Josh Weed | Mormon | News

BigGayDeal.com

'Nightline' Interviews Gay Mormon Josh Weed, Happily Married to a Woman: VIDEO

Weed

Several weeks ago Brandon posted about Josh Weed, a gay relationship therapist Mormon happily married to a woman, after Weed came out to readers on his blog:

Some might assume that because I’m married to a woman, I must be bisexual. This would be true if sexual orientation was defined by sexual experience. Heck, if sexual orientation were defined by sexual experience, I would be as straight as the day is long even though I’ve never been turned on by a Victoria’s Secret commercial in my entire life. Sexual orientation is defined by attraction, not by experience. In my case, I am attracted sexually to men. Period. Yet my marriage is wonderful, and Lolly and I have an extremely healthy and robust sex life. How can this be?

Shortly thereafter, there were charges that Weed practices "ex-gay" therapy, accusations which Weed strongly denied.

I do not practice, nor do I believe in, reparative therapy or change therapy. Quite the opposite, my therapeutic stance is one that favors (but does not depend on) the idea that sexual orientation is immutable.

My therapeutic approach is to meet clients where they are--wherever that might be--and then help them to analyze the goals and aspirations that they have for their own life.

This week, Weed and his wife were interviewed on Nightline.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. @Jason
    Wow, just side with the Mormon in this case, why don't you?
    You can twist and contort the truth with words all you like, but you can never twist or contort the truth. Gay means homosexual, and homosexual means overwhelming sexual AND emotional affinities to members of the same sex. He has an OPPOSITE SEX spouse with whom he enjoys such "bliss"; that means he's the OPPOSITE of homosexual, and that is, HETEROSEXUAL. You can say yes is no and no is yes, but you can never change their meaning; ergo, you never change them. HE'S LYING.
    And spare me the "everyone is bisexual" bull. Gay and straight people alike will call you a liar to your face.

Posted by: Matt | Jul 20, 2012 8:58:26 PM

2. @ JASON:
    @ Matt:

Maybe it's much simpler; he's attracted to her because she's rich.

He feels like one of us homos but but the lure of her money makes him feel robust !

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jul 20, 2012 9:18:16 PM

3. What a crock. I don't believe 90% of this story and, like others, I wish that ABC hadn't aired it. I'm guessing that his therapy business has slowed and he figured this would be a good way to get attention. Saying that black is white doesn't make it true.

I've dated two Mormons, to my deep regret, and while some are nice enough, these two were among the most duplicitous, controlling people I've ever met. Certainly that I've ever dated. It's nearly impossible to grow up gay and healthy in that environment.

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 20, 2012 9:19:58 PM

4. This guy just sounds as if he is afraid to live up to his own nature.....like so many other closet cases he has taken it all the way.....but now he's parading himself as living proof that even homos can live a Christian hetro "path".

Yeah his religion is what's most important !!!
    He has never allowed himself to fall in love with another guy; never allowed himself the freedom of living among his own kind.
    And this guy is not bisexual, he is just a liar.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jul 20, 2012 9:27:53 PM

5. "Josh Weed is correct when he says that sexual orientation is defined by your feelings and not your behavior."

But the "feelings" related to sexual orientation aren't just sexual feelings. They're also romantic feelings, feelings of connection, duty, protection, support, etc. He clearly has those feelings FOR A WOMAN. They don't talk about him having "robust romance" as though that's fake, too.

He's bi. He's mostly drawn to men sexually, but he's bi.

Posted by: BobN | Jul 20, 2012 10:09:06 PM

6. This STINKS of Mormon Church stunt. Everything about it is a homophobic ploy by them, should be called out.

Posted by: GI | Jul 20, 2012 10:33:25 PM

7. I'm REALLY tired of the media giving a platform to chemically imbalanced, self haters like this (from the ex gay movement which HE IS a part of)

GLAAD should really demand a counter segment where we expose the recent story of the man and women from the ex gay movement who married each other and now are BOTH out and openly gay again. WHERE IS THAT NIGHTLINE SEGMENT?

Posted by: Jackson | Jul 20, 2012 10:34:46 PM

8. I wonder how long it will be before he pulls a Paulk and is photographed slinking around in a gay bar, chatting up the homos. I give him 4, maybe 5 years at the outside before he's posting "on the DL" ads on craigslist.

Posted by: Daddy Todd | Jul 20, 2012 10:56:41 PM

9. I'm gay. I expect tolerance and respect from others, regardless of sexual identity. That being the case, I have to offer it to others as well.

Why my fellow gays have to bash this guy for living his experience is beyond me. Disagree and all...fine...but the name calling and insults? Kinda contradictory, no?

