Activism | Chick-fil-A | News

BigGayDeal.com

'National Same-Sex Kiss Day' at Chick-Fil-A on August 3

Antigay_chickfila

The Chick-Fil-A wars heat up with supporters of equality on Facebook organizing an event of protest on August 3:

In honor of their support for love, equality, and the real definition of family, we're holding a NATIONAL Same Sex Kiss Day at Chick Fil A's around the country. So grab a friend (or 20) and head out to your nearest Chick Fil A! And don't forget to post photos/videos of it here! For all the world to see!

Comments

1. @Mary...guess the planets are lining up in our favor today. That explains it, yes?

Posted by: PAUL B. | Jul 23, 2012 5:56:59 PM

2. All these wishy-washy "psudo-gays" are posting today. Frankly, it all sounds like the same milktoast, whitebread, vanilla sex, boring person to me. Get the f out of here and go bake bread with each other somewhere...Mary, Dave, Shelly.
    @ Bob...you've got the right idea !!! Piss on them one & all.

Posted by: PAUL B. | Jul 23, 2012 6:00:59 PM

3. I'm not pseudo-gay, I'm a straight ally of the gay community. Dave, Shelley, and Bob can speak for themselves. As for vanilla and whitebread, they may be boring, but they can be helpful. Gay rights laws now pass because square and "milquetoast" politicians now support them. There aren't enough Barney Franks to change the law. Don't knock boring, Paul B. Excitement is politics is vastly overrated.

Posted by: Mary | Jul 23, 2012 6:58:33 PM

4. You guys do a good Madison Avenue with the copy and the print, but don't you think in light of the recent violence in Colorado this might not be wise? You're turning a kiss into a possible provocation for violence. People will hate gays without any assistance from you.

Posted by: Josh | Jul 23, 2012 7:30:21 PM

5. you're not gonna change anything with Chick-Fil-A. They're a Christian organization. That's why they don't support your ideas. Creating a day to show how rude you can possibly by displaying your ignorance towards the First Amendment just makes me sick. Please stop it. You're making the human race look bad.

Posted by: Brett | Jul 23, 2012 10:33:35 PM

6. David: If you want to jump off a bridge don't let me stop you. This will mean nothing in the scope of gay history, unless it gets violent.
    You know how much attention violence gets.

Posted by: Josh | Jul 23, 2012 11:29:44 PM

7. Me thinks we need to place a twink (aka "chicken") between two men at every Chick-fil-A and show them what a REAL chicken sandwich looks like!

Posted by: Tim | Jul 24, 2012 6:32:12 AM

8. Those chick-fil-a ads appear on the site because of keyword matching. If you support this cause, you should click on them, as it will cost the company more money. (and a small cut will make it to this site)

Don't go crazy and click 100's of times, as that can trigger a fraud filter. Click once, and think ca-ching$.

Yes, this is counter-intuitive, but I always smile when the opponent is funding my protest.

Posted by: Random J. Nerd | Jul 24, 2012 8:28:00 AM

9. I wonder what would happen if people told the owners of the space occupied by Chick-Fil-A that they will no longer shop at the shopping center if Chick-Fil-A's lease is renewed when it expires? As most leases (For small stores) are generally for periods of 10 years, some must be coming up for renewal in the near future.

Posted by: Jerry6 | Jul 24, 2012 10:52:41 AM

10. stillmarriedinca, there are MANY ways to work towards change as I have been doing for the last twenty years by living my life openly and honestly in a decidedly hostile environment and doing my best to educate and advocate among people whose only contact with any of these issues to this point has been filtered through hateful, ignorant propaganda which they have hitherto absorbed unchallenged for lack of any contact with the reality that we ARE just as they are and are NOT out to spit on or destroy all that they hold dear, and though I've weathered more than a few battle scars along the way, the results have been overwhelmingly positive.

