Music | News

Singer Frank Ocean Comes Out: 'I Feel Like A Free Man'

FrankOceanOutResponding to rumors that he was coming out on his next album, Channel Orange, singer-songwriter Frank Ocean confirmed via Tumblr that he is indeed a gay man.

The declaration, build around the first time he fell in love, was meant to be included in Channel Orange's liner notes, but Ocrean decided to publish them ahead of time. Here is the bit about struggling to come to terms with his emotions as the love of his life bottled his own:

4 summers ago, I met somebody. I was 19 years old. He was too. We spent that summer, and the summer after, together. Everyday almost. And on the days we were together, time would glide. Most of the day I'd see him, and his smile. I'd hear his conversation and his silence ... until it was time to sleep. Sleep I would often share with him. By the time I realized I was in love, it was malignant. It was hopeless...

I sat there and told my friend how I felt. I wept as the words left my mouth. I grieved for them, knowing I could never take them back for myself. He patted my back. He said kind things. He did his best, but he wouldn't admit the same. He had to go back inside soon. It was late and his girlfriend was waiting for him upstairs. He wouldn't tell me the truth about his feelings for me for another 3 years. I felt like I'd only imagined reciprocity for years. Now imagine being thrown from a cliff. No, I wasn't on a cliff, I was still in my car telling myself it was gonna be fine and to take deep breaths. I took the breaths and carried on. I kept up a peculiar friendship with him because I couldn't imagine keeping up my life without him. I struggled to master myself and my emotions. I wasn't always successful.

He concludes, "To my mother, you raised me strong. I know I'm only brave because you were first ... so thank you. All of you. For everything good. I feel like a free man."

Read the rest of Ocean's coming out remarks, which I've included as a pop-out window, AFTER THE JUMP.

FrankOceanTumblr

Comments

1. wow, that's great! Thank you for having the courage to do that! I'm sure I will love your new album.

Posted by: Bryce Ageno | Jul 4, 2012 9:05:14 AM

2. Wow, pretty beautiful description of love. I don't even have to hear his music to know he has a beautiful soul.

Posted by: WayneMPLS | Jul 4, 2012 9:14:06 AM

3. So pleased that "Jason" is upset by this.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jul 4, 2012 9:20:18 AM

4. Who?

Posted by: MusicMan | Jul 4, 2012 9:24:52 AM

5. I'm with you, Waynempls, I'm buying his album, simply for the man he seems to be...

Posted by: Kile Ozier | Jul 4, 2012 9:25:45 AM

6. Beautiful words. He is an incredible talent, I hope he becomes a huge star. I cannot wait for his album to come out.

Posted by: jon | Jul 4, 2012 9:27:51 AM

7. Been there, and at almost exactly the same age. 1975.

It's pretty devastating. My first love then 3-4 years later married my first girlfriend, and I was the best man.

I've always thought that falling in love with a straight man was a way to prevent actually having to deal with being gay. Pretty much learned that lesson: no more straight guys after that!

Posted by: KevinVT | Jul 4, 2012 9:28:55 AM

8. His career, his decision.

Posted by: Beck | Jul 4, 2012 9:33:07 AM

9. He's deep...

Posted by: Mike | Jul 4, 2012 9:34:30 AM

10. So happy for Frank. I feel relieved for him. I will be checking out his new album. This will be my way to show my support for him and other gay artists, and send the message that your career doesn't have to end simply because you love another man.

Posted by: Armando Sanchez | Jul 4, 2012 9:38:06 AM

11. this is brilliant. i just hope it's not some crazy publicity stunt

Posted by: DanSwon | Jul 4, 2012 9:45:43 AM

12. Congrats you are a free man on Independence Day.

Posted by: Kimono | Jul 4, 2012 9:47:16 AM

13. I'm so happy for him. That was a beautiful description of the first time that he fell in love. I hope he receives a lot of support.

Posted by: cadence | Jul 4, 2012 10:38:39 AM

14. check out his live performance of beyonce's "i miss you" on youtube. so beautiful & now i understand how layered that mustve been for him

Posted by: eduard | Jul 4, 2012 10:43:06 AM

15. Please buy Frank Ocean's album.

Posted by: Mel Smith | Jul 4, 2012 10:43:20 AM

16. He is not a "gay" man. He's bisexual. Sorry, but you can't brand him.

Posted by: bruce | Jul 4, 2012 10:46:11 AM

17. Gee, Andrew Belonsky must has missed the memo. The mainstream music sites are referring to Frank as bisexual, not gay. Can't stand bisexual men, Andrew? Don't serve your purpose for promoting the gay brand, eh?

Posted by: bruce | Jul 4, 2012 10:48:02 AM

18. It's not like everyday a brave man comes out as gay. Especially when he is a singer. One can only hope his fans and music industry will be kind towards him, and hopefully they will respond positively. Bravo Frank Ocean.

Posted by: Calvin | Jul 4, 2012 10:49:23 AM

19. I love him! Proud of him! Uncle Russ had some beautiful words to say about this. This is awesome.

Posted by: Dan | Jul 4, 2012 10:51:10 AM

20. It's just hilarious how obsessed some allegedly straight men (Jason) are with gay websites, isn't it? Like moths to a flame?

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Jul 4, 2012 10:55:08 AM

21. @Bruce, you just said "you can't brand him" but you called him bisexual. Are you confused, or do you not know that bisexual is a label just like gay is?

Posted by: MrJ | Jul 4, 2012 10:56:33 AM

22. Maybe Tayler Perry will get a clue now. If Obama can "come out of the closet", more black dudes should take this giant step too. Just saying...Proud of Frank:)

Posted by: Dan | Jul 4, 2012 10:58:06 AM

23. @Jason, thanks for trolling on in here and really summing up the gay community with your witty insights. I think I'll go lie down on my semen covered mattress now. I hope no one takes your ignorant remarks to seriously, I certainly don't.

Posted by: MrJ | Jul 4, 2012 11:00:30 AM

24. Hey Bruce, Why don't you SHUT THE F*CK UP! about what Black men should do.

They don't owe your white ass any explanation. Worry about your own. Many White Men still live in the closet as well.

Thank You! And celebrate your independence idiot!

Posted by: Chris DA CHOCOLATEBEARCUB | Jul 4, 2012 11:03:18 AM

25. Maybe he'll convince Tyler the Creator to stop calling people faggots?

Posted by: endo | Jul 4, 2012 11:05:35 AM