American Family Association | One Million Moms | Religion | Ryan Murphy | Television | The New Normal

BigGayDeal.com

One Million Moms Gripe Ineffectually At Their Televisions

The_new_normal-showFirst it was JC Penney, and then Toys'R'Us, and then Green Lantern, The Gap, Kraft, Marvel Comics, and D.C. Comics -- the anti-gay organization One Million Moms has ineffectually boycotted, or threatened to ineffectually boycott, more things than any ineffectual boycotters in recent memory. And they're back at it! Their current target: NBC's new sitcom, The New Normal.

From OMM's website:

To sum it up, this show is about a homosexual couple who hires a surrogate to have their baby. The season premiere is scheduled for Tuesday, September 11 at 9:30/8:30 p.m. Central. It is no surprise that openly gay Ryan Murphy, is one of the executive producers and director, who also brought us "American Horror Story," "GLEE," and "Nip/Tuck."

NBC is using public airwaves to continue to subject families to the decay of morals and values, and the sanctity of marriage in attempting to redefine marriage. These things are harmful to our society, and this program is damaging to our culture.

Note the sneering reference to "openly gay Ryan Murphy," which is supposed to mean -- what? That gays shouldn't have jobs? Or that gays shouldn't be power players in the entertainment industry?

It is the case that consumers of all kinds of art, sitcoms to operas, are frequently exposed to sympathetic portrayals of characters they find unsavory, because the point of most art isn't to model some viewer's idea of utopia. Adults deal with it. And so do One Million Moms, most of the time. They're Christian, but they don't gripe about the atheists on The Big Bang Theory. They're probably very nice, non-violent, law-abiding citizens, but they don't gripe about the Soprano family. They only gripe about highly visible gays. Pretty weird.

Comments

1. Those creatures and their failed campaigns are so pathetic that I don’t know why to lose time reporting whatever new wackery they start. Just let them boil in their vaginal juices.

Posted by: YoYeahYo | Jul 22, 2012 6:17:51 PM

2. up next - retroactive criticism for the 1970s miniseries "HOLOCAUST' wherein the Moms complain that "this liberal propaganda ignores that these people are guilty of killed Jeebus"

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jul 22, 2012 6:18:58 PM

3. Yes Christians. Throw yourselves into your own defeat once again.

Posted by: Sarm | Jul 22, 2012 6:20:04 PM

4. Ryan is making gayness a fad. People will tire of the formula. You don't see people rushing home to watch "The Love Boat?" A real gay drama on "Showtime" or "HBO" might take a bit more spine on his part. He has that in common with Andrew Sullivan. They demand their interpretation of the gay experience -- which is becoming less and less any "experience" Why have we let these two people try to define gay life? The egg head and the capitalist have to go.

Posted by: Gary | Jul 22, 2012 6:27:02 PM

5. They are calling the group "One miserable mom" on Joe.My.God. When does this show come on? I don't want to miss it.

Posted by: Jersey | Jul 22, 2012 6:53:05 PM

6. I would boycott The New Normal on the basis that it looks very stereotypical and portrays gays as laughing stocks.

Posted by: jason | Jul 22, 2012 6:55:10 PM

7. "OMG! There are gay couples on TV that want to raise a child in a loving environment! They are destroying America! Boycott them!"

Meanwhile, these cows slavishly watch single unwed mother Bristol Palin parade her mentally disabled child on TV for a quick buck.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Jul 22, 2012 6:56:22 PM

8. At this point they're just a joke. You hear them boycotting something and people just roll their eyes. It's no big deal. If nothing else they're just bringing more publicity to stuff like this. I didn't know when this show was debuting, but now I do lol. Thanks One Million Moms for the free advertising :)

Posted by: Daws | Jul 22, 2012 7:07:28 PM

9. I am alternately amused and disgusted when right-wingers declare that they are concerned about "society" and "culture" without defining what those things are. When OMM's says that it's concerned about people and the real problems of mothers, then maybe I 'll listen.

And can any of the OMM's name a time in the USA when we did have morals and values?

Posted by: Robert K. | Jul 22, 2012 7:10:10 PM

10. Gary, I respectfully disagree with you that Ryan Murphy and Andrew Sullivan are trying to define gay life or demand their interpretation of the gay experience. How about more people, who don't necessarily have a column or a TV show that might make them identifiable to a mass audience, who would call up MSNBC or CNN and say, "You had on Andrew Sullivan last night and I would like to appear and rebut his arguments?"

