Chick-fil-A | Muppets | News

BigGayDeal.com

The Muppets Cut Ties with Chick-Fil-A Over Anti-Gay Policies

Muppets

The Jim Henson Company, creator of The Muppets, has ended its relationship with Chick-Fil-A over its donations to anti-gay causes, it said in a Facebook note posted on Friday:

The Jim Henson Company has celebrated and embraced diversity and inclusiveness for over fifty years and we have notified Chick-Fil-A that we do not wish to partner with them on any future endeavors.  Lisa Henson, our CEO is personally a strong supporter of gay marriage and has directed us to donate the payment we received from Chick-Fil-A to GLAAD.

You may have missed...
Chick-Fil-A Does Damage Control [tlrd]
'Hangover' And 'Office' Star Ed Helms Off Anti-Gay Chick-Fil-A [tlrd]
Chick-Fil-A President Says We Are 'Inviting God's Judgment' Letting Gays Marry: AUDIO [tlrd]
Make Your Very Own 'Chick-Fil-Gay' Sandwich! — VIDEO [tlrd]
Chick-Fil-A Chief Dan Cathy Says Company is 'Guilty as Charged' of Anti-Gay Activities [tlrd]

Comments

1. Love it! Go Muppets!

Posted by: Jack M | Jul 23, 2012 10:48:44 AM

2. Take it away Kermit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSFLZ-MzIhM

Posted by: Michael | Jul 23, 2012 10:52:07 AM

3. I always knew that something was going on between Kermit, Fozzie, and the Swedish Chef.

Posted by: Paul R | Jul 23, 2012 10:59:29 AM

4. What took them so long? Chick-Fil-A was well known as anti-gay long before this latest outburst and admission of guilt by its CEO.

Posted by: Tim NC | Jul 23, 2012 11:03:04 AM

5. I know this is a nerdy distinction, but "The Muppets" have been owned by Disney for some time now. Disney has not cut any ties with Chick-fil-A (though I'm not sure they ever had any), and so The Muppets are therefore not cutting any such ties.

Posted by: Brian | Jul 23, 2012 11:04:05 AM

6. @TIM NC It was not "definite" until Mr Chick-fil-a said so.

Posted by: Blake | Jul 23, 2012 11:08:15 AM

7. "What took them so long? Chick-Fil-A was well known as anti-gay long before this latest outburst and admission of guilt by its CEO."

Agreed - though I almost prefer it happening now. Many more people are watching and many more people will learn Chick-fil-A's contributions to NOM, etc., are just as good as a contribution to any other brand of hate group.

Posted by: kpo5 | Jul 23, 2012 11:09:01 AM

8. Well, if that's not giving CFA the (Big) Bird, I don't know what is! What to go Muppet clan.

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Jul 23, 2012 11:24:48 AM

9. Hate to say it, but BrianJason is right. This story has nothing to do with the Muppets. Jim Henson Company hasn't owned the Muppets in nearly a decade.

Posted by: endo | Jul 23, 2012 11:25:18 AM

10. Regardless of who currently owns the Muppets, the Henson name is the one most people associate with the Muppets, so there is still value in them making the statement and putting their profit from the association to a pro-gay use. Lord knows the rightwing piggies like Huckabee (who, presumably, also doesn't own the Muppets) will be singing the company's praises while stuffing their faces with chicken, so any voices lending momentum to exposing CFA's bigotry is welcome.

Posted by: Ernie | Jul 23, 2012 12:04:24 PM

11. How long before Bryan Fissure says the Muppets are the spawn of Satan?

Posted by: Sylvatica | Jul 23, 2012 12:23:43 PM

12. I love that some of CFAs hate-made money is going to GLAAD. Hilarious. And of course the Muppets can't support CFA.... We all know Gonzo loves (living) chicken.

Posted by: Graphicjack | Jul 23, 2012 1:23:46 PM

13. For the record, I agree that this is great news regardless of who actually owns The Muppets. My comment was only in the hopes of correcting the factually wrong headline "The Muppets Cut Ties With Chick-fil-A...". I am curious what Disney thinks about all of this, though.

Posted by: Brian | Jul 23, 2012 2:55:24 PM

14. Go Muppets! I stopped eating at Chick-fil-A over a year ago when I found out about their anti-gay policies. People didn't believe me and told me I was crazy. Who's crazy now?

Two days ago, five of us went to a mall food court with a Chick-fil-A. It is normally backed up beyond belief. But not this time! Hardly any business, and of course, the 5 of us ate elsewhere.

Posted by: Maria | Jul 23, 2012 10:27:43 PM

15. It should be pointed out that Richard Hunt, one of the original Muppeteers, was openly gay (in the 1970s, when that was a deal). Sadly he passed away of AIDS-related complications in 1992.

Posted by: Hampshire Ite | Jul 24, 2012 1:41:35 PM

16. I WILL continue to support Chick-fil-A. They are particular as to who they hire. Clean cut,friendly,wholesome looking employees. I feel good when I go there as you are always greeted with respect. Other fast food chains are not so particular. You can see the difference. I have walked out of many fast food chains (won't mention any names) because of the negativity, poor management, etc. Chick-fil-A represents strong moral values. Only GOOD can come from that! I will continue to go there and be reminded that there are still good people in the world. The food is great too! God Bless you

Posted by: Kathleen | Jul 25, 2012 5:32:54 PM

17. How many parents would cut ties with the muppets if they put a few gay and/or lesbian muppets on their programs. Just how supportive is Lisa Henson?

Posted by: kenneth | Jul 26, 2012 6:52:39 PM

18. Always hated the Muppets. Who cares? Jim's ghost seems to have a lot of opinions.

Posted by: Josh | Aug 4, 2012 7:52:49 PM