Colorado | News

BigGayDeal.com

12 Dead, 50 Injured After Late Night Shooting at 'Dark Knight Rises' Screening in Colorado: VIDEO

Shooting

Twelve people are dead (earlier reports had the number at 14) and 50 injured after a gunman opened fire at a screening of The Dark Knight Rises in Aurora, Colorado late last night.

The AP reports:

The gunman, who is in custody, stood at the front of the theater and fired into the crowd about 12:30 a.m. MDT at a theater at a multiplex theater in a mall in Aurora. Witnesses tell us he released some sort of canister. They heard a hissing sound and some gas emerged and the gunman opened fire," Aurora Police Chief Dan Oates said at a news conference. Police, ambulances and emergency crews swarmed on the scene after frantic calls started flooding the 911 switchboard, officials said. Officers found the gunman near a car behind the theater. "A gas mask, rifle, handgun at least one additional weapon (were) found inside," he said.

The suspect arrested is a 24-year-old male. He has been identified as James Holmes.

An unverified video reportedly showing the chaos at the theater after the shooting has surfaced on YouTube.

Watch (warning: footage of at least one patron stained with blood), AFTER THE JUMP...

UPDATES: Obama responds to shooting...

Michelle and I are shocked and saddened by the horrific and tragic shooting in Colorado. Federal and local law enforcement are still responding, and my Administration will do everything that we can to support the people of Aurora in this extraordinarily difficult time. We are committed to bringing whoever was responsible to justice, ensuring the safety of our people, and caring for those who have been wounded. As we do when confronted by moments of darkness and challenge, we must now come together as one American family. All of us must have the people of Aurora in our thoughts and prayers as they confront the loss of family, friends, and neighbors, and we must stand together with them in the challenging hours and days to come.

Romney responds to shooting:

“Ann and I are deeply saddened by the news of the senseless violence that took the lives of 15 people in Colorado and injured dozens more. We are praying for the families and loved ones of the victims during this time of deep shock and immense grief. We expect that the person responsible for this terrible crime will be quickly brought to justice.”

The Dark Knight Rises Paris premiere has been canceled following the shooting. Bale, Hathaway, Freeman cancel interviews.

Warner Bros. issued a statement:

"Warner Bros. is deeply saddened to learn about this shocking incident. We extend our sincere sympathies to the families and loved ones of the victims at this tragic time."

ABC News contacted the suspect's mother:

A San Diego woman identifying herself as James Holmes's mother spoke briefly with ABC News this morning.
She had awoken unaware of the news of the shooting and had not been contacted by authorities. She immediately expressed concern that her son may have been involved.

"You have the right person," she said.

"I need to call the police," she added. "I need to fly out to Colorado."

An early news report from ABC News, AFTER THE JUMP...

An earlier ABC News report:

Comments

1. Republican's, the Second Amendment and your NRA at work!!

Posted by: CB | Jul 20, 2012 7:16:16 AM

2. I don't understand how this can happen. Colorado is a God-fearing, Jesus-loving, Queer-hating, comformity-demanding, rugged-individualism-preaching conservative state.

Having vented my spleen about American religion, this is just heart-breaking. One doesn't know what to do with this. SO very sorry.

Posted by: Daniel Berry, NYC | Jul 20, 2012 7:18:48 AM

3. As George Zimmerman would say: "it was God's will"

Posted by: mikeflower | Jul 20, 2012 7:44:40 AM

4. The youngest treated in the hospital is a 3-month-old baby.
    So very sad. Unbelievable. Condolence to the families lost their love one/s. And lots of support to the entire community.

Posted by: Matt26 | Jul 20, 2012 7:50:54 AM

5. 1. It was 12 people that died, not 14.

2. Who brings a 3 month old baby to a midnight movie that is 2 hours and 45 mins long?!!

Posted by: AJ | Jul 20, 2012 8:52:50 AM

6. AJ, a baby that age will ordinarily sleep even through a loud movie.

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Jul 20, 2012 9:03:48 AM

7. I dont think it matters if a baby that age normally sleeps through a moivie. That is stil no place for a three month old. That is really stupid. Also, I think the kind of person who stands around and videos the aftermath of a disaster is sick and needs a kick in the a$$, not time on the news.