Posted by: Robert K. | Jul 22, 2012 7:24:03 PM

11. How would you define "The Gay President" written by Andrew Sullivan for Time magazine, complete with halo? This was Andrew's creation. It's not that they need to be debated by me on TV, it's unfortunate that they wormed their way on TV at all. I've followed Andrew since the '90's, when he was an arch conservative. Guess that was a phase of his. Come on, on Murphy, "Glee?" and now this new show as he defines as "New Normal." It's his normal because Doma is still in place. Joan River's in on TV a lot as well, but she's an not an effete, intellectual snob like Andrew, or a queer perception molder like Ryan. Frankly I found Charles Nelson Reilly and Paul Lynde positive gay influences. They weren't playing Napoleon with homosexuality. Back then it just was -- without so much stage craft. They slung funny one liners -- imagine that they were an oppressed minority?

Posted by: Gary | Jul 22, 2012 7:55:16 PM

12. "Openly gay....."

Well, MOMS, the day is fast approaching when that phrase will be redundant......all of us gays will be just "gays"........
    Challenging you by being "open" won't be necessary because you frigid, repressed, ignorant, twisted slimes will be as dead as the dodo and your Anita Bryant tactics will be exposed for all time as the bigotry that it is.
    Shame on you.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jul 22, 2012 8:05:38 PM

13. I can't wait to watch this show! Our family loves virtually every actor in it.

Posted by: DoplleGanger | Jul 22, 2012 8:06:55 PM

14. I didn't know about this show until the boycott, I went and looked it up on NBC and it looks hilarious, light hearted and sarcastic. Will be looking forward to watching it.

Posted by: Jim | Jul 22, 2012 8:07:40 PM

15. One Million Moms gets sooo much exposure for the things they boycott. All my friends on facebook (who are straight) say they can't wait to watch this show because one million moms is boycotting it, and that it looks fun loving in all the previews. I will certainly be tunning in.

Posted by: Art Smith | Jul 22, 2012 8:08:50 PM

16. The premiere of this show will be playing at a local gay bar we go to. Any show that promotes showing us in relationships having the same problems, joy, amusement as heteros do gets my support.

Posted by: Mike Seattle | Jul 22, 2012 8:09:45 PM

17. I will certainly be watching with a light heart. It seems like a fun show, and has a sense of humor, a trait NO One Million Mom member can ever think of having

Posted by: Justin | Jul 22, 2012 8:10:28 PM

18. They boycotted GCB because they said it made Christians look like a caricature. WELL GUESS WHAT? THAT'S SITCOM...all sitcoms and t.v make all people look like exagerated caricatures. Most Colombians DO NOT talk like Sophia Vergara on Modern Family, yet ALLL my Colombian, Venezuelan and Latino friends love her, love her character and love the show. One Million Moms say television is giving Christians a bad name. Television is not REALITY. It takes every demographic and makes caricatures out of them (black women, religious people, gays, latinos, blondes) and we watch for entertainment because MOST OF US manage to seperate our television viewing from reality and we watch television FOR humor and exageration...not to see reality. We already live that.

Posted by: USC Trojans Fan | Jul 22, 2012 8:13:11 PM

19. We need to start emaling the shows they are emailing to boycott. We need to balance out their actions by THANKING those who support us like Kraft, JC pennys..

Posted by: Jamie | Jul 22, 2012 8:13:52 PM

20. I'll go out of my way to support this show!

Posted by: Utopia | Jul 22, 2012 8:46:52 PM

21. Judging by the comments from my friends on twitter, they already can't wait to watch this, I'm assuming it will be a big hit for NBC. It's generated a lot of buzz, and if it makes the One Thousand lonely moms angry....well, I'm all for it

Posted by: YupYep | Jul 22, 2012 8:47:50 PM

22. The actor from Book of Mormon is in it. I can't wait to watch now. he was incredible in that play

Posted by: JC | Jul 22, 2012 8:48:49 PM

23. OMM is realy just a few evil antigay Christians out to make trouble for LGBT people in their antigay Christian hate groups.

Posted by: Mike | Jul 22, 2012 9:07:38 PM

24. I think the so-called Million Moms are disgusting traffickers in offensive stereotypes, but JC Penney's stock has lost half of its value since February and I'm wondering why (I checked after reading right-wingers crowing about the damage they've done, on another blog). I hope the boycotts and bigotry backfire 300%, but I'm not sure it's happening: http://ir.jcpenney.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=70528&p=irol-stockquote

Posted by: Steve Scarborough | Jul 22, 2012 10:42:12 PM

25. Kraft's stocks went up greatly since they made it known they are PRO GAY. As did the stock for google and other companies (like starbucks) after they sided with marriage equality

Posted by: jeremy | Jul 23, 2012 2:36:33 AM