Posted by: Jason | Jul 20, 2012 11:17:55 PM

10. @Matt
    The thing is, i'm not interestd in telling this guy what he is or how he should feel. As a 35 year old gay man, I grew up in a time when being gay wasn't nearly as acceptable as it is now, when EVERYBODY told me what I should be and how I should feel. I'm not about to do the same to others.

Let me be and I'll let you be.

Posted by: Jason | Jul 20, 2012 11:24:41 PM

11. i loved his work on Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Posted by: milou | Jul 20, 2012 11:30:46 PM

12. Big deal. A lot of gay men get married and have children. Some by choice and some do it before they are old enough to know what they are doing. And when a male is young he can "do it" with anyone. Nothing new here. Move along.

Posted by: to each his own | Jul 20, 2012 11:48:56 PM

13. I was ready to believe them, but now to find out that this is some cult requirement ... now it's just sad and creepy.

Posted by: Randy | Jul 21, 2012 12:08:16 AM

14. Doesn"t anyone recognize that he may be transgendered and doesn't"t know. He could be female in a man"s body forcing himself to make love to one of his own

Posted by: Jack | Jul 21, 2012 12:34:40 AM

15. THE MORHOLE PLAN UNFOLDS......
    Notice how they have changed their tune, and telling members to be nice to Gays.
    Notice the convenient timing of this story.
    THEY ARE GOING HAMMER AND TONGS
    AGAINST SAME SEX MARRIAGE FOR YOU, BECAUSE THEY WANT THEIR KIDS TO LIVE PHONY LIVES

Posted by: Bob | Jul 21, 2012 12:38:19 AM

16. @Jason
    Kudos for not feeling personally threatened by this guy. I'll never understand why us humans think somehow that the way to overcome hate is to hate back.

Posted by: Ci | Jul 21, 2012 12:46:07 AM

17. If we learned nothing from today, it's that there's a whacky piece to fit every puzzle. Who knows what goes on in the minds of men? This site becomes the gender scrap heap, but insuring that every scrap has their precious 'rights.".

Posted by: Jeff | Jul 21, 2012 1:46:09 AM

18. Yet another immature loser desperate for attention so why are we giving him free publicity ? They are all so predictable. He will write a book and make money from this silliness and we are helping him for free ! Boycott any news on this piece of s#it.

Posted by: Icebloo | Jul 21, 2012 2:00:30 AM

19. If it weren't for the fact that religion played a part in this story, I might have found this to be very moving, even inspiring. Ideally, we should love another individual and love should be able to conquer even gender and sexual orientation. But of course, he is doing this not as an individual act of love, but as an act of obedience to the LDS and its doctrine. So that eliminates for me the beauty of the story.

That having been said, so long as he isn't anti-gay or seeks to impose himself on gay people as a model for how to live their lives, I have no problem with him pursuing his life as he sees fit.

Posted by: Damian | Jul 21, 2012 2:12:00 AM

20. THE MORHOLES WANT YOU TO BE DISTRACTED BY YOUR OPINION OF HIM
    .... But I suggest you should think of this situation as similar to the Soviets having a huge May Day parade with all their weapons. They are rolling out this weapon to use on their own Gay people, and meanwhile firing atomic missiles at marriage equality everywhere.

WE HAVE TO BE FIGHTING HARD FOR OUR RIGHTS NOW, NOT DISTRACTED BY SHOWS.

Posted by: Bob | Jul 21, 2012 2:27:47 AM

21. His problem is that he is "a devout Mormon." Those who believe in a god are delusional. Still if it works for him, then good for him but it is still self-delusional.

Posted by: Charles Lemos | Jul 21, 2012 2:34:48 AM

22. The worse it's the wife...

Posted by: lukebrux | Jul 21, 2012 2:52:44 AM

23. I can never understand why political gays feel threatened by the complexity of male sexuality. As I've said before, male sexuality is not a simple black/white concept. This is something that we should accept, not fight. While it may not suit our political aims, it is the truth and, thus, it's important to accept it.

A lot of you political gays feel threatened by male sexuality that doesn't agree with your simplistic and prejudicial views. Well, I've got news for you: deal with it. Get the monkey of your backs.

Posted by: jason | Jul 21, 2012 3:43:36 AM

24. What do Joseph Smith and L Ron Hubbard have in common? They are both full of s**t. And that is putting it gently.

Posted by: andrew | Jul 21, 2012 4:12:59 AM

25. We all know that this is a joke. If this is how they want to spend there lives, let them go for it' How sad!!!

Posted by: andrew | Jul 21, 2012 4:31:42 AM