CPAC | News | Republican Party

Once A Conservative Idol, 17-Year Old Now Rejects 'Being An Ideology'

JKrohnMany of you may remember when, in 2009, a 13-year old named Jonathan Krohn became a right wing sensation after railing against liberalism at the conservative CPAC conference. Times change, though, and the now 17-year old Krohn's largely rejected a lot of that rhetoric.

Patrick Gavin at Politico reports:

"I think it was naive," Krohn now says of the speech. "It’s a 13-year-old kid saying stuff that he had heard for a long time.… I live in Georgia.

"We’re inundated with conservative talk in Georgia.… The speech was something that a 13-year-old does. You haven’t formed all your opinions. You’re really defeating yourself if you think you have all of your ideas in your head when you were 12 or 13. It’s impossible. You haven’t done enough."

Krohn won’t go so far as to say he’s liberal, in part because his move away from conservatism was a move away from ideological boxes in general.

"I want to be Jonathan Krohn," he said, "and I’m tired of being an ideology, and it’s not fun and it gets boring and it’s not who we are as individuals."

Krohn also says that unlike a lot of the conservative who once idolized him, he's in favor of marriage equality.

Comments

1. At least he's honest and willing to admit he doesn't know it all. That's more than I can say for a lot of 17-year-olds, regardless of orientation or political view.

Posted by: El Camino | Jul 3, 2012 3:18:17 PM

2. When I was his age I was as conservative as they come. I even wrote a paper in school on how great Regan was. I blamed AIDS on gay people, that's how frikin crazy I was. And then I got into high school & started thinking on my own & realized that the way my parents thought or the way the church I went to thought, wasn't the only way nor the correct way. I have made a 180 degree turn from my little naive self as it looks like this kid is doing. And hopefully will continue to do.

Posted by: Genevieve | Jul 3, 2012 6:39:14 PM

3. @El Camino: You were right when you said the young man is "willing to admit he doesn't know it all".Can you imagine many of the frequent posters on this site making such an admission and actually believing it?

Posted by: andrew | Jul 4, 2012 4:19:20 AM

4. Andrew, I'll admit to you that I don't know it all - and I sure believe it. I came to Towleroad to learn more. And I'm glad I did.

Posted by: Mary | Jul 4, 2012 10:49:21 AM

5. @MARY: I was not referring to you, But the fact that you came on Towleroad to learn something makes me question your intelligence. All you really get on Towleroad are the constant rants of leftwing ideologues like littlekiwi and the whatever rants of rick and ratbastard et al. These people and there ILK are not interested in the free exchanhe of ideas. Like Benedict XVI, they believe that they possess the infallible truth and all that others have to do is follow them.If you don't agree with them you are either a homophobe or a self loathing homosexual who is told "to grow a pair".They have nothing of value to say and as kiwi often says of others "they should be ignored".

Posted by: andrew | Jul 4, 2012 10:59:03 PM

6. A previous commenter wrote:
    "At 17 he's still a child. Do a story on him when he's 35 years old, after he's gained some actual life experience."

Actually you're wrong. A lot of maturing and learning can occur between 13 and 17. Obviously since he's changed his viewpoints. I'm 26 and I know for a fact that I know everything there is to know about life as I need to know it. I don't have to prove that to anyone. I know many 35 year old + guys who are as immature as a 12 year old .

Posted by: Orion I | Jul 5, 2012 7:31:30 AM

7. @Rick the first pride parade in Atlanta was actually 1971. It was organized by the Georgia Gay Liberation Front.

I'm proud to call Atlanta home because of our huge gay community. I'm also fortunate to have been born here and grow up near the center of one of the largest LGBT communities in the country. I couldn't have survived elsewhere.

Posted by: Orion I | Jul 5, 2012 7:37:10 AM

8. It becomes increasingly difficult to define "Conservative". I was very influenced by Ayn Rand's philosophy when I was younger but you cannot consider her "conservative" in today's sense. She strongly opposed Ronald Reagan. This party is much too aligned with the Religious right for my taste. I tend to believe that religion is part of the problem. It confuses people. It divides our pysche and makes rational people accept irrational beliefs. I am not an atheist but I believe that science is the correct path for a rational being. Left and right are relative terms. I am much more comfortable with President Obama's policies as a whole. I strongly oppose giving companies incentives to outsource to a dictatorship like China; It goes against our principles as a free nation. I would rather see our Government give incentives to keep jobs in this country. I have no problem with limited Socialism. A country as large as our would never function as a total Free Market. We need good regulations to keep the playing field fair and stable. Any game needs rules. Actually, the Republicans are the biggest abusers of "Free Market" principles. If I could assign a slogan to the Republican party, it would be "I want my cake and eat it too". The Republican party of today is much too confusing. It is no wonder that this young man changed his mind.

Posted by: Ray | Jul 5, 2012 8:08:16 AM