New York | Video | YouTube

The Allegedly Amusing Misadventures Of Two Fictional Closet Cases: VIDEO

HomoThugs

This video, which seeks to be (and, some say, succeeds in being) hilarious, is from Jermaine Fowler, star of the soon-to-be resurrected In Living Color, and comic Kevin Barnett, of New York City. It's part of an in-progress web series called "Homo Thugs," which promises a "real look inside the lives of two homophobic, in-the-closet gangsters." Funny?

Readers at work, please note: The language is coarse.

Watch AFTER THE JUMP ...

Comments

1. I think I missed the homophobic part, was stuck on how odd it was

Posted by: luke | Jul 14, 2012 9:11:25 AM

2. It's very on point about how 'thugs' police each others self-expression when it comes to masculinity and sex.

I'm getting that it was not to this poster's liking when he snarks that it's 'allegedly amusing' and 'funny.'

I'm not sure what he missed. I'm not missing it. This is funny and scathing.

Posted by: yonkersconquers | Jul 14, 2012 9:58:00 AM

3. P.S. "What's his hat size?" is my favorite line.

Posted by: yonkersconquers | Jul 14, 2012 10:02:42 AM

4. I didn't find this video humorous at all. I just see how these perpetuate the negative stereo types of black men. It even comes across coonish on so many levels.

Posted by: Mark | Jul 14, 2012 10:23:14 AM

5. I meant to say these two young men. Typing way too fast....lol

Posted by: Mark | Jul 14, 2012 10:24:50 AM

6. hmm was strange - they played into every stereotype.....

Posted by: disgusted american | Jul 14, 2012 10:25:56 AM

7. hmm was strange - they played into every stereotype.....

Posted by: disgusted american | Jul 14, 2012 10:26:01 AM

8. Brandon, I've had friends tell me that I'm 'whiter than white' My wardrobe is mostly from J. Crew (with some Polo thrown in for good measure) I own multiple pairs of both searsucker and madris shorts and pants. My favorite musicians list includes both Bruce and Billy, and no rappers. I still find this pretty damn funny, I have no idea what you're complaining about.

Posted by: Matt in NYC | Jul 14, 2012 10:38:20 AM

9. Oh, also, before anyone complains that I just like this because it's stereotypical, (there were 5 posts while I was watching/typing) I live in the heights, and visit my bestie and his husband 5 blocks away in Harlem about every other week. And I'm not talking gentrified Harlem, I'm talking about seeing a guy on a quad doing wheelies on Adam Clayton Powell at 4pm on a Sunday around 134th. (Shout out to Yatenga, best french in Harlem)

Posted by: Matt in NYC | Jul 14, 2012 10:43:02 AM

10. This is foreign. We don't have these kinds of people in our exclusive neighborhood

Posted by: Jim | Jul 14, 2012 10:58:53 AM

11. i thought that was really funny. why are you all so uptight? i will definitely watch the show if it's consistently as funny as this

Posted by: DanSwon | Jul 14, 2012 11:00:51 AM

12. Allegedly homophobic is more like it. I guess some people don't know satire when they see it. It's a satire on homophobia as well as on "every stereotype" of the thug culture. Oh yeah, and on closet cases, too. That's some funny stuff, yo.

Posted by: Jacques | Jul 14, 2012 11:02:33 AM

13. Can someone please explain to me what I just watched?

Posted by: Beef and Fur | Jul 14, 2012 11:04:09 AM

14. Huh? What's homophobic and in-the-closet about two men sitting on a stoop - presumably in their own neighborhood - yelling "you want me to sit on that?" to a hot guy walking down the street, then loudly discussing gym erections before doing an appletini dance on their way to a gay bar? I'm not sure I would have even noticed these guys if they were on my block. I did enjoy the two seconds of his stupid saggy pants falling off his ass, though.

Posted by: don | Jul 14, 2012 11:04:36 AM

15. I laughed at the "appletininigaz, appletininigaz".

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Jul 14, 2012 11:20:36 AM

16. I thought it was hilarious

Posted by: @z0mKi | Jul 14, 2012 11:29:16 AM

17. Thawas funny. I'm sorry some of you guys are so overly PC that you don't get it. You should know, though...just between you and me, that is exactly what people hate about liberals.

Posted by: DrJWL | Jul 14, 2012 11:29:22 AM

18. Brandon, take the sand out of your 2xist underwear. The language wasn't coarse, the content wasn't homophobic, and honestly this is hilarious. Post something or don't but I won't let you have your cake and eat it to. Thanks though, this has enriched my life/day. :-)

Posted by: Solomon | Jul 14, 2012 11:36:01 AM

19. I didn't really think it was that funny, but I smiled a few times. Certainly not homophobic or offensive. Lighten up.

Posted by: Zell | Jul 14, 2012 12:17:54 PM

20. It was ...odd- tho kinda funny actually-

also - google the guys and watch some of their youtube standup vids- awesome!!!!! Def some good talent

Posted by: scott | Jul 14, 2012 12:35:37 PM

21. @Solomon - To be fair, Brandon didn't call this homophobic, that's part of the video's description.

Posted by: antisaint | Jul 14, 2012 1:09:45 PM

22. My vote is funny. Kind of explicit for network TV (the n word). Is this supposed to be part of the revamped In Living Color or just viral marketing for the show?

Curious, would this type of humor help break down discrimination towards gays in this culture or reinforce negative stereotypes? Either way, it's funny from my perspective.

Posted by: MattS | Jul 14, 2012 1:22:32 PM

23. Brilliant satire. That doesn't surprise me because "In Living Color" was also a very funny show.

Posted by: Artie_in_Lauderdale | Jul 14, 2012 2:07:33 PM

24. That was great. The energy, the timing, the characters. I would think it will help break down discrimination because the guys are likeable and attractive.

Posted by: Linda | Jul 14, 2012 2:33:40 PM

25. Minstrel show. I hope the new In Living Color is better than this.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Jul 14, 2012 8:54:43 PM