Most of the people holding onto these atavistic views are NOT actively hateful. They are good, decent people trying their best to make sense of the world and do right, but like all of us, they are products of their environment. And if the only voices they hear on this issue are from trusted authority figures such as preachers and tribally-aligned politicians vs what looks to them like a mob of outsiders insisting everything they've been led to believe is a lie and that they are hateful monsters, guess who they're gonna believe? And though it often goes unsung, I think a LOT of the progress we've made over the years has been as much by the humble efforts of people like myself moving outside the ghettos or refusing to leave their hometowns and honestly, openly, and respectfully standing their ground and speaking their truth as it has been a result of ACT-UP, Queer Nation and the like, to say nothing of raging partisan comment sections on the internet.

We all have our place and we all have our part in the struggle, but I see things like this and fear it will do more harm than good in a town like mine. That's all.

Posted by: Shelly | Jul 24, 2012 12:44:34 PM

11. "If I were the cynical sort, I'd suspect you of repeatedly offering intentionally bad advice."

Ernie, if what I've done on Towleroad in the past few months isn't enough to convince you that I'm on board with full equality for gays (contributing to Freedom to Marry, Marriage Equality USA, and joining the Log Cabin Republicans) then I'm not sure what would convince you. But there are people who have "cautious" wired into their way of thinking - they always like to look at things historically and take the long-range view. I'm this type of person. I was this way when I was "anti-gay" (I put it in quotation marks because I was never actually hostile to gays) and now that I'm pro-equality I'm still this way.

But as someone who was until recently on the other side of this issue I know what that side is hoping for. A revival of 1960's style activism would make Maggie, Brian, and all conservatives thrilled. I'll go further and reveal a secret that no other conservative will admit to publicly. Many of us on the cultural Right have a secret prayer that goes something like this : "Please God....Chicago '68.....one more time!" We know that the quickest route to victory for us is to win by default because the the Left appears flamboyant, violent, and anti-American. And yes, it made me feel like sh** inside to hope for situations that I knew would endanger people's safety, and eventually I couldn't live with the guilt anymore.

You often forget that not much of the U.S. is as liberal as your state of Vermont. As always, its the people on the middle you want to persuade, not the hard-core Christian Rightists. Yes, gays need to be visible and to protest/boycott, but keep it civil and respectful. Your best bet is to talk to people who switched from anti-gay to pro-gay and ask them what caused the change - in-depthh surveys of such people will confirm the things I'm saying here.

If I wanted to sabotage I'd encourage false over-confidence, which the cultural Left has always been prone to anyway.

Posted by: Mary | Jul 24, 2012 5:11:55 PM

12. When did it become illegal in America to have a different belief? Is the pro gay movement deciding to force itself on the rest of the country? There is no hate coming from a person just because they do not agree with you. You are the hater.

Posted by: Karen | Jul 25, 2012 4:37:12 PM

13. It's not someone being gay that bothers me. It's te way some of them like to throw it in others faces. The whole "we're here and we're queer" thing is unnecessary. More times than not, they are obnoxious about it.

Posted by: Lee | Jul 26, 2012 7:49:31 AM

14. It seems to me that the real hate going on is the hate "pro-gay" people have for Chick-fil-a.

Aug 1 is the support Chick-fil-A day for having an opinion and being hated for it... I plan to go on Aug 1st! And I will plan to purchase something from Chick-fil-A on Aug 3rd... I hope I am not hated for doing such.

PS... I also hope I am not a victim of hate because posting to this sight...

Posted by: Dave | Jul 26, 2012 1:42:56 PM

15. It seems that Chick-fil-a is not refusing service to any GLBT. If an executive has an opinion that is different from those in the GLBT community, why isnt' there tolerance for a different opinion. As long as that opinion doesn't restrict another person's rights, then it's just a different opinion that should be tolerated and discussed like all others. It seems that too many of us are only tolerant of opinions like our own.

Posted by: john | Jul 27, 2012 5:46:18 PM

16. I am so sick and tired of the double standard. Gays and Lesbians want us to accept and tolerate their beliefs and way of life but they are unwilling to accept or tolerate what a Christian believes. I see no haters here on the Christian side. I see Christians holding true to their beliefs, supporting the causes they choose with their money. There are always going to be isolated incidents of haters in EVERY group but to characterize ALL Christians as haters and all gays and lesbians as haters is wrong. Furthermore, to enter a family establishment with PDAs FORCED upon the patrons is unbelievably disrespectful to all families. Gays and Lesbians, you can't have it both ways no matter how hard you try. You want respect? Show respect.

