to say, the point of an action like this IS to raise awareness and educate the public, but given that the vast majority of Chik-Fil-A's are located in extremely conservative areas of the country, this kind of in-the-face, provocative action will likely do more to turn would-be allies in these communities off than it would be to educate them to our concerns, and would end up just reinforcing the impression that it's US who are being intolerant, etc.

A standard-issue picketing/passing out of literature type action where protesters are on their "best behavior" re: locally prevalent norms of behavior would be much, much more effective.

Posted by: Shelly | Jul 23, 2012 4:40:09 PM

14. Well, I guess we need some ground rules for the whole kissing thing.

1. No excessive slobber or saliva of any kind.

2. Certainly no tongues.

3. Do not let your lips linger on your partner's lips for more than 3 - 4 seconds. Use a stopwatch if necessary.

4. Do not look around the room with a knowing look while kissing.

5. Try to keep away from The Children.

6. Pecks on the cheek are encouraged.

7. Please wash up afterward.

You're welcome.

Posted by: johnny | Jul 23, 2012 4:42:58 PM

15. Thanks Shelly...and now can you give us a nice quiet recipe for biscuits & gravy? We wouldn't want to disturb the natives.

Posted by: PAUL B. | Jul 23, 2012 4:51:45 PM

16. Shelley/Mary/Sparks--There is hardly anything in everyday life worth doing that doesn't make these right wing christo fascists uncomfortable. So gearing any equal rights protest around what is acceptable to the haters is a ridiculous proposition. If you are worried about what people are gonna think, you are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Posted by: stillmarriedinCA | Jul 23, 2012 5:01:56 PM

17. @stillmarriedinCA - I said I didn't care to watch people --- gay or straight -- kissing in a food establishment, and I was quite clear about that.

Choosing to twist my words out of context to imply internalized homophobia says a lot about you and your inability to come up with a sensible rebuttal.

Posted by: sparks | Jul 23, 2012 5:08:29 PM

18. You do realize that the comments were made by a corporate representative, but the individual stores are owned by different people.

So all the boycotts, sit ins and kissing just mess with the locally owned stores, which can then fold and the corporate office just re-sells the territory..

Posted by: skip | Jul 23, 2012 5:19:07 PM

19. @Mary: I believe you're confused about types of protest. A kiss-in is an act of defiance, as, historically, many protests have been. It's not a win-people's-hearts-and-minds action (that, too, is important but it happens differently); it's a rallying call. Now, some may find defiant protests distasteful, but that's part of the point. Some may also find them unwise, but that's a matter of opinion.

Having some sort of bogus commitment ceremony in front of a Chik-Fil-A would be very strange, both for any couple (CFA backdrop, gross!) and as an act of protest. But, hey, if someone wants to do it, their right.

If straight onlookers are thinking of anal sex seeing two women kiss, or two men, then they're probably dreaming about anal sex all on their own. (It would be like me seeing a woman kissing someone and next picturing her giving birth with all those gory details.) And for such people the idea of gay people committing to one another is no less threatening than the idea of them having sex. In other words, they have personal issues no protest will solve. Therapy might help them, maybe.

I do wish, however, that I had a dollar for every time you use a word like "gradually" as your advice for how to gain acceptance from bigots. My bank account would be filling right up! Those who protest with gradual goals fail. If I were the cynical sort, I'd suspect you of repeatedly offering intentionally bad advice.

Posted by: Ernie | Jul 23, 2012 5:23:47 PM

20. THE POINT of doing this is to get public and media attention on the discrimination.
    Some of the commenters, above, illustrate why Gay causes tend to languish in fear, shame, and inaction, while the hater-churches march right over us.
    I WOULD PREFER TO TO TO CHICK FIL A AND URINATE ON THE FLOOR -- which they well deserve -- but I know it would be a poor idea.

Posted by: Bob | Jul 23, 2012 5:33:03 PM

21. Sparks--These are your words "I said I didn't care to watch people --- gay or straight -- kissing in a food establishment." "Making out in a restaurant is lewd..."

I don't have to twist your words to make you sound bad. You are doing a great job yourself.

I merely pointed out that if kissing is lewd, than those kiss-cams ought to be banned and I hope you are campaigning vigorously to do so.
    And if you don't want to be around kissing in a restaurant, then don't GO! We want people to stop buying their products so this is a great response. Apparently you think just like these wingnuts so that confirms that this is the right thing to do...even though you keep trying to say it is a bad idea.

Posted by: stillmarriedinCA | Jul 23, 2012 5:33:39 PM

22. I've been posting replies here but none of them are going through. Has anyone else been having this problem?

Posted by: Mary | Jul 23, 2012 5:36:48 PM

23. Glad to see that we are watering down the term "Hate Crime".

Also, Liberals are supposed to be the open-minded side. Why does it always have to be your side or no side? They have made their stance clear. The most powerful way to show your disagreement is to not eat there.

This kind of thing only makes anti-gay marriage people less likely to change their minds. Baby-steps, in a more positive manner will get us there quicker.

Posted by: dave | Jul 23, 2012 5:50:17 PM

24. Dave. er Mary, er Shelly, er, Sparks. Go take your baby steps off a short pier.

If you would like to organize a protest in the manner that you deem acceptable, please do. I'm not sure you will surprise us when it doesn't materialize.

In the meantime, stop trying to undermine the people who are actually WORKING toward change and making things happen. You are part of the enemy until you learn that lesson. But then, I think that may be where your allegiance lies anyway.

Posted by: stillmarriedinCA | Jul 23, 2012 5:56:09 PM

25. I don't care enough to find a Chick-fil-a that I'll never go to again.

Posted by: Garst | Jul 23, 2012 5:56:14 PM