Posted by: DrJWL | Jul 20, 2012 9:09:14 AM

8. At a mutliplex theater, 5 or 10 DIFFERENT movies are showing at the same time, so of course, the killer doesn't fire at the crowd outside the theater, or inside the lobby or waiting to buy tickets. The killer breaks into the specific auditorium that's showing "The Dark Knight Rises" and fires on the crowd watching THAT movie. Oh, I get it. Thanks, Rush Limbaugh.

Posted by: Artie_in_Lauderdale | Jul 20, 2012 9:41:08 AM

9. It's 13 people now. A 6 year old just died too.

Posted by: AJ | Jul 20, 2012 10:19:15 AM

10. @Artie_in_Lauderdale: I thought the same thing, of course whether there's a connection we'll just have to wait & see.

Posted by: wolfbane | Jul 20, 2012 10:37:20 AM

11. I don't think this story is going to pan out the way some think. There may even be a gay angle. We shall see.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 20, 2012 10:50:58 AM

12. I don't think this story is going to pan out the way some think. There may even be a gay angle. We shall see.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 20, 2012 10:50:59 AM

13. sad

R.I.P those who died and best wishes for the wounded to recover quickly

Posted by: say what | Jul 20, 2012 10:53:41 AM

14. And the NRA and right-wingers release a statement exploiting this tragedy to claim that Obama will now be pushing for tighter gun laws and a watered-down 2nd Amendment in 5...4...3...2...

Posted by: Dback | Jul 20, 2012 11:02:29 AM

15. Before anyone goes off on Ratbastard, keep in mind that trolls like him and Rick post things like that simply to infuriate you. They thrive off it.

Posted by: endo | Jul 20, 2012 11:02:50 AM

16. Ratbastard, the only "gay angle" here is the slope of your head.

Posted by: CVP | Jul 20, 2012 11:04:53 AM

17. I see, the left-wing scum is salivating to use the tragedy for their political purposes. Starting from the very first comment. I could say Have you no shame? But I know you don't.

Posted by: AG | Jul 20, 2012 11:20:03 AM

18. Mental illness will always be around (and killers) but it's a lot harder to do spree killings when you don't have automatic weapons. The sheer number of rounds that were fired points to that fact. To anyone who doesn't understand that I wish you were in that theater.

Posted by: unruly | Jul 20, 2012 11:32:13 AM

19. @AG how's about you take your 2nd Amendment pistol and shove it up your..... never mind. That would be shameless, wouldn't it?

Well, as I sit here salivating, let me say this AG: it is time to stop the NRA and its advocacy of gun violence and murder.

Go ahead, AG. Support the NRA. Meanwhile, wipe that blood off your hands.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jul 20, 2012 12:45:38 PM

20. GOP bigot Gohmert is already using these deaths to promote his own right-wing Pro-Gun Pro-Jeebus agenda. sad but true.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jul 20, 2012 12:55:09 PM

21. This is obviously a horrible and senseless crime. However shame on ABC for calling his mother! That might just be standard protocol, but wow.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Jul 20, 2012 12:55:33 PM

22. Ah, Colorado and mass shootings. Where have we seen this before?? Michael Moore might have been right about CO.

Posted by: anon | Jul 20, 2012 1:00:40 PM

23. Oh please. I'm not a troll, you call anybody you don't like or don't agree with, trolls.

He's obviously mentally ill or has a serious personality disorder. And yes, it's possible he's a LGBT'er, why not?

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 20, 2012 2:42:10 PM

24. I can tell that he's mentally ill because I'm mentally ill as well. I mean, I make up stories about black people murdering my dad so I can continue to post anti-black sentiments online. Does that sound sane to you?

Posted by: ratbastard | Jul 20, 2012 2:53:05 PM

25. @RATBASTARD: and it's possible he is not. Why don't you wait for the real FACTS before you spout of your nonsense. Allow the authorities to do the investigating, you know nothing there Columbo.

Posted by: MATT | Jul 20, 2012 3:09:32 PM