Posted by: vakers@tampabay.rr.com | Jul 28, 2012 10:58:42 AM

17. Look the point isnt to go in and make out slobbering all over people or groping or sticking ur tongue down somebodys throat. Since when did kissing turn into all that? If u dont wanna do it then dont. Just boycott or simply quit eating at chick fil a. Im personally proud of this movement. And its not a crime to give a kiss to ur better half in any place. I dont have a better half right now but hell honey to get the point across id embrace and kiss any willing woman in houston! PRIDE its more than a word

Posted by: Michelle | Jul 29, 2012 10:37:36 AM

18. dear sir you call us christians homophobic just because we dont agree with gay marriages but the owner of chick fila just said he believed in a man and a women and he was asked b a baptist runned media organization and the owner of chick fila is a baptist he never mentioned gay marriage or anything else i think the gay community is taking the comments of one person and twisting it to be something it is not so if ever person who is against gay marriage is homophobic then can we say that all gays who oppose hetrosexual marriages as being hetrophobics

Posted by: joseph | Jul 31, 2012 10:22:30 AM

19. Feel free to email these Presidents at the company what you think :

bruce.adkins@chick-fil-a.com

barry.wesson@chick-fil-a.com

Posted by: John | Aug 1, 2012 7:42:36 AM

20. Email Dan Cathy your thoughts!

dan.cathy@chick-fil-a.com

Posted by: John | Aug 1, 2012 7:48:20 AM

21. The gay community needs to calm down. The question was asked and Chick fil-A gave them an honest response. It's not like they woke up in the morning and decided to announce to the world that they are against gay marriage. Every person/company has the freedom of speech and religion. They are not forcing their beliefs down anybody's throat, just delicious chicken. They do not refuse to serve you if you're gay nor do they have a sign outside their door saying "Gays not allowed". They are one of few companies in the US that are closed on Sunday. In most US families, Sunday is a day of worship no matter who your God is. I honestly have no problem with gay marriage. Statistically, they last longer than straight marriages. If you don't agree with their beliefs, then don't eat there. Boycotting them in opening new restaurants is ridiculous and childish in my opinion. Can't we all just act like adults and say that opinions are like assholes, everybody has one!!!

Posted by: Jess | Aug 1, 2012 8:54:40 AM

22. Both sides of this protest thing are wrong.

Chick-Fil-A: Resturaunts are were people come to sit and eat... you don't need to hold a moral value or political position to serve me a sandwich. You are a service provider and there for have no right to nitpick at who you like. People eat at your resturaunt because they like chicken... not God.

Pro-Kiss Day Peeps: Chick-Fil-A is not pressing it's beliefs on you. They are just saying they don't agree with you. Everyone is has an opinion and we have to live with it. There is no need to protest unless they are denieing service, or leading a negative campaign.

Posted by: Brandon | Aug 1, 2012 12:31:28 PM

23. Just remember, folks. If you see a lot of barfing at a local Chick-Fil-A on Friday, it'll be due to the FAGS, not the FOOD.

I was just at a Chick-Fil-A at a Northern New Jersey shopping mall. The line was THREE HOURS LONG!! There were so many people, they had to open a service hall used by employees for the line to extend into!

So go ahead, homos! HAVE your kissing day. The people there will need a good laugh.

Posted by: Weasler | Aug 1, 2012 3:41:43 PM

24. Dan Cathy's move was a brilliant one. He scored a GRAND SLAM HOME RUN in terms of business, for the NEXT SIX MONTHS!!!

Posted by: Weasler | Aug 1, 2012 3:44:12 PM

25. This company is so antigay that if sales are off by say 20%, they won't care. Hell, they close on Sunday.

Posted by: Paul | Aug 1, 2012 6:49:14 PM